dCS new flagship

When CD was released, it was all done in the one box. Then someone had the bright idea to separate the functionality into two boxes, transport and DAC with an interface (SPDIF ). This was the first level of added complexity, As you add more interfaces the complexity increases. Having an external clock also adds complexity.

Simplicity is when you have all the essential aspects close together with optimised interfaces. Examples would be:

- the source as in CD optical drive close to the DAC connected by a short I2S bus;
- the clock should be as close to the DAC as possible to minimise jitter;
- not having multiple inputs and outputs with selection switching and extra processing/digital devices;
- digital devices are essentially noisy on the power supply, so the more processing you have the more noise;

Naim were very smart when they designed their first CD player, the CDS, in that they made it 2 boxes with all the essentials optimised in one and the power supply in the other. They also used the best of the Philips transports and selected 1541.

A rebuilt CDS with better parts (audio grade capacitors, UF rectifiers, improved regulators, no digital filtering/oversampling) and a clever analog filter would be something special.

The modern trend for digital is to have as much functionality/options/inputs as possible with everything externalised and connected with uber cables. Those that I have heard always sound wrong to me. :)

The Vivaldi offering is built with many boxes and it sounds great to my ears. But dCS offers one box solutions at both Rossini and Vivaldi level if you prefer that.

Reactions: sonrock
Hi Amir,

Although not a final deciding factor for me, I do consider the number of boxes because it directly affects:

- Number of upgraded power cords I need to buy;
- Number of vibration control feet/platforms I need to buy;
- Number of extra plug sockets I now need on my power filtration boxes;
-Number of shelf spaces I have;
-Number of upgraded interconnects I will need.

So for me personally the more boxes I have, the more the price jumps exponentially.

This is a good point. Well done sir.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing