Design vs. Parts

c1ferrari

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 15, 2010
dj,

Have you ever given consideration to something like a DriveRack 4800?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Right. I forgot that you strictly have a digital system so messing around with the signal in the digital domain is fine with you. People who own analog sources in addition to their digital source(s) aren't automatically fired up about converting their analog signal to digital and then back to analog again.
I don't speak for other folks and I don't like to put people into categories or groups because doing so doesn't account for the individuality and uniqueness of everyone's experiences. I do know of some folks that spin vinyl and use the DEQX as well. They say it only makes their vinyl sound much better. I don't doubt their testimonies since I haven't had a contrary experience.

You are correct that integrating subs the way I have on front and back walls to destroy axial nulls/modes cannot be done without digital somewhere in the chain. Whether integrating subs as described herein after vinyl makes a SYSTEM sound better can only be decided by those with that experience.

Michael.

ar-t

Jun 3, 2011
Texas
ar-t.co
It also makes you question what is being accomplished by some 'modders' who replace wires and passive components in devices made by quality/experienced designers.

Don't get me started on that one................don't want to get banned.

But, to the original point...........I would say design, because part of the design process is to know what parts are really important, and what happens if you get that wrong.

Then the modders come in and "Krassen-ize" something. A guy who used to work for us spent hours "de-Krassen-izing" a PS Audio preamp (yeah, around 30 years ago), and really tore into the guilty party, when he had the great misfortune to call us up and annoy us one day.

He never called back..................

merrillaudio

Right. I forgot that you strictly have a digital system so messing around with the signal in the digital domain is fine with you. People who own analog sources in addition to their digital source(s) aren't automatically fired up about converting their analog signal to digital and then back to analog again.

There are more and more systems with A/D and then RIAA eq in the digital domain. TAS had an article with PS Audio A/D, although some could argue that is not high end. Then there is Channel D Seta. If you really want to go high end, pick up a Emm labs or other pro A/D.

From what I have heard at 192/24 you would have to have a really good system and room (well treated room) to hear the difference. But that is IMHO.

On another note, the DEQX was tried against the Hilo Lynx.
The DEQX was very nice to use, integrated with everything and the kitchen sink. It would eq just the speakers, the it would eq the room. The DEQX support guys could even dial in and do the measurement and setting for you. Very slick.

The only thing going for the Lynx Hilo was the sonic quality and it had 4 channels out. The A/D was a bonus. The room eq was done with a Behringer and compared to the DEQX.

The final result was the eq'ing the mids and highs was not pleasant. It had a artificial sound, even plastic if you can call it that. This is consistent with many on the eq front. We eq'ed just the bass from 250 Hz down. There were slight adjustments on the top end but only shelving filters with 1 or 2 db adjustment over an octave or more.

With both the eq devices, the bass eq made everything "good". We took the bass peaks out and pushed up bass suckouts and valleys a 3-5 db.
The slow curves adjustment on the top end help balance the top end without any harsh effects. For some this was more a "preference" and for the technical, this was more correct. I would imagine in a room without treatments, it would be easy to drop the top end to reduce the brightness. However I think room treatments are much better sounding.

The point I was trying to make here was that the Lynx Hilo and a Behringer got the job done and I preferred the sonics of the Lynx Hilo. Perhaps you could give it a try also.

merrillaudio

It also makes you question what is being accomplished by some 'modders' who replace wires and passive components in devices made by quality/experienced designers.

Well some times this works since cost is always a consideration with manufactures (such as myself, manufacturer that is). Other times is it overkill. A $20 cap in a system with a lot of other flaws won't do it and I suspect a lot of this work is really tone control to get the system to where the owner likes the sound of it, or perhaps it masks some of the flaws in the system such as a bad source.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
Interesting discussion.
What category does DSP coding fall into?
Changing the code for an algorithm?

merrillaudio

Interesting discussion.
What category does DSP coding fall into?
Changing the code for an algorithm?

The same I would imagine. There is good code and bad code. I was a programmer in my younger days and still do quite a bit now.

For an example (just an example and not the definitive answer)
Windows - bad code
Linux - good code.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing