Delta Sigma Versus R2R Ladder

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a wonderful afternoon at the home of Phil (213cobra) on Tuesday! Phil's Bricasti DAC (one of the several he owns) can switch between delta sigma and R2R at the touch of a button.

On Fleetwood Mac and Sarah McLachlan I think maybe I could hear a difference, but there is no way I would be able to A/B it. On classical music I think I could tell the difference by focusing on (what I articulated as) the harmonic richness (maybe decay?) of piano and triangle.

Across genres and recordings there is no doubt I had a preference for the R2R. Phil says that there is something slightly more analog-y sounding about the R2R. That must be what I was hearing. That is enough for me to know that I want an R2R DAC in the future.

This was the first time I had been to Phil's house by myself, and so the first time I could really focus on listening to, and enjoying, his Zu Definition system driven by a wonderful inventory of tube amps of varied designs. Phil's knowledge of tubes and of tube circuits is encyclopedic.

The pure analog signal path on the Definition system, fronted by an SPU cartridge, sounded fantastic! I was happy to sit there and listen all day!

Phil can switch between this all-analog signal path, and an alternative signal path which converts the analog signal to digital (Phil, please feel free to explain this signal path). The digital conversion signal sounded very good! Only by focusing on the twinkle-y-ness of a triangle and a slight dryness would I have a chance of A/B-ing the two signal paths accurately. Digital has gotten very good, but I still often hear a slight tell-tale dryness or electronic-ness or a slight loss of transparency compared to a pure analog system playing analog recordings.

A very big thanks to Phil and Frances for a wonderful afternoon and evening!

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I had a wonderful afternoon at the home of Phil (213cobra) on Tuesday! Phil's Bricasti DAC (one of the several he owns) can switch between delta sigma and R2R at the touch of a button.

On Fleetwood Mac and Sarah McLachlan I think maybe I could hear a difference, but there is no way I would be able to A/B it. On classical music I think I could tell the difference by focusing on (what I articulated as) the harmonic richness (maybe decay?) of piano and triangle.

Across genres and recordings there is no doubt I had a preference for the R2R. Phil says that there is something slightly more analog-y sounding about the R2R. That must be what I was hearing. That is enough for me to know that I want an R2R DAC in the future.

This was the first time I had been to Phil's house by myself, and so the first time I could really focus on listening to, and enjoying, his Zu Definition system driven by a wonderful inventory of tube amps of varied designs. Phil's knowledge of tubes and of tube circuits is encyclopedic.

The pure analog signal path on the Definition system, fronted by an SPU cartridge, sounded fantastic! I was happy to sit there and listen all day!

Phil can switch between this all-analog signal path, and an alternative signal path which converts the analog signal to digital (Phil, please feel free to explain this signal path). The digital conversion signal sounded very good! Only by focusing on the twinkle-y-ness of a triangle and a slight dryness would I have a chance of A/B-ing the two signal paths accurately. Digital has gotten very good, but I still often hear a slight tell-tale dryness or electronic-ness or a slight loss of transparency compared to a pure analog system playing analog recordings.

When I compared some of the Lampi dacs with Lukasz he told me I have a preference for R2R. My GG is R2R and I could hear a distinct difference with chip at that time. It is in dynamic range, effortlessness, and flow. It is difficult to compare it to latter chip dacs as a lot apart from R2R and chip would have changed in between.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The three DACs I will choose among -- Lampizator Baltic3, Holo May KTE and SW1X DAC II are all R2R, I believe.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The three DACs I will choose among -- Lampizator Baltic3, Holo May KTE and SW1X DAC II are all R2R, I believe.

The DHt will make a much more difference which Baltic is not as compared to GG

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: bazelio

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: Argonaut

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
Hi Ron,
I am using the same Bricasti Dac and consider the 3 (with the 1 bit DSD converter) DAC options a real value.
While with my former Nola speakers I preferred the delta sigma, with my current Eggs I prefer the r2r.
However, the digital filter (min / lin phase) has just as great (or small depending how you hear it) an effect. With the Nolas I preferred linear phase, with the Eggs I chose minimum phase.

It is nice to be able to choose...

Christoph

Reactions: Ron Resnick

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London

Yes r2r sounds more natural. Over time you’ll notice.

You need an abbas dac.

Ive had his dac 2.1se for 3-4 years and recently upgraded to his 3.2 . The 2.1 was great but the big bottle 3.2 is awesome.

Fits your budget nicely too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I just noticed this interesting post about why SW1X has chosen R2R:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Are you sure Baltic3 is based on R2R ? Its not very clear from their website.

No, I am not sure. I was told that Lampizator uses R2R.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my guess is at that under $5k price point, execution and the analog output circuit (to fit your system balance and personal taste) will rule much more than dac design dogma. unless you do lots of very high resolution heavy lifting with complex music (not girl with guitar).

so i would not limit yourself based on this issue. you may find the right $5k dac for you anywhere.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Thank you, Roger, but I'm looking in the US$3,000 to US$5,000 range for a DAC.
Check out the new SCHIIT Yggdrasil “Less Is More” DAC.... Uses Four TI Dac 8812 chip’s .
The current “buzz” on the Internet is that this is their best DAC so far. They actually have 3 different versions of the latest Yggdrasiil DAC, with three distinctive tonal flavors. The “Less is More” model has the most “Analog”, sound characteristics of the three, ( the other two are described as “ Neutral” ( the “MORE IS LESS” version, and finally the “OG” version, being described as the most detailed, etc. Anyway something to consider, although it’s less money than your target search bracket ( 2199.00 to 2599.00 for the OG version).

Cheers....

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
I will stay with the DAC built into the Lumin X1. Aside from sounding fantastic, it saves users thousands of dollars by eliminating a power cord and interconnect cables.

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
Chord Hugo TT2 is worth a listen. The MScaler could be added later if desired.

… only really to flesh out the difference btw r2r and delta sigma.

To my small ears, my hugo sounds the exact opposite of my r2r dacs.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Check out the new SCHIIT Yggdrasil “Less Is More” DAC.... Uses Four TI Dac 8812 chip’s .
The current “buzz” on the Internet is that this is their best DAC so far. They actually have 3 different versions of the latest Yggdrasiil DAC, with three distinctive tonal flavors. The “Less is More” model has the most “Analog”, sound characteristics of the three, ( the other two are described as “ Neutral” ( the “MORE IS LESS” version, and finally the “OG” version, being described as the most detailed, etc. Anyway something to consider, although it’s less money than your target search bracket ( 2199.00 to 2599.00 for the OG version).

Cheers....

I think Ron is looking for an overall more relaxed sound than the Yggdrasil offers. I certainly wouldn't recommend to him the Yggy OG that I have (formerly called "Analog 2") and which is exactly to my taste for tension-filled excitement. Having said that, with relaxed music it does sound perfectly relaxed, and it is very adept at romantic phrasing when asked for; it's not a souped-up sound.

But perhaps the "Less is More" version would be more to Ron's taste; I'll probably get to hear it soon in a friend's system directly compared to the OG. I'll let Ron know how the sound flavor turns out.

And if I like it, I can have upgraded my Yggy version 1 (which I also still have) for just $ 450. You gotta love Schiit's upgrade policy, which in contrast to some other companies is not just empty promises.

As for it being cheaper than Ron's target price range: sometimes "Less is More" ;).

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing