Declining use of negative feedback - trend?

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
In my recent amplifier search, I've noticed that designers are declining to use as much negative feedback. Some manufacturers like BAT and Ayre Acoustics have always been against global negative feedback. Dartzeel is another famous example that tries to avoid negative feedback as much as possible. Nelson Pass penned a white paper on the subject in 2008 that is one of the best I've read on the subject:

https://passlabs.com/articles/audio-distortion-and-feedback

Martin Colloms said Dan D'agostino is down to using 5dbs of negative feedback in his latest Momentum amps- correlation with alleged better sound quality?

The last few amplifiers I've tried (Ayre VX-5 currently in my home on loan) have all sounded better without it- highs are more natural and the upper midrange has better clarity. Sure, there are plenty of other design choices that impact sound---but is the simpler circuit without negative feedback one of the bigger ones? This also goes hand in hand with some that say amps can sound better but "measure worse"- as THD is one of the goals of loop negative feedback.

Digital amps often use loads of negative feedback as well, so this could be one reason that audiophiles have moved away from this topology over the years since their highly anticipated arrival. I owned a pair of Rowland 201s for all of one week. Sure the bass was great, but the rest was awful.

Are audiophiles learning the perils of negative feedback loops?

KeithR

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio

KeithR

And just what might these supposed perils be?

I would go with Bruno Putzeys opinion:

The F-Word - or, why there is no such thing as too much feedback

In Linear Audio Volume 1, Bruno Putzeys wrote The F-word - or, why there is no such thing as too much feedback. He addresses many issues related to the use of feedback in audio, as well as several misconceptions. The section on 'slow' and 'fast' amplifiers will be an eyeopener for many. He also traces historical events that puts us in the situation we are now. A critical attitude towards negative feedback is certainly healthy, and Bruno gives us the information to base our opinion on.

http://www.linearaudio.net/images/onlinearticlesPDF/volume1bp.pdf

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
its not so simple to paint a black and white world when i comes to feedback. there are gray areas, some feedback can sound better in a power amp for instance, adjustable feedback helps with matching to speaker loads for an even feq response. there are no hard fast rules that says little or no feedback is best.

i owned the rowland concerta briefly it used identical ICE modules as the 201, lets just say it wasnt Jeff's best work. OTOH, the mola mlola amps i recently heard driving Vivids at newport was the best class-d ive ever heard and imo one of the best demos at the show.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
And just what might these supposed perils be?

I would go with Bruno Putzeys opinion:

The F-Word - or, why there is no such thing as too much feedback

In Linear Audio Volume 1, Bruno Putzeys wrote The F-word - or, why there is no such thing as too much feedback. He addresses many issues related to the use of feedback in audio, as well as several misconceptions. The section on 'slow' and 'fast' amplifiers will be an eyeopener for many. He also traces historical events that puts us in the situation we are now. A critical attitude towards negative feedback is certainly healthy, and Bruno gives us the information to base our opinion on.

http://www.linearaudio.net/images/onlinearticlesPDF/volume1bp.pdf

That article pre-supposes that lack of feedback is related normally to valve amplifiers and juiced second order harmonics. Every amp I've listed above is solid state and doesn't have frequency response issues. In fact, MikeL says the Dart has the most extended, natural top end he's ever heard.

Marko Dvecko

Oct 7, 2022
Croatia
mozzaik-audio.com
Negative feedback is not completely understood for the audio. I like to use it a lot in my designs. There is a boundary when it is too much and sound subjectively starts to degrade. What is causing it I don't know. Whatever it is, we cannot measure it with methods that we are currenty using. For that reason we (designers) need to listen in combination with measurements to build best posible device.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
First you design the best amp you can without. Then take this guy's advice. "currently in my home on loan) have all sounded better without it- highs are more natural and the upper midrange has better clarity"[text mitted]
"

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
In my recent amplifier search, I've noticed that designers are declining to use as much negative feedback. Some manufacturers like BAT and Ayre Acoustics have always been against global negative feedback. Dartzeel is another famous example that tries to avoid negative feedback as much as possible. Nelson Pass penned a white paper on the subject in 2008 that is one of the best I've read on the subject:

Martin Colloms said Dan D'agostino is down to using 5dbs of negative feedback in his latest Momentum amps- correlation with alleged better sound quality?

The last few amplifiers I've tried (Ayre VX-5 currently in my home on loan) have all sounded better without it- highs are more natural and the upper midrange has better clarity. Sure, there are plenty of other design choices that impact sound---but is the simpler circuit without negative feedback one of the bigger ones? This also goes hand in hand with some that say amps can sound better but "measure worse"- as THD is one of the goals of loop negative feedback.

Digital amps often use loads of negative feedback as well, so this could be one reason that audiophiles have moved away from this topology over the years since their highly anticipated arrival. I owned a pair of Rowland 201s for all of one week. Sure the bass was great, but the rest was awful.

KeithR
Yes, it seems there is now and awareness of this...although the Class D amps like the new ones from Atmasphere go the exact opposite direction and pile on as much feedback as they possibly can.

I myself have been completely feedback free from source to amp since 2006...just sounds the most natural to me that way. Even when it wasn't a SET it was that way (the VAC 30/30 has defeatable feedback and it sounds best on zero) and the NAT hybrid I had was also completely without feedback...the Symbiosis SE would be a great choice for your Fynes...if you can find one.

NAT Symbiosis SE.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
That article pre-supposes that lack of feedback is related normally to valve amplifiers and juiced second order harmonics. Every amp I've listed above is solid state and doesn't have frequency response issues. In fact, MikeL says the Dart has the most extended, natural top end he's ever heard.
A single ended, class A MOSFET output stage can also be quite natural sounding with no feedback.

Reactions: Gregadd

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Way back in the 1970's negative feedback was commonly used to reduce THD. There were THD wars among many manufacturers to market amps with the lowest rated THD and they often achieved it by adding NFB. Then users and reviewers began to notice that despite having low THD these amps actually sounded worse than their counterparts with less NFB and higher THD. This led to Matti Otala of Harman Kardon discovering a previously unknown type of distortion, Transient Intermodulation Distortion (TID) which increased with the addition of NFB. He found a correlation of higher TID related to the harsh sound many found with the high NFB low THD designs. At that point the judicious use of NFB to lower THD was found to be useful, but done to excessive levels caused more harm than good. A balance could be found to optimize levels of THD and TIM distortions. Just an example of how we don't always know everything to measure or how various types of distortion can be interrelated.

Reactions: marty

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
We think that NFB is a powerful tool, but quite often, it is painted as a bad guy of audio. It has it's pros and cons, and it is up to a designer, to make it right.

Somebody mentioned: "make the best amplifier, nd then apply feedback", and it is great though.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
We think that NFB is a powerful tool, but quite often, it is painted as a bad guy of audio. It has it's pros and cons, and it is up to a designer, to make it right.

Somebody mentioned: "make the best amplifier, nd then apply feedback", and it is great though.
Still waiting for that to happen... :eek:

Reactions: analogsa

charles1dad

VIP/Donor
Aug 22, 2021
Michigan, USA.

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
"Negative feedback" is very general. Is it local, is it global, how is it implemented...

To generalize grossly, I prefer designs not needing to have global negative feedback, some local feedback here and there is quite acceptable.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
"Negative feedback" is very general. Is it local, is it global, how is it implemented...

To generalize grossly, I prefer designs not needing to have global negative feedback, some local feedback here and there is quite acceptable.
There would be no "no global feedback" amplifier, without local feedback. There is a very interesting book by dr. Kalinummi titled "Towards inherently linear amplifier". Highly recommended, but it's an expert-level book about electronics.
Super complex design and a very unreasonable price tag. That's the short version.

Reactions: Marko Dvecko

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com

KeithR
No. They are learning though that some designers don't know how to design a feedback loop properly. There's a difference.
Negative feedback is not completely understood for the audio. I like to use it a lot in my designs. There is a boundary when it is too much and sound subjectively starts to degrade. What is causing it I don't know. Whatever it is, we cannot measure it with methods that we are currenty using. For that reason we (designers) need to listen in combination with measurements to build best posible device.
Feedback is well-known in the rest of the industry as 'control theory'. Its also very well understood. We now have all the tools we need to measure what we need to, although I don't think that was true 35-40 years ago. IME/IMO most audiophiles are living their lives and making decisions based on measurement techniques from the 1980s and not the 21st century.
This statement is false. You might want to re-read Bruno's article. It focuses much more on the idea of having sufficient Gain Bandwidth Product to allow the feedback applied to be supported at all audio frequencies. The fact that most amps made do not do this is why they also have rising distortion with frequency. The only way to get around that problem is to either have enough GBP or don't use any feedback at all: that allows the distortion to be constant with frequency.
Still waiting for that to happen... :eek:
Feedback is tricky for a number of reasons!

1) if the amp lacks gain bandwidth product, the feedback will decrease at a certain frequency, causing distortion to rise with frequency. IME this contributes to brightness and harshness. GBP works sort of like this: if the GBP is 10MHz and you have a gain of 1, the bandwidth is 10MHz. If a gain of 10 in the circuit then bandwidth of 1 MHz, above which is a 6dB slope.

2) often there are frequency poles in the amplifier design that cause phase shift, such that at a certain frequency the feedback becomes positive rather than negative due to the phase shift introduced by the frequency poles (this is filter theory 101). This aspect of any amplifier is known as 'phase margin'; if you exceed the phase margin of the design with an inappropriate feedback loop it will be prone to oscillation.

3) The point in the amp where the feedback is applied is often non-linear, causing the feedback to be distorted before it can do its job. Traditionally, to get around this more feedback is needed but you can get into TIM distortion since part of the feedback node is uncontrolled by the feedback.

4) because of 3), there is a sort of bell curve where the feedback adds so much higher ordered harmonics and IM that the result is though the amp overall has lower distortion, what distortion it has is the kind to which the ear is the most sensitive because the feedback has added it through its faulty application. Since harmonics are responsible for the sound of all instruments its no surprise that adding higher orders thus generated results in brightness. If you run a little feedback this isn't so bad and if you run enough its not so bad either. In between is where you get into trouble, in particular if the feedback node isn't linear (which is true with most amps made that use feedback). This is between 12 and 30dB.

Regarding 3) above, if your feedback node is more linear then less feedback is needed to make things work and you can wind up with a more musical amplifier. I like to point to the Dynaco ST70 and ST35 as an example. The latter uses a 12AX7 section's cathode as its feedback node while the former uses a pentode. Simply due to the greater linearity of the 12AX7 section, the feedback applied to the ST35 is less distorted and so does less damage doing its job; this is one of the reasons its a more musical amplifier.

The most linear way to apply feedback is to not use any active devices!

An example of this is the feedback used around an opamp. Opamps in theory have infinite gain, which is corralled and the gain set by how much feedback is used. In practice although opamps don't have infinite gain, they do have quite a lot (+120dB) and so the gain they have is effectively set by the ratio between the input resistor and the feedback resistor, which are passive devices. If they are the same value, the opamp has 100% feedback and is said to have 'unity gain'.

If you understand all that I wrote so far then this will make sense:

A number of class D amplifiers use this technique opamps use to apply feedback. Self oscillating class D amps also use so much feedback that the phase margin is exceeded and they go into oscillation as soon as you turn them on. The feedback network is designed to allow the amp to find exactly one frequency for the oscillation, which is used as the switching frequency. In this way a very large amount of feedback can be applied and in a very linear way so it can do the most good.

Its not that far of a stretch to see that any amplifier design could be done to use feedback in this manner and thus allow the designer to get around some of the limitations otherwise imposed by limited Gain Bandwidth Product and other considerations since the feedback would do less damage on its way to reducing distortion.

The reason we avoided using feedback in our tube amps was the simple fact that if we added the amount needed, it was nearly impossible to avoid issues with phase margin and certainly there was not enough Gain Bandwidth Product to support the amount needed.

Class D came along though and presented a very easy way to develop large amounts of GBP. So with it came the possibility of larger amounts of feedback too, without the usual increasing distortion with frequency. In our class D amp, the distortion is constant with frequency just as it is in our tube amps.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No. They are learning though that some designers don't know how to design a feedback loop properly. There's a difference.

Feedback is well-known in the rest of the industry as 'control theory'. Its also very well understood. We now have all the tools we need to measure what we need to, although I don't think that was true 35-40 years ago. IME/IMO most audiophiles are living their lives and making decisions based on measurement techniques from the 1980s and not the 21st century.

This statement is false. You might want to re-read Bruno's article. It focuses much more on the idea of having sufficient Gain Bandwidth Product to allow the feedback applied to be supported at all audio frequencies. The fact that most amps made do not do this is why they also have rising distortion with frequency. The only way to get around that problem is to either have enough GBP or don't use any feedback at all: that allows the distortion to be constant with frequency.

Feedback is tricky for a number of reasons!

1) if the amp lacks gain bandwidth product, the feedback will decrease at a certain frequency, causing distortion to rise with frequency. IME this contributes to brightness and harshness. GBP works sort of like this: if the GBP is 10MHz and you have a gain of 1, the bandwidth is 10MHz. If a gain of 10 in the circuit then bandwidth of 1 MHz, above which is a 6dB slope.

2) often there are frequency poles in the amplifier design that cause phase shift, such that at a certain frequency the feedback becomes positive rather than negative due to the phase shift introduced by the frequency poles (this is filter theory 101). This aspect of any amplifier is known as 'phase margin'; if you exceed the phase margin of the design with an inappropriate feedback loop it will be prone to oscillation.

3) The point in the amp where the feedback is applied is often non-linear, causing the feedback to be distorted before it can do its job. Traditionally, to get around this more feedback is needed but you can get into TIM distortion since part of the feedback node is uncontrolled by the feedback.

4) because of 3), there is a sort of bell curve where the feedback adds so much higher ordered harmonics and IM that the result is though the amp overall has lower distortion, what distortion it has is the kind to which the ear is the most sensitive because the feedback has added it through its faulty application. Since harmonics are responsible for the sound of all instruments its no surprise that adding higher orders thus generated results in brightness. If you run a little feedback this isn't so bad and if you run enough its not so bad either. In between is where you get into trouble, in particular if the feedback node isn't linear (which is true with most amps made that use feedback). This is between 12 and 30dB.

Regarding 3) above, if your feedback node is more linear then less feedback is needed to make things work and you can wind up with a more musical amplifier. I like to point to the Dynaco ST70 and ST35 as an example. The latter uses a 12AX7 section's cathode as its feedback node while the former uses a pentode. Simply due to the greater linearity of the 12AX7 section, the feedback applied to the ST35 is less distorted and so does less damage doing its job; this is one of the reasons its a more musical amplifier.

The most linear way to apply feedback is to not use any active devices!

An example of this is the feedback used around an opamp. Opamps in theory have infinite gain, which is corralled and the gain set by how much feedback is used. In practice although opamps don't have infinite gain, they do have quite a lot (+120dB) and so the gain they have is effectively set by the ratio between the input resistor and the feedback resistor, which are passive devices. If they are the same value, the opamp has 100% feedback and is said to have 'unity gain'.

If you understand all that I wrote so far then this will make sense:

A number of class D amplifiers use this technique opamps use to apply feedback. Self oscillating class D amps also use so much feedback that the phase margin is exceeded and they go into oscillation as soon as you turn them on. The feedback network is designed to allow the amp to find exactly one frequency for the oscillation, which is used as the switching frequency. In this way a very large amount of feedback can be applied and in a very linear way so it can do the most good.

Its not that far of a stretch to see that any amplifier design could be done to use feedback in this manner and thus allow the designer to get around some of the limitations otherwise imposed by limited Gain Bandwidth Product and other considerations since the feedback would do less damage on its way to reducing distortion.

The reason we avoided using feedback in our tube amps was the simple fact that if we added the amount needed, it was nearly impossible to avoid issues with phase margin and certainly there was not enough Gain Bandwidth Product to support the amount needed.

Class D came along though and presented a very easy way to develop large amounts of GBP. So with it came the possibility of larger amounts of feedback too, without the usual increasing distortion with frequency. In our class D amp, the distortion is constant with frequency just as it is in our tube amps.
You’re silly Ralph. Audiophiles are basing their decisions on subjective criteria not measurement techniques!!

As I said, when I hear a Class D amp that truly sounds good I will consider the explanations given by you and Bruno Putseys seriously…until then all I can say is you are missing something in the numbers that doesn’t sound that great subjectively.

There is something getting through a single pass amp (ie. a zero feedback design, where the whole signal only goes through the circuit once on the way to the speakers) that doesn’t make it through a multiple pass amp. I hear a throttle on dynamics from feedback amps that is independent of power rating. I hear unnatural tone and texture. When those issues are not there anymore THEN I will consider the theories but when the empirical evidence suggests otherwise, I will stay with what sounds more right to my ear/brain.

Reactions: analogsa

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I can't find the source, it was an interview with Bruno Putzeys. When asked why his amplifiers are so good and why class D is so hard to get right, his answer was in line with the: good feedback loop for class D is hard to do, and nobody wants to do this excessive amount of math...
The theory is one thing, but actually doing it... Another world :D

Reactions: Atmasphere

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You’re silly Ralph. Audiophiles are basing their decisions on subjective criteria not measurement techniques!!

As I said, when I hear a Class D amp that truly sounds good I will consider the explanations given by you and Bruno Putseys seriously…until then all I can say is you are missing something in the numbers that doesn’t sound that great subjectively.

There is something getting through a single pass amp (ie. a zero feedback design, where the whole signal only goes through the circuit once on the way to the speakers) that doesn’t make it through a multiple pass amp. I hear a throttle on dynamics from feedback amps that is independent of power rating. I hear unnatural tone and texture. When those issues are not there anymore THEN I will consider the theories but when the empirical evidence suggests otherwise, I will stay with what sounds more right to my ear/brain.
If you think that we don't listen to our products and base them entirely on specs you are mistaken! You seem also to still be taking the commonly accepted audiophile viewpoint that was around in the 1980s into the early 1990s before some of the measurement we can now do easily existed. I used to not trust the measurements back then because they didn't correlate with what I was hearing. That was 35 years ago and technology has advanced quite a lot.

I don't contest what you are hearing but at the same time you've not heard the sort of circuits I'm talking about that allow you to run the kind of feedback I'm talking about. You've heard ones that have the problems I described above; those amps don't run enough feedback because they can't- so you are reinforcing my prior post.

In a typical solid state amp running feedback, the feedback is applied to the base of a transistor that is part of a differential pair. Other than the feedback itself, there's nothing to cause that transistor to be particularly linear- they aren't even as good as a pentode! So naturally the feedback signal gets distorted before it can do its job. I've yet to hear an amp like that that sounds right.

Again, something I've not seen a lot of is the idea I presented above where the feedback is mixed passively outside of the actual amplifier circuit. I'm of the opinion that if the feedback (control) signal isn't distorted when mixed with the incoming signal, that the results will be a lot more impressive.

I can't find the source, it was an interview with Bruno Putzeys. When asked why his amplifiers are so good and why class D is so hard to get right, his answer was in line with the: good feedback loop for class D is hard to do, and nobody wants to do this excessive amount of math...
The theory is one thing, but actually doing it... Another world :D

I can confirm that the math involved with the feedback loop in a self oscillating amplifier is not trivial! There are seven variables in just one equation!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing