Dereneville DAE 01 CL

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I’ve been reading good things about this motor for a while now, well the bigger brothers anyway. So when I was at Munich High End Show in 2018, I noticed Dereneville had a room there. I popped in and to my surprise Rainer was in doing demonstrations. In between him playing records for show goers, I asked him to explain about the motor. He went through everything with me, I was impressed as to how much useful features the motor had. Anyway I left with a free spirit level and went over to Chris Feickert to buy a Dereneville turntable matt.

I kept the motor in mind for when I needed an upgrade to my turntable.

Fast-forward to 2020 and the COVID19 lock down. Since I had been working from home since March 12th, I spent my working day in my listening room spinning LP’s. Happy days :)

I e-mail Rainer up about getting the motor. I had a request, since my Acoustic Solid One to One was a tall turntable and the Dereneville motor was short I would need a different solution. He got back to me and within 2 e-mails and with me giving him the height of my platter, he had designed a modified motor hight for me.

Motor.jpg
He quoted 4 weeks for the motor build and shipment, anyway I got it in less than 4 weeks.
This motor arrived double box and in a flight case, it’s a monster. It made my Acoustic Solid motor look like a child’s toy.

Motors.jpg

I hooked it up, initially with the included SMPS but I immediately ordered a Farad Super3 LPS.
I am not one for A / B comparisons, I like to put things in and live with it for a while and then swap back out and see what’s missing or not.
I have now been living with this motor for a good 4 weeks plus, well what can I say? Wow how can a motor make this much of a difference, it’s like I have a brand new vastly superior turntable.
The first thing I notice on switch on of the motor is, virtually no vibrations from the motor. With my old motor, I can feel the vibrations with my hand on the motor and must mean it’s transmitted to the turntable.
The sound from the turntable is more solid, imaging is improved, bass appears lower, timing is like a metronome. In fact, I would now call this turntable rhythm king.
High frequency instruments appear crisper and airier.
It feels like I am hearing my records all over again and they are all sounding so much better. I have been digging out more and more LP’s, I am enjoying them so much that I am in danger of wearing out my cartridge quicker than normal.

I have been digging out records that I have not enjoyed in the past, to see if the combination of new Dereneville DAE 01 CL Motor / Farad Super3 power supply / Acoustical Systems Arché headshell can inject new life into them.
The first one I tried is Massive Attack – No Protection, which I have never enjoyed. Well I already wrote about that elsewhere on the forum. It’s more enjoyable but still no magic, so still don’t like it.
The next one I tried is Onra – No One Has To Know. When I first heard this album elsewhere I loved it, but when I bought it I just could not enjoy it. Anyway with the new upgrades, particularly the motor wow it like a completely new record. It now sounds like I remember, I now love this record.

Well if you can’t already guess, I love this motor and my latest upgrades. This motor is a keeper and even if I change my turntable, the motor will be moving to the next turntable with me.
The improvement has been just night and day that I have not even done my usual of swapping out to the old stuff, not sure if I can be bothered with that hassle well I may swap out the Farad Super3 LPS with the SMPS unit that came with the motor.
I am still experimenting with different drive belts, I have not settled on any one yet.

If you have a turntable you like and don’t want to part with, I recommend giving this motor a try. Just be prepared that you will be spending the money to get one, it’s not cheap but the improvement it brings to your turntable and the musical enjoyment is worth the asking price.

It’s funny to put this motor under tweaks, as far as I am concerned it’s a necessity.

Motor Speed Controller.jpg
Motors Side.jpg

If you are wondering about the pink thing on the turntable it’s a record not a matt, It’s Curtis Harding – Face your fear.

Curtis Harding.jpg

Last edited:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Finally got around to swapping the power supply in and out.
The first thing I noticed was the vibration from using the power supply that came with the motor, the vibration was a tad more noticeable.

I only really play 2 tracks, which are Malia & Boris Blank – I feel it like you the other was Toto – Africa.
2 things stand out while playing music, it was a tad noisier. The bass end was not as deep and less impactful.
Is the difference between the included power supply and the Farad Super3 Night & Day? The answer is no, the included power supply did not disgrace itself so must have been a good one in the first place.

If you have the Dereneville motor and you are using the included power supply, you will be very happy with it. If you did try the Farad Super3, it would be hard to go back once you can hear the improvement it makes. Yes admittedly the difference is not Night & Day, but the lower noise floor is hard to ignore. Lower noise is important to me, as I want to listen to the music not noise.

Super3.jpg

maxpalat

Feb 19, 2020
motor height could be correct with a small base plate with adjustable threaded foots in your opinion?
I have a Voyd TT with plinth so I should use these kind of motors not so near the deck like in your situation: in this regard you used an original belt drive or a custom one?
Thanks
Massimo

Attachments

• 1E5BC068-081F-4732-BFD0-5718828E5D6C.jpeg
    1E5BC068-081F-4732-BFD0-5718828E5D6C.jpeg
    556.3 KB · Views: 13

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Massimo i had the additional base plate made to bring the motor to the correct height, yes it made it easy to have the motor at the correct height.
I use the original belts for the drive.

Reactions: Derainer

Rawlit

Oct 6, 2021
@TooCool4

I'm curious to what further tweaks you've made, I also have an Acoustic Solid turntable and considering the upgrade to Dereneville's motor, now there are two options available on the website

BTW, which belts were a better match?

Appreciate the feedback, thanks

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Hi Rawlit
The only order tweak I did is I added Derenville’s matt to the platter, I find the matt better then the Acoustic Solid one well I appear to have less static anyway.

Not a lot of difference in the 2 motors on the website, the more expensive one will also run 78RPM. You can also program it for a second arm / cartridge plus more programming options. Saying that the cheaper motor now has an upgrade software so you can program it for a second arm / cartridge, for me to have that I will have to send the motor back for the upgrade. Since I only have one arm / cartridge I am in no hurry to get it done.

Regarding the belt, I never really did an extensive test so can’t really say which one is better.
Another belt I did try that I liked was while waiting for a belt, I made one up by cutting up compact cassette tape and made a belt from it.

Reactions: Rawlit

thekong

May 10, 2012
@TooCool4

What is the purpose of having another setting for the second tonearm / cartridge? Is it to deal with the minute difference in stylus drag?

Thanks!

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU

Here you can find all the informations.
The function of this superbe motor unit is really outstanding. I use the Verdier version for my Platine Verdier and Nouvelle Verdier with a long Transrotor flat rim with fantastic results.
The software allows you to program 3 turntables with each 3 cartridges, so you can control the playing time for cartridges (if you stop every time the motor you rise your needle from the groove. I don’t do it….) and belt. You can adjust the rpm, the starting speed, the speed for stopping the platter, you can program automatic intervals to turn the platter just for a short time to spread the oil in the bearings after long time of no use. And different other nice little features.

A real fantastic toy to play with. Earlier I didn’t know that a simple motor could have other functions than to turn around, but indeed they can do more… :)

Reactions: thekong

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Like Birdwatcher said, the motor has a built-in timer. With the timer it records how long the cartridge has been in use, let’s say your cartridge is rated for 1000 hours. Once that time is reached, you can check the cartridge to see if it still has life left in it. If you have more than one arm / cartridge, you can keep track of the hours on each one and know when to check them. Some people use a stopwatch to keep track of the hours used on their cartridge, with this motor it does it for you.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019

Here you can find all the informations.
The function of this superbe motor unit is really outstanding. I use the Verdier version for my Platine Verdier and Nouvelle Verdier with a long Transrotor flat rim with fantastic results.
The software allows you to program 3 turntables with each 3 cartridges, so you can control the playing time for cartridges (if you stop every time the motor you rise your needle from the groove. I don’t do it….) and belt. You can adjust the rpm, the starting speed, the speed for stopping the platter, you can program automatic intervals to turn the platter just for a short time to spread the oil in the bearings after long time of no use. And different other nice little features.

A real fantastic toy to play with. Earlier I didn’t know that a simple motor could have other functions than to turn around, but indeed they can do more… :)
did you check wow&flutter with this motor on La Platine Verdier? how does it compare to original Philips motor? the original Philips motor is very good actually. a very well set up and maintained Verdier with original Philips motor has the best wow&flutter results I have ever tested and I have tested a lot. better than best sme, techdas, davinci, j. sikora, kronos pro, new-much praised technics or old direct drives. I wonder if Dereneville motor brought any improvements in terms of W&F.

it's a common belief that a simple 70's DD deck can easily beat even the best belt drives but no. they're good but not excellent. IME they don't measure as good as a good belt drive.

Reactions: n+1

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
How did you measure w&f?
I used to use Dr. Feickert's platterspeed now I use analogmagik and wfgui together with different test records. additionally I use iphone apps to quickly get an idea. I don't rely on those iphone apps, they're for quick reference.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
I use Dr. Feickert Adjust+ software. They have now stopped making this excellent software, but since I still have it and the USB key I am good to go. :cool:

Birdwatcher

May 29, 2018
EU
How do you use the Feickert software, with which test record to generate the signal?
I am still searching for a more exact and valide measurment method than my iPhone with RPM app.

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
Have a look at this vid, it shows you just one of the functions the Adjust+ software can do.
As you watch the vid, on the left hand side of the software screen you will see other function it can do.

Reactions: Birdwatcher

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
How do you use the Feickert software, with which test record to generate the signal?
I am still searching for a more exact and valide measurment method than my iPhone with RPM app.
Forget the Feickert software it’s not the best due to poor quality test records that came with software. IME the best option for the moment is AM together with AM test records. IMHO second best and cheap solution is wfgui software. It’s free but requires a windows computer. You can use it with any test record that contains 3000 or 3150Hz track.

If you want to get a quick reference using iphone app I recommend “turntable speed”. It’s better than “RPM”. Please be aware all those apps rely on phone’s accelerometers and results vary between phones even between same models.

There are some standards for W&F measurements. WRMS or DIN give lower numbers than AES but IMHO it’s best to stick with more reliable AES method. AFAIK only AM software is capable of measuring AES W&F. IMHO any turntable measured below % 0.1 AES using AM software is good, below %0.075 is great and below %0.05 is best.

Last edited:

TooCool4

Feb 7, 2013
England
mtemur how precise do you want to measure, if the software can measure below what I can hear I am happy.
I know of Alex he was on a forum I used to be on and he used to work for Creek Audio as far as I remember, he knows his stuff.

I am happy with Dr. Feicket Adjust+ software, it does better than my ears can detect anything more is an over kill. I listen to music not test tones, some people are into test tones not me I love music. Frankly who cares if you can measure better than the Feicket’s software, I can’t hear it and I am too busy enjoying my music to care about figures that only an oscilloscope can detect.

Reactions: XV-1

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I am happy with Dr. Feicket Adjust+ software, it does better than my ears can detect anything more is an over kill. I listen to music not test tones, some people are into test tones not me I love music. Frankly who cares if you can measure better than the Feicket’s software, I can’t hear it and I am too busy enjoying my music to care about figures that only an oscilloscope can detect.
I’m glad Adjust+ worked for you. It’s a great software. My consideration was only about quality of it’s test records. Anyway that’s not important if you’re happy with it and busy listening music. But in that case even Adjust+ is an overkill.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
:cool::eek: As said earlier they are saying 0,2% is an appropriate result, 0,1% a good result. Sorry, but this software seems to be an amateur gadget. I´d rather go with Feickert.
Good for you cause AM is a piece of software that you don’t have or most probably will never have. If you can learn to use Feickert software properly it can yield to a good setup too.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing