Do you use cables to 'tune' the sonics of your system?

Do you use cables to 'tune' the sonics of your system?

• Total voters
I never heard that Jack built MIT cables. Where did you get that from?

Also, Karen marketed MIT, didn't build them. She also marketed the WTT and a Swedish speaker called Respons at that time too. Then she left MIT and started Transparent Cables.

I might also add that Karen, Jack and Carl are three of the nicest people you'd want to meet in the industry. And their custom designed listening room up in Maine is worth a visit! Especially if you're a Wilson owner :)

Check the section entitled => NETWORK THEOREM from this link:
http://www.transparentcable.com/news/files/reviews/ref_wesphillips_stereophile.html

But do read the entire article; it is interesting. :b

Also: http://www.avguide.com/blog/robert-harley-visits-transparent-audio-and-discovers-210-miracle-upgrade

Plus, there is an extensive article and interview of Jack and Karen Sumner by Gary Reber in Widescreen Review (the mag), from few years back (about twelve pages long or more) on Transparent Audio and of all their speaker cables & interconnects, and in the Wilson room.
And I mean that; quite extensive article with all their stuff, from their Low-end (few thousands of dollars) to their Ultra high-end stuff (several thousands of dollars for just a simple pair of interconnects)! ...And some pair of speaker wires in the 5 digits figure!

MIT & Transparent both use a network box to 'embellish' the sound, from their speaker cables and interconnects.

Overpriced? Pizzaz stuff? You'll be your own judge of that.
...Just like so many other high-end companies .... Do you want names?
Nah, you probably know as much as I do. :b

Last edited:
Did you mean Cardas? He didn't say MIT was dark and it's certainly not dark in my system :)

Hi Myles,
no I meant MIT because I misread. Thank you Myles! Apologies to Ack! And, yes: I love my MITs :D

Check the section entitled => NETWORK THEOREM from this link:
http://www.transparentcable.com/news/files/reviews/ref_wesphillips_stereophile.html

But do read the entire article; it is interesting. :b

Also: http://www.avguide.com/blog/robert-harley-visits-transparent-audio-and-discovers-210-miracle-upgrade

Plus, there is an extensive article and interview of Jack and Karen Sumner by Gary Reber in Widescreen Review (the mag), from few years back (about twelve pages long or more) on Transparent Audio and of all their speaker cables & interconnects, and in the Wilson room.
And I mean that; quite extensive article with all their stuff, from their Low-end (few thousands of dollars) to their Ultra high-end stuff (several thousands of dollars for just a simple pair of interconnects)! ...And some pair of speaker wires in the 5 digits figure!

MIT & Transparent both use a network box to 'embellish' the sound, from their speaker cables and interconnects.

Overpriced? Pizzaz stuff? You'll be your own judge of that.
...Just like so many other high-end companies .... Do you want names?
Nah, you probably know as much as I do. :b

What do you mean embellish the sound? Have you heard the MIT or Transparent cables? If so, then tell me how they embellish the sound.

---Myles, that's why I put the word 'embellish' between brackets. ...As in 'nuance'. :b

* The audio signal has to pass into a 'circuit' network box on top of a straight wire.
Now tell me that it does not have any influence on the sound whatsoever.

Simply pure logical science Myles.

Besides, did I say good, or bad?

=> 'Enhancing' the performance.

Last edited:
---Myles, that's why I put the word 'embellish' between brackets. ...As in 'nuance'. :b

* The audio signal has to pass into a 'circuit' network box on top of a straight wire.
Now tell me that it does not have any influence on the sound whatsoever.

Simply pure logical science Myles.

Besides, did I say good, or bad?

=> 'Enhancing' the performance.
Tell me it has any more effect than running wires between components.

What cable doesn't affect the sound???? But when you say embellish, you are talking about adding and exaggerating some component of the music. So what do you hear that MIT or Transparent networked cables do wrong in comparison to non-networked cables.

I have not heard in my system a more transparent cable --and I mean being able to literally touch the walls of the hall--than the MIT cables. MIT also excels at reproducing the bottom octaves (like no other that I've heard) as well as harmonic resolution and an extraordinary sense of space. If the boxes were screwing up and obscuring the sound, do you think that would happen?

Now that doesn't mean non-networked cables can't compete as I also have Kubala-Sosna as well as Transparent lying around. But non-networked cables also have some egregious deviations from neutrality too.

---Myles, I believe we are at the labyrinth (threshold) of a complex and hypothetical discussion,
with severely deep emotional vibrations.

My practical experience with cables are of no real importance. And I don't have any with MIT & Transparent.
But my readings are various, and my opinions solid and diversified with flexibility at the same time.

Are MIT & Transparent cables good at fine-tuning the sound from your/our speakers?
That's the question, I think.

---Myles, I believe we are at the labyrinth (threshold) of a complex and hypothetical discussion,
with severely deep emotional vibrations.

My practical experience with cables are of no real importance. And I don't have any with MIT & Transparent.
But my readings are various, and my opinions solid and diversified with flexibility at the same time.

Are MIT & Transparent cables good at fine-tuning the sound from your speakers? That's the question, I think.

I tend to think they [cables] add less of their own character and allow more/obsure less of the quality of the front-end and components.

And interestingly, I find cables are a little closer sounding (as well as components) when electrical issues are dealt with.

I tend to think they [cables] add less of their own character and allow more/obsure less of the quality of the front-end and components.

Most, if not all (smart) people go with that line of thought.

And interestingly, I find cables are a little closer sounding (as well as components) when electrical issues are dealt with.

That is exactly what I already read from your previous posts.

Myles,

Are you aware of any chart re: MIT cables that shows the true hierarchy of models in terms of quality, taking into account some of the cross-naming, legacy and AVT models? It's a maze trying to determine what generation you're in and how various models compare. For example, where would a Shotgun MA fit in the hierarchy relative to (e.g.) an AVT MA or a Magnum M1. How does one have ANY idea what they're really getting?

--Bill

The box on my cable is not as nice as those gold boxes but at least i could afford them, this was not the case in the 90s but picked up a pair at a very reasonable price lately and they replaced another boxed speaker cable MIT Shotgun S3, i am satisfied of how they sound in my system yes i did say how they SOUND because there is no such thing as a neutral cable, they all have a sound it's up to you to decide if you like or dislike that sound.

PS: A neutral cable does not exist, they ALL have their own FLAVOR like it or not.

Tara Labs Temporal Continuum.

TaraLabsTemporalContinuumSpeakerCables.jpg

Last edited:
It is just the way it is. I run Tara Labs Gold IC's , most musical sounding cable I have found that sounds great in my system. Tara's do have there own house sound, like them anyway.

If cables are being used to "tune a system" because none of the components or cables are completely neutral, why is it that everybody seems to lust for the most expensive cable made by WireWorld, MIT, Nordost? If it is being used to tune the system, why doesn't a middle or lower priced cable sometimes do a better job? It seems impossible that every system needs the exact same most expensive cable to tune it. You never hear someone say, "I traded my Wireworld Platinum Eclipse for a Luna 6, and now the system sounds better than it ever did before? How can the most expensive cable be the best to tune everyone's system????????

If cables are being used to "tune a system" because none of the components or cables are completely neutral, why is it that everybody seems to lust for the most expensive cable made by WireWorld, MIT, Nordost? If it is being used to tune the system, why doesn't a middle or lower priced cable sometimes do a better job? You never hear someone say, "I traded my Wireworld Platinum Eclipse for a Luna 6, and now the system sounds better than it ever did before? How can the most expensive cable be the best to tune everyone's system????????

No one says that because they need to sell the expensive cables to the next guy. They might also be branded as a heretic.:p

There is not such thing as the best cable in the world. There are cables that sound good in your system and cables that do not match with it.

Quite right, at least as a preliminary assessment.

The ability to know quality when you see it is often compared with the ability to pay for it. This is a paid for truth, a rouse.

The Quality of the choice making process, is however for the most part a continual fight between the advertising powers, and the buying powers.
The consumer really has no one on their side. You learn, study your available choices, then you must be a betting man...

Because, as you pointed out, there really is no such thing as the very best.
But there might be such a thing as the very best choice, for the betting man..

--

The betting man is a seeker of knowledge, a discerner of those in knowledge, and still he has the balls to take a chance, when his heart says: Go for it...

Imperial

Last edited:
Reactions: The Knife
I use cables to get closer to the sound I am looking for out of my system. I choose cables are no differently than I do any other piece of gear, does it get me closer to what I want to hear.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing