Different Power Connectors on the Same Power Cable

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Back in the early 2000's Alan Kafton of Audio Excellence maintained that the combination of an Oyaide 079 power connector on one end and an Oyaide 004 on the other end of a power cord struck the best balance between musicality and resolution. Wondering if anyone has experimented with combinations of some of the newer outlets? For example, has anyone tried combining the gold and rhodium Furutech NCF power plugs on the same power cord or some other combination with the FI-50 NCF?

Reactions: matakana

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Further research, including earlier posts on this forum, reveals that knowledgeable audiophiles sometimes mix different connector brands, models, and plating types on the same power cable to achieve the kind of synergy that Alan Kafton described a couple of decades ago. I also found a few cable makers (e.g., Sablon) that sell power cables with different brands/plating types on each end. The puzzle is that this isn't more common.

matakana

Aug 26, 2020
UK
Further research, including earlier posts on this forum, reveals that knowledgeable audiophiles sometimes mix different connector brands, models, and plating types on the same power cable to achieve the kind of synergy that Alan Kafton described a couple of decades ago. I also found a few cable makers (e.g., Sablon) that sell power cables with different brands/plating types on each end. The puzzle is that this isn't more common.
For the last two years I have been experimenting with power cables/receptacles , I do have one Furutech Rhodium ncf receptacle in play for the phono stage, the others are oyaide non plated and copper colour , I did prefer the copper colour beryllium plug to the viborg standard unplated copper ( aluminium body ) , for the iec I preferred rhodium over unplated copper. I am now using pure solid silver iec and plugs which is very much my preference being a gradual move , and not entirely moved over yet with the other connectors.
As always its always wise to do changes very gradually so not to lose reference.
The argento fmr are not in use now!!!

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
For the last two years I have been experimenting with power cables/receptacles , I do have one Furutech Rhodium ncf receptacle in play for the phono stage, the others are oyaide non plated and copper colour , I did prefer the copper colour beryllium plug to the viborg standard unplated copper ( aluminium body ) , for the iec I preferred rhodium over unplated copper. I am now using pure solid silver iec and plugs which is very much my preference being a gradual move , and not entirely moved over yet with the other connectors.
As always its always wise to do changes very gradually so not to lose reference.
The argento fmr are not in use now!!!
If you decide to do any more experimenting try the Oyaide "Armored" AP-004 plugs which are not sold in the USA but are available from Japanese Ebay sellers. I received a set as a gift and have found them to be great sounding alone or paired with an Echole (custom) Oyaide 046 connector on my Omnia AC cable. To my ears they are Oyaide's best compromise between resolution and musicality.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
For the last two years I have been experimenting with power cables/receptacles . . .

God bless you -- and Marty -- for having the patience to conduct experiments like this!

Musicman

May 30, 2021
New Mexico
I've been experimenting with Oyaide P and C plugs on different power cords and different configurations for over a decade now with some very satisfying results but the one combo that has stood out is taking a P-046 or C-046 connector and removing the outer shell and installing the M1 or F1 shell/body. With the gold plating/palladium on the connectors and the added mass/dampening with the M1/F1 shells/body, it is truly revealing of a components character.

Of course, all this is system and component dependent but the tools are out there to customize a power cable to ones system/component to a remarkable degree.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I've been experimenting with Oyaide P and C plugs on different power cords and different configurations for over a decade now with some very satisfying results but the one combo that has stood out is taking a P-046 or C-046 connector and removing the outer shell and installing the M1 or F1 shell/body. With the gold plating/palladium on the connectors and the added mass/dampening with the M1/F1 shells/body, it is truly revealing of a components character.

Of course, all this is system and component dependent but the tools are out there to customize a power cable to ones system/component to a remarkable degree.
Have you tried the Oyaide "Armored" AP-004 plugs? I'm getting great results these on one end and 046 on the other.

Reactions: Armsan

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I spend a lot of time with different ac plugs and receptacles over the years and I tried most of them. I think oyaide c046 with p004 is a good combination. I’m talking about only the cooked/cryogenically treated versions. Almost all oyaide ac plugs are good and definitely better compared to furutech counterparts. Best oyaide plugs are 046 series and best furutech is FI-11 cu, the cheapest one. When FI-11’s (cu) inner part (connectors) used with FI-50 NCF’s casing it becomes the best combination for my ears.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I spend a lot of time with different ac plugs and receptacles over the years and I tried most of them. I think oyaide c046 with p004 is a good combination. I’m talking about only the cooked/cryogenically treated versions. Almost all oyaide ac plugs are good and definitely better compared to furutech counterparts. Best oyaide plugs are 046 series and best furutech is FI-11 cu, the cheapest one. When FI-11’s (cu) inner part (connectors) used with FI-50 NCF’s casing it becomes the best combination for my ears.
The Oyaide "Armored" AP-004 and AC-004 (not distributed in the USA but available direct from Japan) are significantly better than the P/C-004 sold in the States. I have AC-004 on one end and the made for Echole version of the P-046 on the other end of my Omnia PC.

FYI: https://singaporehifi.blogspot.com/2017/12/oyaide-armored-series-iec-ac-plugs.html

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
After extended listening the Oyaide AP-004 and AC-004 "Armored" AC connectors (never distributed in the USA) are the best sounding power connectors I've heard - better sounding than the Furutech FI-50 NCF(R) which despite its virtues has, to my ears, the typical cool, clinical Rhodium sound (I have banished all Rhodium plated connectors from my system). On one end of my Echole Omnia PC (feeding the Modwright-Marantz SA8005) the AC-004 adds perceived speed and improved articulation without affecting timbre or tonality, or otherwise adding any signature of its own. I also had both OEM Furutech FI-15(G) AC plugs on a Verastarr Grand Illusion HC PC (wall to power conditioner) replaced with the Oyaide AP-004 and AC-004, resulting in a similar improvement. Note that Mike Powell of Verastarr warned against trying to make this switch myself, so I ended up sending the cable and connectors to him. This Verastarr PC was universally highly regarded by reviewers (It was a 6moons.com "Blue Moon" award winner), and remains one of my favorite PC's of all time. The addition of the Oyaide "Armored" AC connectors makes it integrate well in a system where the other PC's are Echole and Hemingway Audio. I have taken it off of my upgrade list.

Last edited:

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
Anything you replace plug-wise makes a difference, same for a wall outlet and even what material the wall plate is. All changes and adds colors to the sound, so they are not right, because, in the end, it is what we like, and chasing our tail comes the end result, now fuses, and on and on. It's a hobby.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing