Dedicated audio room build thread aka The Big Dig

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
Great video and nice professional photos over Dennis's site too.

This is a great room Hugh, I congratulate you once more on a great investment. You are right in saying that putting any sound system in that room would reveal their full potential.

Enjoy countless hours of listening to music and not caring about equipment anymore!

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Congratulations again Hugh. I enjoyed watching the video. You should be commended for the monumental effort to build such a building. Enjoy it in good health.

I may have forgotten if this was covered earlier in the thread, but could you describe the power delivery choices you made or point me to an earlier discussion? Thanks.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Great video and nice professional photos over Dennis's site too.

This is a great room Hugh, I congratulate you once more on a great investment. You are right in saying that putting any sound system in that room would reveal their full potential.

Enjoy countless hours of listening to music and not caring about equipment anymore!
Kind words Kodomo. Dennis is right that nothing can come close to live music. this project is a descent replacement but only when you cant go. Oddly I have found that the recordings themselves make more of a difference for me than they ever have before. and my best listing has been to live recordings not studio. I cant recall ever feeling that way until this project completed.

Great system btw, would love to hear your custom horns.

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Congratulations again Hugh. I enjoyed watching the video. You should be commended for the monumental effort to build such a building. Enjoy it in good health.

I may have forgotten if this was covered earlier in the thread, but could you describe the power delivery choices you made or point me to an earlier discussion? Thanks.
Hello Peter, I did not do anything intricate. Dedicated panel for the room > split the service into 2 for lights/AC etc and other for the system > Torus 60 amp wall mount transformer > 10G wire > Furutech GTX-D NCF receptacles. Grounding is to code but I know there is some interesting concepts that maybe I could pursue. But would I hear a difference?

Reactions: PeterA

tpsully99

VIP/Donor
Jan 11, 2014
New Hampshire, USA
Great video Hugh! You could tell Dennis was blown away by the results. It sounded like this might be his best room yet! Congrats!
Tom

Last edited:

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Great video Hugh! You could tell Dennis was blown away by the results. It sounded like this might be his best room yet! Congrats!
Tom
Thank you Tom. On room measurments Dennis decided we should have an independent, certified tenchician perform the measurements. We will be doing that in the next month or two.

Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Peter,

Shunyata just shipped me an Everest. I've been talking to Hugh about dropping it in and listening for any differences it makes. The Torus box is impressive. I'm a bit curious...

Reactions: adyc

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Peter,

Shunyata just shipped me an Everest. I've been talking to Hugh about dropping it in and listening for any differences it makes. The Torus box is impressive. I'm a bit curious...

Lee, would the Everest replace the Torus so that you can do a direct comparison with one versus the other? If so, have fun and please let us know what you discover.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Acoustic Fields’ latest production, starring Hugh - congratulations!

Very nicely done by Dennis. Sorry I missed his visit to Hugh's place. I was up in the mountains doing Tail of the Dragon.

Reactions: HughP3 and Tim Link

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Lee, would the Everest replace the Torus so that you can do a direct comparison with one versus the other? If so, have fun and please let us know what you discover.
I don't think we can take the Torus out of the chain but I think we can do an experiment and see what it does to the system along with the Torus.

I will report back. Grant at Shunyata suggested I put some hours on the Everest before we do the comparison. We are also looking into adding some Sigma v2 cable to Hugh's system.

I was joking with Hugh earlier that I was a feeling guilty about being a bad influence but then we realized that Hugh was doing the same to me on auto racing. It's all good.

Reactions: HughP3

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
I don't think we can take the Torus out of the chain but I think we can do an experiment and see what it does to the system along with the Torus.

I will report back. Grant at Shunyata suggested I put some hours on the Everest before we do the comparison. We are also looking into adding some Sigma v2 cable to Hugh's system.

I was joking with Hugh earlier that I was a feeling guilty about being a bad influence but then we realized that Hugh was doing the same to me on auto racing. It's all good.
hah both a slippery

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
ok just decided to do two major upgrades. going with all Shunyata Sigma power, usb, speaker and xlr cabling. Also doing msb femto 33 clock. Many thanks to Joe Cali Designs, MSB and Shunyata. Excited to say the least, before and after impressions to follow.

Last edited:

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
ok just decided to do two major upgrades. going with all Shunyata Sigma power, usb, speaker and xlr cabling. Also doing msb femto 33 clock. Many thanks to Joe Cali Designs, MSB and Shunyata. Excited to say the least, before and after impressions to follow.
That will take things to a whole new level.

Dentdog

Jan 5, 2014
Atlanta
Hello Hugh,
Happy to see Dennis come out with the follow up to your project. Nothing like seeing a well thought endeavor come to fruition. Getting to hear it, however briefly, was certainly an eye/ear opener. Also, the visual experience only adds to the dramatic effect, enhancing the experience.
Best,
Tom

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hello Hugh,
Happy to see Dennis come out with the follow up to your project. Nothing like seeing a well thought endeavor come to fruition. Getting to hear it, however briefly, was certainly an eye/ear opener. Also, the visual experience only adds to the dramatic effect, enhancing the experience.
Best,
Tom
Thanks Tom! Lets hook up after thanksgiving. Would really like to hear your Vinyl rig. Hugh

tpsully99

VIP/Donor
Jan 11, 2014
New Hampshire, USA
Hugh,

Any updates? Wondering if you ever had a chance to get the room response measured.

Thanks!
Tom

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hugh,

Any updates? Wondering if you ever had a chance to get the room response measured.

Thanks!
Tom

Hi Tom, no measurements yet. I would like to but got sidetracked with cables, clock and now new analog system coming. Frankly i like the sound so much its only a curiosity at this point.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Hugh, I understand that measuring can easily become way on the back burner when your room is sounding amazing, and having followed your extraordinary build I can’t imagine it sounds anything less than amazing. And, having watched a few of your designer’s videos, he seems extremely competent.

One question I’d have for him would be “How can you accomplish similar results with half the budget?” (To be kind to you though I wouldn’t ask him in your presence!) ;)

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing