Destination Audio Vista Loudspeaker

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Fred, what an ambitious project! Your creativity and Sam's willingness to go there knows no bounds. After hearing the Vista's earlier this year I can only imagine what the Malta's might imbue on us. Congratulations to you and Sam for conceiving this beauty and doing the hard work to make it a reality.

Reactions: PeterA

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hello Fred,

In the Vista, what compression driver is used for the midrange? For the tweeter?

Thank you.

Reactions: Zeotrope

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Hello Fred,

In the Vista, what compression driver is used for the midrange? For the tweeter?

Thank you.
Hi Ron,

Thank you for the question and I hope you had a fine holiday season. We prefer to not publish that information. Suffice it to say that the compression drivers are specially sourced and modified as are the tweeters. The field coil versions are entirely different and again are modified for Destination Audio's use and sound profile.

atb,

Fred

Reactions: ddk

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi Ron,

Thank you for the question and I hope you had a fine holiday season. We prefer to not publish that information. Suffice it to say that the compression drivers are specially sourced and modified as are the tweeters. The field coil versions are entirely different and again are modified for Destination Audio's use and sound profile.

atb,

Fred

Thank you, Fred.

Reactions: Fred Crane

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi Ron,

atb,

Fred

Happy New Year Fred. I am planning to come up to visit you again soon. I will be in touch. I look forward to hearing your new gear and being in that great space you have created. Your company and libations are pretty fantastic too.

Reactions: bonzo75

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Happy New Year Fred. I am planning to come up to visit you again soon. I will be in touch. I look forward to hearing your new gear and being in that great space you have created. Your company and libations are pretty fantastic too.
We would love to have you! Deep in set-up mode at present, but looking forward to the new season in Feb.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
This looks very very interesting....speakers and electronics. Thanks for pushing the envelope!

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
I bet the new Whammerdyne Audio DGA-1 Ultra 2a3 Tube Integrated amp would be a great match with these speakers

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Are they still using the Electroprint iron? I think so...beautifully built gear.
I love the 2a3...it's a great tube. The 45 on these is even better. Destination also
voices their amps with the speakers as you would imagine. He also voices them with
a variety of amps, so that they will play well with most anything. Absolute nirvana comes
when using the Destination Amps.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Fred,

Looking up the Malta...what are the exact dimensions of this speaker? Is it 6.5 feet tall? 7 feet tall? And perhaps 4.5 - 5' wide and probably 4.5' - 5' deep? How heavy? Intrigued to know more. Thank you.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Hi Fred,

Looking up the Malta...what are the exact dimensions of this speaker? Is it 6.5 feet tall? 7 feet tall? And perhaps 4.5 - 5' wide and probably 4.5' - 5' deep? How heavy? Intrigued to know more. Thank you.
Well, you almost nailed it. It's 141cm wide (4ft. 6 inches) x 120cm deep (3 ft. 9 inches) x 213cm tall (6ft. 9.88 inches tall). Each speaker ships in 3 pieces to accommodate standard door width. Weight is about 950 pounds per speaker,. The wood had to be thicker than in the Vista to account for bass excursion. While the standard Malta will reach near concert volume in most any home with a frequency response that extends from 14hz to 30khz, there is a taller, thinner version in the works that will come with a bespoke room-mated horn subwoofer....the idea being to effortlessly reach concert levels in larger than what would be considered a home space... while exceeding the coherence and nuance of Destination's offerings thus far as does the traditional Malta. It will also go lower, not that it needs to do so.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Well, you almost nailed it. It's 141cm wide (4ft. 6 inches) x 120cm deep (3 ft. 9 inches) x 213cm tall (6ft. 9.88 inches tall). Each speaker ships in 3 pieces to accommodate standard door width. Weight is about 950 pounds per speaker,. The wood had to be thicker than in the Vista to account for bass excursion. While the standard Malta will reach near concert volume in most any home with a frequency response that extends from 14hz to 30khz, there is a taller, thinner version in the works that will come with a bespoke room-mated horn subwoofer....the idea being to effortlessly reach concert levels in larger than what would be considered a home space... while exceeding the coherence and nuance of Destination's offerings thus far as does the traditional Malta. It will also go lower, not that it needs to do so.
Thanks! BIG! But manageable as you have said if you really want something that is in that 'end of the journey' category which these sound like they were designed to be.

Look forward to learning more about the taller thinner version as well.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Thanks! BIG! But manageable as you have said if you really want something that is in that 'end of the journey' category which these sound like they were designed to be.

Look forward to learning more about the taller thinner version as well.
Happy to keep you in the loop. The Malta SE is a special order product due to the bass horn being different for every installation.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think this speaker looks like a great partner for Lamm ML2 or ML3.
They make an integrated that is based on the same tube as the ML#3.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Happy to keep you in the loop. The Malta SE is a special order product due to the bass horn being different for every installation.
Thank you very much. That would be much appreciated.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Head Whammer

Jan 16, 2023
Portland,Oregon
Are they still using the Electroprint iron? I think so...beautifully built gear.
I love the 2a3...it's a great tube. The 45 on these is even better. Destination also
voices their amps with the speakers as you would imagine. He also voices them with
a variety of amps, so that they will play well with most anything. Absolute nirvana comes
when using the Destination Amps.
Hello Fred, your thoughts on our Iron use, we have our output 'formers custom made to our specifications by the excellent Monolith Magnetic's in Belgium. The smaller amp DGA-1 Ultra has internal monoliths as well our DAM-2 Mono blocks with the optional outboard RAM's Remote Advanced magnetic's transformers that are much larger and have lower inductance for improved low end extension. Additionally all our amplifiers are fully DC regulated power supplies as well fully DC coupled from drive to output tubes

Thanks again for the very nice comments about our amps. HW~

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I heard the Vista'a recently at Prana Distributions showroom in Gloucester, Mass. Sam Wisnewski, the Founder and Chief Engineer of Destination was visiting from Poland and took me deep into the lengths he goes to create his version of reality. I will leave telling more of that story to Fred Crane, the US Importer. .

For the listening sessions spread out over two days we used Destination's GM-70 integrated amplifier and tube DAC and the sound was astonishing! Dynamics, bass impact, midrange to die for, wall-to-wall soundstage, etc, etc,.

In 40 years of being immersed in high-end audio this was my first exposure to a truly full-range horn. All I can say is I am smitten by the experience and truly appreciate the WBF members who are devotees of "natural sound".

I encourage anyone who wants a sensational audio experience to make the pilgrimage to Fred's to hear the Destination loudspeakers and electronics. Add to that, Fred has quite the selection of spirits on hand that he loves to share:) My sense is Fred knows as much about single malt scotch and other libations as he does horns and SE amplification!

PS I learned Destination now offers their speakers in two versions, standard and field coil. The ones I heard were the standard versions, so I look forward to returning to hear the 117db FC version with the low watt 45/50 amplifiers.
Interesting...would like the hear the Vistas. Having heard the new AG Trios recently, they are the first horns that impressed me enough to keep them in mind. Have enjoyed reading about the Vistas here and on Dagogo.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
I have not heard the Vistas but adopted the same setup with my own custom field coil horns:
- adjustable midrange and tweeter for proper time alignment
- tweeter set to ear height
- simple crossover with only a few (<10) high quality parts

Rene, the head of Nagra’s sales and marketing and Fabio (Alma) both said it’s the first horn they have ever heard without any colouration.

So I would seriously consider The Vistas if I hadn’t designed these horns.

[CANNOT UPLOAD IMAGES - WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE SITE? SAYS FILES ARE TOO LARGE, BUT I HAVE UPLOADED THIS FILE SIZE BEFORE WITHOUT ISSUE]

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have not heard the Vistas but adopted the same setup with my own custom field coil horns:
- adjustable midrange and tweeter for proper time alignment
- tweeter set to ear height
- simple crossover with only a few (<10) high quality parts

Rene, the head of Nagra’s sales and marketing and Fabio (Alma) both said it’s the first horn they have ever heard without any colouration.

So I would seriously consider The Vistas if I hadn’t designed these horns.

[CANNOT UPLOAD IMAGES - WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO THE SITE? SAYS FILES ARE TOO LARGE, BUT I HAVE UPLOADED THIS FILE SIZE BEFORE WITHOUT ISSUE]
Thanks...good to know. Hopefully you will be able to update. Would be interesting to see.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing