Denafrips product owners please fall in

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Guys,
I just wanted to start this thread to engage fellow music lovers who are using Denafrips range of products. Personally I am using the Terminator DAC and the newly released DDC Gaia (though its out on loan now). As of late they have released an excellent range of products which are well engineered and sound good too.

I had the oppurtunity to listen to their newly released Terminator Plus, and I must say, it is another hit from them. Please share your impressions. Thank you guys.

Here is a link to their website and honest reviews from users. https://www.denafrips.com/news

Do feel free to post some nice photos of your setup as well. Cheers and please stay safe all.

Attachments

• Terminator Plus.JPG
    Terminator Plus.JPG
    735.6 KB · Views: 135
  • My setup.JPG
    My setup.JPG
    696.1 KB · Views: 139

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
Will chime in once I receive my Denafrips Avatar CDT.
Got a hunch from a buddy in Singapore who compared it our of box with his resident Esoteric CDT and was very positively surprised. Comment was run and don't ask to much...so I did just that and a few friends after that:). Lets see...

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Guys,
Just adding photos of the Gaia I bought. For those looking for a DDC I would recommend taking a listen to this unit. The best thing I like about this is the holographic and 3-D presentation I get. Stereo imaging and staging is much better with the i2S connection too.

Photo was taken before the unit went out on loan and I also took advantage of the situation to get Alvin to change it to Black which would tie in with the Termy. Will be getting a Tubulus Argentus HDMI cable quiet soon as well once my unit returns back. That should bring it quite close to a Termy Plus/Gaia combo, but that combo could be an end game for most especially with the onboard reclocking capability of the TP.

Thank you guys and stay safe.

Attachments

• Gaia .JPG
    Gaia .JPG
    487.7 KB · Views: 61
  • Gaia 2.JPG
    Gaia 2.JPG
    513.2 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Hey, love the Denafrips thread idea.

I started my Denafrips experience with the Terminator, based only on AudioBacon's review and the various consumer reviews online. It replaced a Yggy Analog 2. To my ears, while I really enjoyed the Yggy A2, the Terminator was a clear step up, better sound staging, more air and a bit more resolution, all presented in a very natural way.

Then Alvin mentioned a line of upcoming D/D converters. Having had great success with my prior D/D experiments (I was using a Berkeley Alpha USB with my Yggy A2, using AES/EBU), I decided to order one without any user reviews as soon as it was available to order, based on Denafrips reputation and my Terminator experience.

My Gaia was delayed due to some logistical issues with the case supplier. My Gaia finally arrived today.

I never thought I would move on from the Terminator, but the whole clock sync between the Terminator Plus and Gaia with other mentioned improvements and I had to bite. Terminator Plus ordered and now the waiting begins.

I will be using my Gaia with my Chord Qutest until the Terminator Plus arrives.

Gaia-1.jpg

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi Blake,
Thank you, how's the initial impression? I loved the 3-D holographic presentation. The stereo seperation and imaging is also superb. Do share with us here. What HDMI are u suing BTW? The Tubulus Argentus is on my radar.
As for Power cords, Denafrips do not seem to react that much. A decent audio quality would suffice I guess, but I do have a Tellurium Silver to power it when it comes back. I will compare it to a basic Monster Line 400 power cord ($120 SGD). I know its not a fair fight, but I'm just curious.

Once again thank you for joining the thread and taking your time to post here sir. Much appreciated.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Guys, just FYI,
For the Gaia to work with the Termy, there is a "handshake" involved. You have to configure the Termy's binary coding. Just a reminder.

You got to select the coding on the Terminator as well https://www.denafrips.com/single-post/2020/03/10/TERMINATOR-DAC----Configuration

1. Select iS2 -A input
2. Press the mute button once to enter configuration mode
3. Press the phase button button momentarily, 1X 2X 4X will turn on/off in a fixed pattern to denote binary 000-111
4. Denafrips iS2 standard = 1x On, 2x 4X off=000
5. Wait for 10 secs
6. DAC back in operational mode

Do note, I had to play arnd a couple of times with the Termy coding to get it to sync with the Gaia, try all the different files as well including DSD. If there is static, do the above till a secure "hand shake" is achieved. I personally did not stick to Denafrips standard, I toggled to see which worked the best. Good luck guys.

Reactions: Dev.R and Wouterk

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Great info Abyss Man!

Ok, my Gaia is up and running. I had a "dunce" moment that Alvin helped with. Basically, I was going UltraRendu > usb cable (Sablon 2020) > Gaia > Kimber D60 cable > Chord Qutest BNC input.

I was playing through Roon and forgot to disable DSD sampling as the Qutest BNC input doesn't support DSD playback. I had been playing usb direct from my UltraRendu to the Qutest playing DSD before the Gaia arrived and just forgot about that!

Brand new, just put in the system and not broken in at all and I can already tell this is something seriously special! H-O-L-O-G-R-A-P-H-I-C, 3-dimensional for days, spacious and super transparent.

I will report further once the Gaia has a chance to break in. I should have my Terminator Plus in around 3 weeks. So I will be able to compare Gaia performance with Qutest to Gaia performance with the Terminator Plus and then Gaia+Terminator Plus and clock cables attached.

Oh, forgot to mention, I am using a Kimber Kable Palladian PK 14 on the Gaia. Audiobacon nailed this power cord in his massive power cable review.

Last edited:

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Will chime in once I receive my Denafrips Avatar CDT.
Got a hunch from a buddy in Singapore who compared it our of box with his resident Esoteric CDT and was very positively surprised. Comment was run and don't ask to much...so I did just that and a few friends after that:). Lets see...

That looks great vfm.

Reactions: Golum

Pancho

Jun 14, 2020
Hi there - how many are here have moved onto T+ from T ?

Technical and engineering aside - audio-wise - is there a "real difference that can be called improvement please ? Do share ....

Reactions: Miki70

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Great info Abyss Man!

Ok, my Gaia is up and running. I had a "dunce" moment that Alvin helped with. Basically, I was going UltraRendu > usb cable (Sablon 2020) > Gaia > Kimber D60 cable > Chord Qutest BNC input.

I was playing through Roon and forgot to disable DSD sampling as the Qutest BNC input doesn't support DSD playback. I had been playing usb direct from my UltraRendu to the Qutest playing DSD before the Gaia arrived and just forgot about that!

Brand new, just put in the system and not broken in at all and I can already tell this is something seriously special! H-O-L-O-G-R-A-P-H-I-C, 3-dimensional for days, spacious and super transparent.

I will report further once the Gaia has a chance to break in. I should have my Terminator Plus in around 3 weeks. So I will be able to compare Gaia performance with Qutest to Gaia performance with the Terminator Plus and then Gaia+Terminator Plus and clock cables attached.

Oh, forgot to mention, I am using a Kimber Kable Palladian PK 14 on the Gaia. Audiobacon nailed this power cord in his massive power cable review.
Told you the 3-D and Holographic presentation is out of this world. Let the dual OCXO clocks settle down and be amazed.

Reactions: Blake

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
Hi there - how many are here have moved onto T+ from T ?

Technical and engineering aside - audio-wise - is there a "real difference that can be called improvement please ? Do share ....
The TP is a definite improvement over the Termy, but if you are already a owner of the Termy, I would rather get the Gaia first. It gets you extremely close and in my case, I didn't really feel the need to get the TP but I could not try out the TP/Gaia combo as my Gaia was out on loan when I got the TP. I hope to try out this combo as soon as I can lay my hands on it again, but like I said, the Termy/Gaia combo should keep even the most discerning audiophile tapping his toes for quiet a while.
From what I have heard, the TP is a step up from the Termy. The Termy/Gaia combo is awesome. The TP/Gaia combo should be an end game, if you do the math.

Whichever path you decide to take, the music presentation is killer. Love it.

Last edited:

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Hello guys,

Good to read the discussion and sharing here!
Do share the photos of your setup. Here is mine :D

Magico A3 (3).jpg

Enjoy the music!

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
Very nice setup Alvin!

alvin1118

Nov 2, 2015
Singapore
www.vinshineaudio.com
Thanks @Blake! The Magico A3 is a new additional to the system. Enjoying them very-very-muchy :)

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
@alvin1118 what is the Denafrips component on the second shelf? Looks like a Gaia, but the button layout looks different from what I can see. Is it the upcoming Hermes or an early Gaia prototype?

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
I am floored by the performance of the Gaia.

It absolutely transforms the Qutest. The Qutest is now easily twice as good as it was before I connected it to the Gaia on my personal subjective scale.

The improvements to the sound stage and increased transparency (with all the additional music information that comes with it) are just incredible.

Last edited:

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
I am floored by the performance of the Gaia.

It absolutely transforms the Qutest. The Qutest is now easily twice as good as it was before I connected it to the Gaia on my personal subjective scale.

The improvements to the sound stage and increased transparency (with all the additional music information that comes with it) are just incredible.
Nice to hear u are enjoying the Gaia as much as I do Blake. Can u share what sort of cables u are using? Both PC and HDMI. Thank you.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
@Abyss Man, the power cable to the Gaia is a Kimber Palladian PK 14. I am running a Sablon 2020 usb cable to the input of the Gaia. The Gaia is connected to the Qutest with a Kimber D60 digital cable (custom with RCA connector on one end and BNC on the other).

When the Terminator Plus arrives, I will be using Sablon 2020 ethernet from the Gaia to the Terminator Plus. For clock cables between the Gaia and Terminator Plus, I will use 2 Kimber D60 with BNC's.

Abyss Man

Jun 17, 2019
@Abyss Man, the power cable to the Gaia is a Kimber Palladian PK 14. I am running a Sablon 2020 usb cable to the input of the Gaia. The Gaia is connected to the Qutest with a Kimber D60 digital cable (custom with RCA connector on one end and BNC on the other).

When the Terminator Plus arrives, I will be using Sablon 2020 ethernet from the Gaia to the Terminator Plus. For clock cables between the Gaia and Terminator Plus, I will use 2 Kimber D60 with BNC's.
May I know why you are going with the RJ45 instead of HDMI connection which is a superior connection.

Blake

Jun 28, 2018
HDMI and RJ45 are both i2s, so I wouldn't think one would be better than the other? Of course if I am wrong, let me know. This is my first time running an i2s connection.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing