Do You Still Play Compact Discs?

• Yes

Votes: 132 71.7%
  • No

Votes: 52 28.3%

• Total voters

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
I couldn't find promo CD single version of Heart's "All I wanna do is to make love to you"
But I did came across promo version of the whole album

The CD sounds so analogue like, so rich and warm.

Last edited:

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
This promo CD sounds so much better than the commercial release...

Reactions: Addicted to hifi

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
But, promo CDs dun always win....

Some cases I prefer the commercial first pressings.

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
Been binge buying pre-owned CDs from ebay and discogs for the last 3 months.
Mostly SACDs that previously slipped through my net, 1st pressing CDs and promo CD singles.

Some interesting comparisons:

the same song, a duet between Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston, released by both artistes, by their respective labels.

Missy Carey would surely have a fit if she ever found out how much sucking worst hers sounds compared to Whitney's.....

Great stuff.lots of bargains these days on used cds.I do the same all the time.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
My priorities are album first, cd if unavailable in vinyl and the occasional download which is my very last option.

not much music of my choice available via streaming etc so this is not something in my current or future plans

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
My priorities are album first, cd if unavailable in vinyl and the occasional download which is my very last option.

not much music of my choice available via streaming etc so this is not something in my current or future plans
I am with you.I have everything on lp,cd or sacd And don’t stream at all.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

The return of the CD?​

;)

• Haha
Reactions: XV-1

Phillyb

May 31, 2012
My dealer played a streamed music track for me to compare to my CD version, his goal was to get me into a streaming system. I gave them a listen, then told him to put my CD on now with my own player the Marantz SA-10S1, it took me 20 seconds to know the CD sounded better, the salesman a bit longer for him to come around due of course to them pushing Servers and DAC's. My experience is in vinyl, I grew up with viny and collected them from age 8, but I no longer feel the need to play vinyl, I have over 1,500 CDs and counting. I know most follow trends, and it is modern to stream, use your phone or tablet, and just pick a recording to play. But after what I heard on a system 100K that cost much more than the SA-10, I was not at all impressed to where I ditched buying CDs or start over buying Vinyl over again of the same recordings I already own, why would I do that, that be a waste of money and boy the cost 4-5X the cost of each recording, and many I could never replace because they never are rereleased in any format due to lack of sales.

Last edited:

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
My dealer played a streamed music track for me to compare to my CD version, his goal was to get me into a streaming system. I gave them a listen, then told him to put my CD on now with my own player the Marantz SA-10S1, it took me 20 seconds to know the CD sounded better, the salesman a bit longer for him to come around due of course to them pushing Servers and DAC's. My experience is vinyl, I grew up with vinyl, I no longer feel the need to play vinyl, I have 1,500 CDs and counting. I know most follow trends, and it is modern to stream, use your phone or tablet, and just pick a recording to play. But after what I hard on a system that cost more than the SA-10, I was not at all impressed to where I ditched buying CDs or start over buying Vinyl of the same recordings I already own, why would I do that, that be a waste of money and boy the cost, and many I could never replace.

I have commented on the first thread page about my approach. Just recently I had another interesting experience in a friend's system. I brought over my Empirical Audio reclocker (for details, see my signature) that I use to reduce jitter after my CD transport and leading into the DAC, and we compared with his streaming.

No contest. Better timbre, more subtle information, more believability. For vinylistas, more analog if you will. You didn't have to go back and forth to compare in order to be certain, it was glaringly obvious to both of us. The CD transport alone did things better, but with the reclocker the streaming was left in the dust.

I know that streaming can be very good, but it wasn't that day. And it often isn't. It is rare when I hear convincing streaming. To me the solutions are either way too cumbersome or way too expensive. On my stereo, I stick with physical CD.

Some of my friends call me old fashioned for not "going with the times" regarding streaming. I don't care. I made the choice that is best for me, and I am super happy about it. Proud of it, actually. They are proud of theirs, it's their choice.

Last edited:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
I have an extensive collection on CDs, XRCD, XRCD2, XRCD24 and other XRCD formats like K2HD and Ultra32 FIM plus even more SACDs.

I've also picked up many SHM CDs, SHM SACDs over the last few years plus a few of the new Bluspec2 discs from Japan.

I only spin discs and will continue to do only that.

Last edited:

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Me too. Only do discs and vinyl.
And I have never owned a separate DAC and transport because I have not encountered any that made me want to move on from my fully tweaked out Modwright modified Marantz SA8005 sacd player (and the earlier Modwright modified Sony players - I've owned them all) with tube analogue output stage and separate tube rectified power supply. I have heard DAC/transport combos that were more resolving than my modified Modwright players but on balance none that matched their musicality. Similarly the Marantz SA-10 super player is more resolving but to my ears sounds sterile/clinical compared to the Modwright SA8005. From my perspective I'm in the sweet spot. What I have yet to hear is the PS Audio Perfectwave SACD transport with a great tube DAC.

Last edited:

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
If the question is simply play cd yes I do
now the real question that should be asked is why ?

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
A CD player has a sound it was voiced on
so if you rip the cd you no longer hear it as from a CD player
so for anyone who has spent big bucks on servers and dacs think about this hard.
Even if you use an outboard dac you may get an improvement over the CD player alone
it seems the transport section alone has a sound
lens and digital converter used from Lenz to its internal or buffer for an ou out to external dac. It still has a sound not what a steamer does.
To me it’s more powerful has more dynamics
but it also can have more grunge too. an ext dac helps sometimes
it seams a server to a dac is more refined more detailed in micro and macro this might be why it’s a bit softer
less visceral over all.
my goal is to make a server amd dAC have a cd sound in some ways.

Every time I hear an esoteric CD player
stack to me it’s beyond a server dAC stand alone
even if it uses your own dac there magic or some of it is there.
am I alone in this thought ?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
A CD player has a sound it was voiced on
so if you rip the cd you no longer hear it as from a CD player
so for anyone who has spent big bucks on servers and dacs think about this hard.

I don't know. My reclocker, which lowers the jitter of my CD transport, also lowers the jitter-associated sound signature.

if you use an outboard dac you may get an improvement over the CD player alone
it seems the transport section alone has a sound
lens and digital converter used from Lenz to its internal or buffer for an ou out to external dac. It still has a sound not what a steamer does.

I have found that any streamer has a sound, with sounds varying from dark, heavy and even dull, to light and airy. Two friends of mine once compared their servers in the same system and were shocked at how different they sounded.

To me it’s more powerful has more dynamics
but it also can have more grunge too. an ext dac helps sometimes
it seams a server to a dac is more refined more detailed in micro and macro this might be why it’s a bit softer
less visceral over all.

I have not found a server to be intrinsically more refined and detailed. I did hear once in a friend's system a high res file that seemed to have more recorded space and slightly more detail than my already highly detailed CD at home, but the difference in detail could also be ascribed to slight differences in tonal balance (which can always play tricks on you; my balance is slightly warmer) and the difference in space to his better room.

Some high res files clearly sound much worse than the Redbook CD file (observed on the same servers/streamers). Mastering seems much more important than format. Unless, of course, you get into compressed formats like MP3 or AAC.

Every time I hear an esoteric CD player
stack to me it’s beyond a server dAC stand alone
even if it uses your own dac there magic or some of it is there.
am I alone in this thought ?

My CD playback with separate DAC certainly serves me well. I love my R2R DAC.

Last edited:
Reactions: K3RMIT

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
Ty for replying I can agree with most you posted
many given server has a sound and the player used makes it more complex
so is your reclocker spidf ?
Coaxial spidif is prown to jitter but if the right cable is used it’s much better
hi Rez can sound worse in some ways but not always
a I can see some cd transports being more or less detailed as a powerful sound effecting it.

Michael Davitt

VIP/Donor
Nov 3, 2020
Still playing the silver discs with a real player ~ McIntosh MVP 861 Universal Disc Player (SACD) sometimes through an out board DAC
which is whatever is on loan, as I have not decided which is a worthy trade for my coin .:eek: I don't mix the playing of vinyl with digital formats for reasons depending mostly on my level of energy and receptibility to oscillating amplitude. I refer to the quality of oscillation according to a rule more or less close to harmonic and sometimes even in references to oscillations which are far from harmonic. (CDs)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing