Delta Sigma Versus R2R Ladder

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
No problem tubes Stax1t is with tube output, you need 3 power cords, one for digital, left output stage , right output stage.
if you have a better dac for cd, congratulations i haven't found one yet.
View attachment 85553

Or a Manley reference dac can be used as preamp too, both a world class

View attachment 85554
Great amplifier that I remember.stax was very serious with all there power and pre amps When they used to make them.

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Great amplifier that I remember.stax was very serious with all there power and pre amps When they used to make them.
Yes i'm in love with stax da 80 monos?amazing amps(1976) b.jpg

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
No problem tubes Stax1t is with tube output, you need 3 power cords, one for digital, left output stage , right output stage.
if you have a better dac for cd, congratulations i haven't found one yet.
View attachment 85553

Or a Manley reference dac can be used as preamp too, both a world class

View attachment 85554
I have looked for a STAX but never found one in time to buy it. They are guarded jealously... Also the original Manley Wave DAC was with the UltraAnalog chip....the later one was with the BB PCM1704K...also a very good chip but somehow still not the same.

The Ayon Skylla 2 I have now is also a rather impressive machine (with BB PCM1704s...2 per channel).
Ayon_Skylla2.jpg
and of course the Aries Cerat Kassandra with 8 x AD1865N chips (16 DACs!) per channel

Kassandra3.jpg

Reactions: DasguteOhr

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
I have looked for a STAX but never found one in time to buy it. They are guarded jealously... Also the original Manley Wave DAC was with the UltraAnalog chip....the later one was with the BB PCM1704K...also a very good chip but somehow still not the same.

The Ayon Skylla 2 I have now is also a rather impressive machine (with BB PCM1704s...2 per channel).
View attachment 85558
and of course the Aries Cerat Kassandra with 8 x AD1865N chips (16 DACs!) per channel

View attachment 85559
I know ad 1865n from audio note dac kit sounds really good, the bb pcm 63p-k is my favorite burrbrown exsample Accuphase dc 91(16 x pcm63k)
of the new ones is the soekris r2r board nos with 6n6 tube output my favorite.
Accuphase what a machine 9c8e7ca238a92ee114616a00b3203796.jpg

Reactions: Bobvin

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I know ad 1865n from audio note dac kit sounds really good, the bb pcm 63p-k is my favorite burrbrown exsample Accuphase dc 91(16 x pcm63k)
of the new ones is the soekris r2r board nos with 6n6 tube output my favorite.
Accuphase what a machine View attachment 85560
I have a Monarchy Audio M24 DAC with the wonderful BB PCM-63...resistor IV and a SRPP tube output stage. BB DF-1704 digital filter chip with 8x oversampling...best dac ever for 1k new...

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
fantastic dac for little money audio alchemy dde 3.0, with battery power it clearly beats expensive dacs. Ad 1862 chips i2s interface
or
Woodside /Radford Dvac18 dac output stage 6sl7 + 6sn7 per chanel
830d32041176cc8c7e35f7e05e1030f1.jpg

OnDG46h.jpg

Last edited:

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, important, but what about caps and resistors, chokes, etc.? These are huge in the general architecture as well.

Yes, everything is important, but the component quality is a secondary factor compared with the DAC architecture and filtering.

divertiti

Jan 12, 2021
The three DACs I will choose among -- Lampizator Baltic3, Holo May KTE and SW1X DAC II are all R2R, I believe.
The Holo May KTE is insanely good, especially for the price. It reminds me of a mini MSB, when given clean power and a good power cord, it fits in systems with $50K+ amplification without being outpaced.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
The Holo May KTE is insanely good, especially for the price. It reminds me of a mini MSB, when given clean power and a good power cord, it fits in systems with $50K+ amplification without being outpaced.
A friend of mine has the Holospring and he strongly prefers his Ayon Stratos. He says the Holo sounds very “mechanical “ by comparison. If you want a very good R2R DAC for reasonable money then find a used Ayon Skylla 2 DAC or CD5s...great sound.

Reactions: AndrewChen

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
So... has anyone done a side by side comparison of the MAY KTE and the SW1X ?

jespera

Jan 12, 2018
London
I havent.

But someone told me that his abbas dac was way better than his holo dac. Given that abbas designed the sw1x dacs, my guess is that the sw1x is better than the holo.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
A friend of mine had the Holo KTE level 2 I think (or level 3...don’t remember) but now has an Ayon Stratos (Which uses ESS Sabre and it sounds far more natural and realistic...and I am a fan of ladder DACs!
For reference, I have an Ayon Skylla 2 DAC, which uses the famous BB PCM1704K chips. Out of curiosity (because Stratos and Skylla have the exact same tube output stage and tube rectification for that stage) we compared the two Ayon DACs and found that 1) They both sound great, 2) They sound quite similar, no doubt because of the analog output stage and 3) There are still some differences that we think are the signatures we have heard between DAC technologies, with the Stratos being a bit more airy and ethereal and the Skylla more grounded and solid.

Stratos is, to date, the only DAC with a Sabre that I could say I like.

PS, to make the two Ayons sound similar we had to turn off 24/192 up sampling on Stratos (I never use it on Skylla) and go with the less sharp digital filter. With up sampling on the Stratos sounded thin and wispy and a bit hollow...

Reactions: Scott Naylor

Gjo

Aug 22, 2021
And , yes, although all the following models are R2R, I would take the entry level TotalDAC or the SW1X DAC over the highest priced MSB - because the cheaper SW1X DAC and TotalDAC are better at communicating emotion
Out of curiosity, if recommending a SW1X DAC, why not also consider an Audio Note DAC?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
And , yes, although all the following models are R2R, I would take the entry level TotalDAC or the SW1X DAC over the highest priced MSB - because the cheaper SW1X DAC and TotalDAC are better at communicating emotion

On which system and with what music did you compare the SW1X and the TotalDAC to the MSB Select II?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing