• Yes

Votes: 132 71.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 28.3%

• Total voters

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Where is the value of system videos discussed? I’m curious because I have yet to watch one that has any useful information. I suppose it is possible that using high quality cameras and microphones one might get an inkling about sound even with YouTube’s 128k or 256k sound, but the typical phone recording is absolutely meaningless re: sound quality (IME and IMO)

Here are just two places where the value of system videos is discussed. Found through just a simple search here on WBF:

1. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...references-used-to-judge-their-quality.31232/

2. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...re-after-vyda-cables.32220/page-2#post-698229

Some people here clearly find some value in videos. Others do not. Some people ask members to please post videos of system changes, presumably, to supplement written information in the tread. It is also extensively discussed on my former system thread, Sublime Sound, usually after I post videos. The point is, that it is a topic which is openly discussed by its critics and supporters, and certainly not a taboo subject. The critics are extremely vocal, as you demonstrate above.

If you are interested, you could even open a new thread expressing your own opinions on the topic and asking for responses to them. I do not think this topic has much to do with the original post or or this thread topic, however.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No, I was just curious. Somehow I missed those topics when they were current, but must admit that I might have skipped over them unconsciously. The fact that some people take these seriously only reinforces some of my biases and opinions.

Reactions: microstrip

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Here are just two places where the value of system videos is discussed. Found through just a simple search here on WBF:

1. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...references-used-to-judge-their-quality.31232/

2. https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...re-after-vyda-cables.32220/page-2#post-698229

Some people here clearly find some value in videos. Others do not. Some people ask members to please post videos of system changes, presumably, to supplement written information in the tread. It is also extensively discussed on my former system thread, Sublime Sound, usually after I post videos. The point is, that it is a topic which is openly discussed by its critics and supporters, and certainly not a taboo subject. The critics are extremely vocal, as you demonstrate above.

If you are interested, you could even open a new thread expressing your own opinions on the topic and asking for responses to them. I do not think this topic has much to do with the original post or or this thread topic, however.

Yes, the videos have been discussed several times - unfortunately most of the times very superficially.

As long as they are not directly involved in facts and opinions about gear or subjects I am interested I simply ignore them. Unfortunately, when we insist on comparing apples with oranges, bias must win.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Did you donate your compact discs to the Salvation Army or use them for target practice, or do you still have them on your shelf?

What are the advantages, if any, of playing compact discs, rather than streaming the exact same title and recording through a streamer + DAC?

If you still have and play compact discs, what CD transport do you use?
I still do, playing on a Gryphon Scorpio CD player, my current streaming device (Chord Chordette) is some steps below in terms of resolution, dynamics and tonal purity compared with the former.

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
My CD player is still my prinary source as well (Chord Blu, dual mono SPdif outputs). I have not yet found any better source (analogue or digital). Maybe the new Hugo M Upscaler with a better transport (Esotheric etc.)
Lampie519,

You might wish to consider listening to the Taiko Extreme server. It might change your mind about the best source. It changed mine.

Reactions: Lampie519

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
Thanks !

It has also an extreme price tag...

usually i do not consider this high priced gear even if it can be an improvement.

I did not hear it so i can not and will not give any judgment on if it is worth it.

For me "What's best" is not equal to what is most expensive.

So my next step still will be the M Scaler as here i can use different kinds of digital sources (transports and streamers etc).

Plus it is a good match to my D/A converter (2 mono SPDIF for best result) as i consider this DAC as absolute reference even if it still in progress (prototyping).

Attachments

• Dac1.png
    Dac1.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 14
  • XQPK6919.JPG
    XQPK6919.JPG
    305.3 KB · Views: 14

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
I have 1,300 CDs and continue to purchase them, they have only gotten better over the years as technology improved and understanding of its use. No different than analog technology between the 1930s compared to how that medium sounded 25 years later, night and day better. I grew up on vinyl but no going back. CD sales are still outselling vinyl in net sales, vinyl makes more income in dollars and it should cost 2-3 times as much as a CD nowadays. If you want the real sound of an older vinyl recording then look for a resale copy, newer ones are remixed, re-used, they lost something in that process, but if you like them well buy them also. Streaming now is in the billions in sales, far outselling Vinyl and CD combined, my kids find no use for either format, they say how can you just sit and listen to music, they are on the go so portable music is what they enjoy, and a good set of earbuds, different ERA for sure, boomers are the heart and soul of this hobby and when we go it's over.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
CD's for me are my primary music source. This because i trust them. 16bit no more no less (more then enough).
All other is just a number given on a file. Even when i purchase new music i always ask for a CD (and get a HQ version as a file as extra).

I think that there will be a new generation of audiophiles in the future but WE need to educate them. Producing insanely priced product does not help here as it only gives an impression that quality is Bling like a phones with diamonds and still have @#$&! sound !

I started beeing an audiophile because it was "reachable" with some effort. If you start now you have no idea where to start.

I sometimes go to a audio store (yes i do) but get frustrated when i hear the sales persons open their mouth's... What BS i hear sometimes, but at that moment i can not do anything not to bring that person in discredit...

So it is up to us, not only to show-off, but to educate...

Wow, what a speach....

Sorry , i let myself go...time for an other beer...

Reactions: Wahnamhong

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
My ONE audio store is a waste of time going, it only about getting the sale, no real knowledge of gear nor setup. I wanted to hear 2 speakers both $15,000 and up, he brings me a chair grabs the speakers move them out into the room, toes them in, and walks away, no sidewalls to be found, so I am sitting there listening to the worst sound due to lack of care in sitting the speakers up, I asked to hear the Focal he hits a switch and they turn on, they sounded as bad, I shook my head and thought dam, this fool wants someone to drop $15,000 and up for sound this bad, and lack of any real care, he could care less unless I said I'll but them. The store has been around a while under new management etc, its the pits now and they carry good gear but why would anyone want to buy from them they offered nothing, might as well research yourself then buy online. Nothing like Audio stores were in the '60s, '70s and 80's even early 90's. They all had really experienced and knowledgeable salespeople who were their year over year and really could guide you and you wanted to buy for them due to their care and time taken to make sure the system fits your ear and needs. Days have gone by.

Lampie519

Mar 14, 2021
Hoofddorp, Holland
We should start a seperate thread on this, Not to criticise but to reflect.

Sales persons are consumers themself and should know how a customer would like to be treated.

The gear at hand is not always an issue if you know how to make good combinations and make them shine with some little additional effort.

Tinear1

Aug 24, 2019
I answered no but upon reflection, I di have 350+ CDs uploaded on my Zen-Mini-Mk3 so I guess I do... however I did sell my CD player since the Zen sounds soooo good.

kende

Apr 21, 2020
Brampton, on Canada
Did you donate your compact discs to the Salvation Army or use them for target practice, or do you still have them on your shelf?

What are the advantages, if any, of playing compact discs, rather than streaming the exact same title and recording through a streamer + DAC?

If you still have and play compact discs, what CD transport do you use?
Hello
Yes, still using cd's , and cd player. Sony 333ESD ,Tda1541 chip modified NOS (not oversampling) and tube output 6 N2P-ev .
Best Cd player I ever had. I had a few good Cd players.
Regards.

Attachments

• Sony 333 cdp upgrd 5.jpg
    Sony 333 cdp upgrd 5.jpg
    786.6 KB · Views: 21
  • Sony 333 cdp Upgr 3.jpg
    Sony 333 cdp Upgr 3.jpg
    578.6 KB · Views: 22

Vahe Sahakian

Mar 9, 2018
Yes, still using CD's and SACD's.
I am also worried about the ever increasing shipping costs of physical media, it is almost $8.00 per disc at Presto and is going up every time I check their prices, this in my opinion has the potential to wipe out CD sales.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Something has happened to postal services and charges as a result of the pandemic. Any chance to make a profit from a crisis.

Reactions: Mikem53

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
Still buying CDs to ass to my vast collection. I can find no reason not to. I owned vinyl most of my life, but find no reason to go back and what just to rebuy what I already own? Waste of money and time. Steaming is the future no doubt, but I have no interest in that either, I enjoy my system and the music I own so to stay in the pack and follow trends never was a need for me. I enjoyed tube when SS was in, now I own SS and enjoy it and perhaps a Class D amp because of their sound quality today, not 10 years ago. My CD collection goes from the 1930 recordings to the present-day and many CDs will never be on vinyl or streaming because they are not ones the masses will buy so the companies would find no reason to release them. The one thing CD's did back when they came out was give a reason for record companies to release back catalog albums that no longer had much interest or sales, due to their time being well passed and those who wanted them had already purchased them. It was an eye-opener when I thrumb through the rows of CDs and saw recordings I had not seen in the binds for years and years. I own stuff that I never thought I could thanks for the release on CD.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Lampie519,

You might wish to consider listening to the Taiko Extreme server. It might change your mind about the best source. It changed mine.
And the MSRP of that piece of gear is?

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Hello
Yes, still using cd's , and cd player. Sony 333ESD ,Tda1541 chip modified NOS (not oversampling) and tube output 6 N2P-ev .
Best Cd player I ever had. I had a few good Cd players.
Regards.
Love the Sony tube output CD player.I wonder how you converted it.

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Been binge buying pre-owned CDs from ebay and discogs for the last 3 months.
Mostly SACDs that previously slipped through my net, 1st pressing CDs and promo CD singles.

Some interesting comparisons:

the same song, a duet between Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston, released by both artistes, by their respective labels.

Missy Carey would surely have a fit if she ever found out how much sucking worst hers sounds compared to Whitney's.....

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I missed out on this artiste that many years ago.
I only came to know of this song when I heard "Stan".
It is very difficult to track down the first pressing CD buying online.
You can never be sure.
The best way is buying a promo CD copy.
or even better, buy just the promo CD single.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing