dCS new flagship

I'm not advocating for more boxes (I only have one)! I'm just saying that technically it can be exactly the same thing (or sometimes even worse).

When it comes to digital, sometimes having everything crammed in close to each other may not be a good idea.

Well, in what I like, there is not a lot to cram in. but short signal paths are always a good idea.

In your post, you mention a lot of things which are not so obvious, for example: some advocate for optical connection to the source (ex: MSB) rather than I2S (which is prone to noise, since it is a high bandwidth electrical connection).

You are talking about transferring signals between two different boxes which is totally different than within one unit. With two boxes you have potential grounding/noise issues when you have electrical connections. Even with optical connections it still gets converted to I2S to go into the DAC.

Rather than argue pointlessly about the design, it's best to wait and listen.

Who's arguing? :)

You are talking about transferring signals between two different boxes which is totally different than within one unit. With two boxes you have potential grounding/noise issues when you have electrical connections. Even with optical connections it still gets converted to I2S to go into the DAC.
Not necessarily.

Anyway, once the actual product is out you can compare it to others. Technical arguments about the number of boxes are not really compelling.

Not necessarily.

Anyway, once the actual product is out you can compare it to others. Technical arguments about the number of boxes are not really compelling.

I have nine (9) Lamm boxes. I wish it were three: two mono amps and one full function phono/pre amplifier. I have compared the one box phono to the three box phono and the one box preamp to the four box preamp. I have kept all of them, but in each case, more boxes sound better. I wish it were not the case, believe me.

I certainly do not know in the case of digital why more boxes would sound better. One thing is clear though: more boxes cost more. Those who like dCS will have to listen and decide if it is worth it, just as I did with Lamm.

Reactions: Amir and mtemur
I have nine (9) Lamm boxes. I wish it were three: two mono amps and one full function phono/pre amplifier. I have compared the one box phono to the three box phono and the one box preamp to the four box preamp. I have kept all of them, but in each case, more boxes sound better. I wish it were not the case, believe me.

I certainly do not know in the case of digital why more boxes would sound better. One thing is clear though: more boxes cost more. Those who like dCS will have to listen and decide if it is worth it, just as I did with Lamm.
Let's not forget they where built to sound better, at a higher purchasing price. ;)

Thank you
I think audiophiles should listen in right setup, I do not know why they think about number of boxes.

I do not know why they think about number of boxes.
Hi Amir,

Although not a final deciding factor for me, I do consider the number of boxes because it directly affects:

- Number of upgraded power cords I need to buy;
- Number of vibration control feet/platforms I need to buy;
- Number of extra plug sockets I now need on my power filtration boxes;
-Number of shelf spaces I have;
-Number of upgraded interconnects I will need.

So for me personally the more boxes I have, the more the price jumps exponentially.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing