Do Planar Magnetic Speakers Such as Alsyvox and Wisdom Audio Provide Correct Image Size?

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
I'm wondering if large/tall Planar Magnetic Speakers such as Alsyvox or Wisdom Audio provide accurate image size and placement accuracy of vocals and instrument? Would the assumption that dipole versions create better soundstage, as in larger and deeper be correct? The Wisdom Planar Magnetics is supposed to eliminated floor and ceiling boundaries (Down to 80hz at least in their flagship LS4s) but do the Alsyvox have the same or similar benefit?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I'm wondering if large/tall Planar Magnetic Speakers such as Alsyvox or Wisdom Audio provide accurate image size and placement accuracy of vocals and instrument? Would the assumption that dipole versions create better soundstage, as in larger and deeper be correct? The Wisdom Planar Magnetics is supposed to eliminated floor and ceiling boundaries (Down to 80hz at least in their flagship LS4s) but do the Alsyvox have the same or similar benefit?
My opinion is that the image size is life like size. Not too large and not too small. The dispersion pattern is mostly front (50%) and rear (50%).

There is no lateral air movement from the sides. As a result you can place the Alsyvox speakers VERY close to a wall if desired, which works well at times, especially in a small room.

With Alsyvox speakers, I would not think there is complete elimination from the floor and ceiling boundaries, although most of the air movement/dispersion is frontwards and backwards.

Reactions: Alrainbow

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've heard Alsyvox produce excellent soundstage and imaging with realistic and appropriate image size.

Image size can be the result of a lot more than speakers though, amps and cables can make a huge difference. Different tubes in the same tube amp can make a difference. With cables, foil cables tend to make for larger than life images and very clean and accurate cables using effective noise-canceling geometry (something impossible with foil) can often make for a more focused image. Some systems are very sensitive to this, such as a system with hard-cone drivers and very low distortion SS amps, and in particular speakers with Accuton drivers can radically change image size depending on only the cables used.

Reactions: Argonaut

Nuprin

Jan 9, 2020
NC
Thank you. I asked because I will be moving my audio system from a 17' wide and 13' deep room to one that is 15' wide but 20' deep. Had a chance to go to Capital Audio Fest last year and only heard very few systems that sounded "right". Planer Magnetic, Ribbon and Line Source speakers are not something I've had much time and experience hearing.

The other thing I realized from the show is just how much soundstage depth adds to the realism of (acoustic) recordings and wanted to explore other technologies besides point source speakers.

The GT Audio Works were the closest to the Alsyvox in design at the show I guess but with the Pass Labs, in that room, it did not sound good too me, especially at high volumes. It was dynamic but felt "forced" and "artificial". The VR11's were certainly impressive but the imaging was just not of realistic size to me for vocals and instruments in smallish bands/ensembles. Many instruments felt exaggerated I guess is the best way to describe it. I have heard Maggies but the big ones tend to blow up the size of singers.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I always felt attracted from Wisdom Audio,i never saw and listened,but found strange in 6 years in this forum no one spoke about Wisdom,owned or listened

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I always felt attracted from Wisdom Audio,i never saw and listened,but found strange in 6 years in this forum no one spoke about Wisdom,owned or listened
I am an owner and a listener - and I highly biased one at that.

There is a (short) thread on WBF on Wisdom Audio. WBF is primarily well attended by 2 channel audio enthusiasts, and, for the most part (but not exclusively) Wisdom speakers are used in multi--channel music systems and home theaters. Few of their products are meant to be installed "in-room" and thus, 2 channel purist/aficionados would not have much interest. I will say that the Wisdom LS3's and LS4's (and a couple of other Wisdom speakers) both come (I believe) as in-room options and they do some things that no other speaker I have ever heard does. The drivers in the Ls3/LS4 are all PMDs (Planar Magnetic Drivers), that are configured in a true Line Source but instead of me typing all of the pertinent information, HERE is a link which describes the PMD technology. HERE is a link to a description and advantage of true Line Source speakers.

And HERE is the link to the short WBF Wisdom Audio thread, if interested.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing