* Did you watch a film last night (on Blu or DVD), and what was it? *

I watched 'Jupiter Ascending' - 3D on Blu-ray last night (Dolby TrueHD 7.1).

125625_large.jpg

Would you like the short version (my own review) or the long extended one?
I have no choice but to give you the short one for now, because I believe it requires another viewing or two.
The dialog is important to listen to (not that is the philosophical/scientific type because it's not), and the actors (some of them) are talking very softly, so I had to turn up the master volume.
And then, when the action kicks in it is total mayhem and then I had to turn the volume down because it is loud and inconsistent, bordering on the irritating.
Yes, this is the type of audio like that, less than ideal.

And the music didn't rock my boat, not my style...too much going on @ the same time.

The visuals are nice though, mainly. It reminds me of Star Wars, and a bit of Interstellar and Gravity and Lord of the Rings and in 3D.
But the 3D is not fully exploited in my opinion, and with fast action scenes we lose too much focus, which is unfortunate.
The decor sets, the makeups, the dresses...all very nice and colorful though, and the big sets with the futuristic architectures are well rendered.
Some of it was filmed in Chicago by the way.

Now, the film itself; the storyline starts with a promising concept, but the ensuing plot becomes too childish, too underdeveloped, ...obviously it was intended for younger audiences in mind, with a financial reward. ...But it failed, almost miserably.
'Jupiter Ascending' seems to be the "women" sci-fi cult flick more than anything else. I think it has to do with our heroine, Mila Kunis.
And speaking of Mila, she is the main essence in that film; pretty to look @ and with her big lovely eyes she maintains the attraction.

Time is the main commodity in the universe. Oh yeah, and eternal youth too.

I will revisit it for sure, to explore more the mind of our two directors, and the movie studios for who they work for.

This was only a very brief outlook from my first viewing, on Blu-ray, 3D, and with Dolby TrueHD 7.1, the core audio soundtrack of Dolby Atmos.
{I don't have yet a Dolby Atmos pre/pro, but I will.}

My own personal score rating from my first viewing (out of 100, each category):
? Picture quality (3D): 82.5 ...Another time for 2D.
? Audio quality: 80 ...Lower because of inconsistency with the volume, and too much sound effects with the music score which was simply too busy to ingest.
? Film itself: 62.5 ...There were some scenes that did not follow the preceding ones, and that made things confusing @ times (I need to revisit).

? Overall: 67.5

? Last words: Have a Look. ...And tell me if you agree, or not.

________

________

? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jupiter_Ascending

? Was it worth it to have paid $33.60 (Cdn)? ...This is all relative; nobody has the same value that they attribute to dollars and senses. ...It doesn't affect me one bit personally.

Thanks for the review Bob. The trailer is wonderful. Whoever created that, should have made the movie. At this rate, I will wait to watch this on cable TV.

Sometimes I think there has to be a penalty for making a bad sci-fi movie :). OK to screw up anything else but so few sci-fi movies are made that we want all of to be great.

It's more like a musical opera Amir. ...The sci-fi genre for sure, and without the actors singing.

And yes, looking @ the trailers it looks very promising, but it is the sum of all the parts together that makes the final countdown. :b

One last thing, regarding the score ratings I gave it; this is not easy...I just went with my first best instinct.
And it doesn't mean much for other people, and with a second and third viewing I allow myself some flexibility...that's the way it truly goes with films, and with music too. ...It can go up, or it can go down too. ...And of course it can remain. Time works this way.
Each day is a brand new day, with a brand new vision. ...And our evaluation evolves accordingly with a new/perfected vision.

It's like when you first make love with a woman; the second and third time are different experiences.

Last edited:
Two that I viewed a few times on a b/w TV growing up.

The Naked Jungle
King Solomon's Mines

I revisited this guy last night; I'm a big David Fincher's fan. ...'The Game' ::

39030_large.jpg

* It's a non-stop ride, a birthday party/present, a very wild one, dangerous one, over-the-top. ...I just love it.
And this is the very best presentation from this Criterion Collection, on Blu.

Overall rating score (technical and film reward - entertainment): 85.5 (out of 100). ...And it ain't cheap, but neither the film in this BR version.
For true movie buff lovers/collectors, like me...and for everyone else who love to be entertained in high caliber style. ...Great acting too.

I'm sure everyone have already seen it. ...But in case you did not; check it out for a wild ride about a birthday's present...the type we all dream of. ;)

Last edited:
I revisited this guy last night; I'm a big David Fincher's fan. ...'The Game' ::

39030_large.jpg

* It's a non-stop ride, a birthday party/present, a very wild one, dangerous one, over-the-top. ...I just love it.

Overall rating score (technical and film reward - entertainment): 85.5 (out of 100). ...And it ain't cheap, but neither the film in this BR version.
For true movie buff lovers/collectors, like me...and for everyone else who love to be entertained in high caliber style. ...Great acting too.

I'm sure everyone have already saw it. ...But in case you did not; check it out for a wild ride about a birthday's present...the type we all dream of. ;)

I also own this disc & it's a great movie.

Lee

39030_large.jpg

I'm sure everyone have already seen it. ...But in case you did not; check it out for a wild ride about a birthday's present...the type we all dream of. ;)

Totally different cover...i am used to the one with Michael Douglas on the cover...i presume that is the one you are referring to? Where he is an activist hedge fund/PE investor who is given a bday present by his brother (Sean Penn) that will 'change his life'?

I really enjoyed two comedies lately. The first is The Wedding Ringer and the other spy movie parody Kingsman.

Totally different cover...i am used to the one with Michael Douglas on the cover...i presume that is the one you are referring to? Where he is an activist hedge fund/PE investor who is given a bday present by his brother (Sean Penn) that will 'change his life'?

Yes, the same movie; different transfer, from different Blu-ray transfer facilities...Criterion Collection is the best...always...best transfers (picture quality, original mono audio for older films)...best special features...best everything. ...And more expensive too...you pay more for the best. :b
And often they have brand new director's commentary audio track, and with the fillmmakers approving the new remastered pristine film's transfers, even contributing their exact original intent with refined touches, but without altering, just improving the very best picture quality, and original audio too.

125340_large.jpg

________

? Criterion Collection on Blu-ray is like Reference Recordings on music CD/SACDs, or remastered 200gr gold LPs (45rpm). ...Instead of regular Blu-ray, or DVD, or regular CD, or regular 150gr LPs (33 1/3 revolutions per minute). ...It depends...of the overall quality. ...Here, picture and sound wise, plus the better presentation of artwork, nicer/stronger transparent Blu-ray cases, booklets, and extra special features of real value (informative insight from the film director, and from cinema historians sometimes).

________
________

? Last night I revisited this (1963) ::

70516_large.jpg

I never read the book; it supposed to be the thing to do first. ...Anyway, it's in black and white (always what I prefer best for films and photographs); and it's about a group of British school-kids stranded in the middle of an island. ...And their degeneration, into savages.
It reminds me a bit of that show "Naked". ...You know...the one with a woman and a man that they drop in many harsh parts of the world for few weeks, and without clothes on, and they just do their best to survive, looking for shelter, for food, for water. ...And sometimes, because they don't know each other @ all, things are not always going well as a team. ...Plus the harsh conditions evidently; no hi-fi stereo, no electricity, no grand piano, so Magico or Wilson Audio speakers, no spoons, no forks, no filet mignon, no baked potatoes, no running hot water, no bathtubs, no walls, no wood floor, no carpets, no fridge with cold beer inside, ...no nothing else than just a bunch of bugs biting and sucking blood, snakes, and all that jazz from the jungle, forest, desert, canyon, island, ...

Anyway, it's a good film, and overall (1963, technical, film's content, acting, etc.) I would rate it by a score of: 72.5 (out of 100). It's a fair recommendation.
Plus for me to have revisited it, it means some too. ...Check it out, if you haven't already, and see if it makes some of your own chords vibrating similarly.

? R.I.P. Dad ...today I was thinking of him. He was a very good man, I missed him. ....It'll be four years now, in two weeks.

Catching up on my backlog and finally saw "the imitation game". What a fantastic movie!
Mine is still in the wrapper!!!

Funny story. When someone referenced this a week or so ago, I went looking for it but could not find it. Knew I had ordered it on Amazon. Checked and it said delivered but try as I might, I could not find it. Having had packages get lost before, I filed a complaint with them and they immediately shipped me another one. It arrives, I unwrap it and go to put it on the shelf of movies to watch, and there it was, my previous copy! How embarrassing. I let Amazon know and they said to keep the second copy free of charge!

61SHfez9OEL.jpg

Into the Woods

Much better than I expected

I revisited ex James Bond guy last night, with the pretty Olga Kurylenko ::

109885_large.jpg

* Watchable, relaxing, pleasant...it's an ok film...worth a viewing...I think.

? Overall rating score, for everythink (technical merits an film's value/entertainment - out of 100): 67.5

Last night I revisited this guy ::

116013_large.jpg

? Extremely highly recommended. ...Overall rating score (where it mostly counts): 87.5 (out of 100).

* I would have rated it more personally (90.5), but I try to keep an objective/balanced assessment. ...In line with everyone else's realistic taste for films.

I revisited this last night, in 3D :::

57777_large.jpg

If you like modern/creative/artistic/expressive dance, you will like this, very.
? Overall rating score (technically; visuals, music, 3D rendition, and innovatory/artistic entertainment): 94.5 (out of 100).

Directed by Wim Wenders. ...Won several awards for best documentary.

_______

Last edited:
Last night ... Unstoppable.

MV5BMjI4NDQwMDM0N15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMzY1ODMwNA@@._V1_SY317_CR0,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

This is the second movie I've seen recently in which Denzel stars in a movie based loosely on real events. Unstoppable is based on the CSX 8888 incident near Toledo, 2001. The real story is truly amazing, and although the movie offers the typical made-for-hollywood liberties, hero's, casualties and stunts, nobody dies in the real event, although they managed to avert the same huge disaster.

Tony Scott's frantic direction, tactful use of CGI added to his superb camera work - remains unique.

Flight ...
220px-Flight_film_poster.jpg

Like Unstoppable, Flight was also based (much more loosely tho) on another tragic event; Alaska Airlines 261, Jan 2000.

R.I.P. Tony

* He was a great filmmaker; I missed him a lot, and his brother Ridley too missed him a lot. ...They both directed Denzel and many more great actors.
Tony's style I like a lot too; freestyle, moving pictures and music. ...Great family of true artists, ...the Scott family.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing