Digital vs. vinyl (a non-perfect comparison)

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
A couple of videos of Chris Jones's 'No Sanctuary Here' (shot directly with my Samsung and its built-in mic):

Digital on system one:

Vinyl on system two:

The digital system isn't perfect, the vinyl system isn't perfect... but both sound very satisfying in reality (to my ears at least).

Mani

Reactions: Zorro

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
To me, over headphones, the voice sounds far more natural on the digital. Does that say anything about analog vs. digital in general? Of course not. Just something about those two particular systems/set-ups/masterings, and perhaps the vinyl pressing.

Reactions: manisandher

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
I believe they are from the same master.

The biggest difference between these two has nothing to do the medium or the gear... it's the room - one a dedicated listening room, the other my humble home office.

Mani.

Reactions: MPS and Al M.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
I believe they are from the same master.

The biggest difference between these two has nothing to do the medium or the gear... it's the room - one a dedicated listening room, the other my humble home office.

Mani.
If the digital (24/44.1) is from Tidal or Qobuz I believe it is a remaster. If you have the CD ripped then it should be the same master as the vinyl.
cheers

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
The digital was a Tidal 16/44.1 stream.

Listening to them, I'm confident they're from the same master. I can easily check by capturing the vinyl with an ADC and comparing the FFTs - will do this at some point.

Mani.

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Wouldn’t a better comparison be playing them in the same system in the same room? Right now listening to a wonderful subscription concert from St. Martins in the Field through my 2 channel rig. Will check the videos out that way when it is finished.

manisandher

Feb 7, 2011
www.the2ndtier.com
Oh definitely.

My digital system uses DSP, so I can't simply connect an analogue source to it. It'd be possible to connect a DAC to my office system, but I'm not sure I have the inclination to try this any time soon.

For this thread at least, we'll have to make do with "a non-perfect comparison" :).

Mani.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing