Destination Audio Vista Loudspeaker

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Hi, I just spotted this exchange, so writing to update you on the distribution matter. G point audio is Destination Audio distribution in the UK. We do have their 45 amps, and the latest version of the 76pre on the permanent display in our demo room in Sussex. We also have DA WE417 Phono, all the time connected to the J.Sikora Reference TT.

Our Nika speakers shortly will be here as well, since the Field Coil version had been announced we re organized the order to create an ability to demonstrate both options. The Next to come to join the demo set , will be the DA GM70. So please feel to ping me an email or PM here, on the WTB messenger if you like to know more details about the products or arrange a demo with us. Greg
Thank you Greg.
Having just come from the Tobian 18FLH thread, i feel it might be prudent to check pricing before going further...??

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Here's a sneak peak at Destination Audio's new Flagship Loudspeaker, The Malta. The first production pair is now under construction. There are two models available. The 'smaller' model has a compliment of field coil drivers all over-spec'd for their job. It is available in a traditional model and an SE model which has magnetics that are impregnated with cobalt and phenolic innards. The low bass is handled by a 31 inch down-firing woofer, there are 2, 16 inch field coil drivers handling mid to low bass, a massive mid compression driver/horn and a horn tweeter with the same dispersion pattern as the mid-woofer. There is no strain to the presentation at most any frequency or volume. From 23hz to 12khz it plays much like a two way. You can see that the horn is further into the enlarged cabinet making this the most coherent Destination Horn as well as its flagship. Sensitivity is 112db.

Malta Front.png

Last edited:

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
The Malta

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Malta Side View Malta Side.png

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Malta with avatars.
Tiny Malta Side with Avatars.png
Tiny Malta Front with Avatars.png

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Colour me interested?

Reactions: Fred Crane

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Really impressive!
What does a 31” driver look like - can you send a photo?
And please PM me the price list and other info.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I think this is my favorite new production horn loudspeaker!

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Really impressive!
What does a 31” driver look like - can you send a photo?
And please PM me the price list and other info.
It looks like most drivers, just bigger : ) For years, I had an interest in the Fostex FW800HS, a 31.5 inch bass driver. I bought a used pair back when they could be had reasonably. Of course the great thing about them is the nuance at low levels. You have need of only small excursions for large output. The rated 96db sensitivity seemed a little off....they still liked more power than my 2a3 monos cared to give. ( I ended up powering them with a modified chip amp) Still, the seed was planted that this was a valid solution. Of course, the engineers at Destination have taken that idea and improved upon it in every facet. They shaved off a small bit of size to get what they wanted and developed a field coil driver.

I don't actually have any photos of just the drivers. By the time, I got to Poland they were already mounted inside of the enclosures. I will see about getting one after a new batch is complete.

I'll p.m. you the rest.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Looks impressive
$5 million???
$8 million, but because you're a well known member, we'll give you essentially the dealer discount of $5 million. : ) Love your system by the way.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I love that field coil technology appears to be making a comeback. There’s no reason why it shouldn’t in the high-end.
I agree entirely. However, it has to be a real study. People implementing them, just to implement them may not be doing themselves any favors. They will definitely make the sound better or less than depending upon the amount of time spent designing the power supply.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
It is quite attractive I think. I wonder how large a room it needs.
It could go in most rooms that the Vista might occupy. It also has the advantage of an adjustable power supply for the bass driver, that it may adapt to environs that one wouldn't necessarily endorse at first glance. Like the Vista, they can work well as corner horns or out in the room.

Reactions: PeterA

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
It could go in most rooms that the Vista might occupy. It also has the advantage of an adjustable power supply for the bass driver, that it may adapt to environs that one wouldn't necessarily endorse at first glance. Like the Vista, they can work well as corner horns or out in the room.

Fred, you mean just placed in the corner, right? They are not corner horns in the sense that they have closed backs and do not utilize the room's corner walls as an extension of the folded horn design, like true corner horn speakers do.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
That's correct. They are not true corner horns that rely upon the room's corners to create bass and project into the room.
They will play consistently from a variety of corners unlike true corner horns which are subject to the building materials, curtailing of moldings etc. to produce sound.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
$8 million, but because you're a well known member, we'll give you essentially the dealer discount of $5 million. : ) Love your system by the way.
Thank you,
but in all seriousness is it possible to know the approx. cost?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing