Destination Audio's Malta (Listening Bar) Horn Loudspeaker System

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I've been to Gold Line in LA. Cool place. It's more of a DJ/selector vibe. The bar is pretty narrow, so it's not like you're getting a hi-fi experience, but their system sounds good. But, yeah, it's a shotgun-shaped bar, not a "room," per se, so I don't think anyone's doing anything like critical/deep listening there. More like enjoying the vibe. And, honestly, most of the crowd is out on their sidewalk tables.

Now that I'm in London for a while, I'm looking forward to checking out Spiritland and maybe Brilliant Corners again, when I'm ready for a nice sushi meal. Berlin in December, will try Rhinoceros and also go to Sun Ship Audio to hear their TAD-driver-based speakers.

Reactions: Fred Crane

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
I've been to Gold Line in LA. Cool place. It's more of a DJ/selector vibe. The bar is pretty narrow, so it's not like you're getting a hi-fi experience, but their system sounds good. But, yeah, it's a shotgun-shaped bar, not a "room," per se, so I don't think anyone's doing anything like critical/deep listening there. More like enjoying the vibe. And, honestly, most of the crowd is out on their sidewalk tables.

Now that I'm in London for a while, I'm looking forward to checking out Spiritland and maybe Brilliant Corners again, when I'm ready for a nice sushi meal. Berlin in December, will try Rhinoceros and also go to Sun Ship Audio to hear their TAD-driver-based speakers.
I hope you have a ball. Curious to, how you like the TAD speakers paired with the JMF solid state amplifier. Should be interesting.

Reactions: wbass

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Ah, you're right. I didn't clock that SS amp on first look. Hmm, interesting, I'd be inclined to use tube amplification, but I don't know JMF. Should be a fun listen when it happens.

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Also an ASR...which is to say, 2 solid state amps I've enjoyed in the past. Unlikely that someone would have two sand amps I like... so I'm assuming they're getting the sound they want. Have fun!!

Reactions: wbass

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
For those who didn't see the post in the Destination Audio Vista Loudspeaker thread, Destination Audio has launched a new statement loudspeaker, the Destination Malta. There are two models available. The 'smaller' model has a compliment of field coil drivers all over-spec'd for their job. It is available in a traditional model and an SE model which has magnetics that are impregnated with cobalt and a phenolic diaphragm. The low bass is handled by a field coil 31 inch down-firing woofer, there are 2, 16 inch field coil drivers handling mid to low bass, a massive mid compression driver/horn and a horn tweeter with the same dispersion pattern as the mid-woofer. There is no strain to the presentation at most any frequency or volume. From 23hz to 12khz it plays much like a two way. You can see that the horn is set further into the enlarged cabinet making this the most coherent Destination Horn as well as its flagship. Despite appearances, the horn does not actually touch the bass horn, rather it is counter-levered and adjustable depending upon the proximity of the listeners. Sensitivity is 112db. Frequency response is 15hz in most rooms to 25khz.

Malta Front.png

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
a few more shots of the Destination Malta
Tiny Malta Side with Avatars.png
Tiny Malta Front with Avatars.png

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
and lastly
Malta Side.png

Reactions: DetroitVinylRob

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Fantastic thread sir!

My father owned a night club that featured about any genre of music you can image - Dac Watson to The Breeders. Los Lobos to Mary Chaplin Carpenter and Buddy Guy…. Billy Cobham, Larry Coryell, John Lee Hooker…. He got me into hi fi too. I’ve always dreamed of a place that somehow combined the two - live and recorded - with both sounding fantastic.

I’ve been reading about the Kissa bars with fascination, but have never been. I wonder how many of these places you’ve been able to visit? ….. when are you going to get one going in the Boston area so I don’t have to travel so far, lol?!?

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Fantastic thread sir!

My father owned a night club that featured about any genre of music you can image - Dac Watson to The Breeders. Los Lobos to Mary Chaplin Carpenter and Buddy Guy…. Billy Cobham, Larry Coryell, John Lee Hooker…. He got me into hi fi too. I’ve always dreamed of a place that somehow combined the two - live and recorded - with both sounding fantastic.

I’ve been reading about the Kissa bars with fascination, but have never been. I wonder how many of these places you’ve been able to visit? ….. when are you going to get one going in the Boston area so I don’t have to travel so far, lol?!?
I'm glad you like it! What a rich lineage!! I've been to a fair number of the listening bars. Whenever I feel like I'm making a dent, some more open.

Likewise I was able to hear quite a bit of live music in my youth. Now, it's my goal to share something similar with my daughter. Not as easy as it once was perhaps.

Not to bury the lead, but we have a space and are aiming for a Spring 2024 open. In the mean time, I hope you can make it up to Gloucester some time.

Reactions: Golum

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
Reactions: Fred Crane

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
For those who didn't see the post in the Destination Audio Vista Loudspeaker thread, Destination Audio has launched a new statement loudspeaker, the Destination Malta. There are two models available. The 'smaller' model has a compliment of field coil drivers all over-spec'd for their job. It is available in a traditional model and an SE model which has magnetics that are impregnated with cobalt and a phenolic diaphragm. The low bass is handled by a field coil 31 inch down-firing woofer, there are 2, 16 inch field coil drivers handling mid to low bass, a massive mid compression driver/horn and a horn tweeter with the same dispersion pattern as the mid-woofer. There is no strain to the presentation at most any frequency or volume. From 23hz to 12khz it plays much like a two way. You can see that the horn is set further into the enlarged cabinet making this the most coherent Destination Horn as well as its flagship. Despite appearances, the horn does not actually touch the bass horn, rather it is counter-levered and adjustable depending upon the proximity of the listeners. Sensitivity is 112db. Frequency response is 15hz in most rooms to 25khz.

View attachment 99021
Where and when will we be able to hear one of these? Very intrigued to learn more...absolutely massive size will be an issue for some (perhaps many)...but given that horns that are full range generally are...if anything, you have managed a surprisingly 'manageable' set of dimensions given the sheer power of what you are delivering...15hz to 25khz delivered by horns plus 2 x 16" cones plus a 31" cone...per channel!

Fred Crane

Industry Expert
Apr 23, 2020
Where and when will we be able to hear one of these? Very intrigued to learn more...absolutely massive size will be an issue for some (perhaps many)...but given that horns that are full range generally are...if anything, you have managed a surprisingly 'manageable' set of dimensions given the sheer power of what you are delivering...15hz to 25khz delivered by horns plus 2 x 16" cones plus a 31" cone...per channel!
It's our expectation that there will be revisions before the final horns are ready for prime time. As we near the final prototype models, we'll add updates and videos.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
It's our expectation that there will be revisions before the final horns are ready for prime time. As we near the final prototype models, we'll add updates and videos.
Fantastic! Very much look forward to that and possibly to hearing it in person one day soon. Most intriguing.

baocrazy78

Jan 9, 2021

RPM by Dbespoke in Singapore:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing