Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Digital level.

I guess I will have to get a digital level. Steve - which one do you use? Is there a consensus as to which digital level is the most accurate?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
. . .

Lastly I will say that the highs were not fatiguing at all, the titanium inverted dome that I've disliked in the past on systems was clear and musical. . . .

I agree completely. I have found every system I have ever heard with a Wilson Audio speaker with the metal dome tweeter to sound slightly bright and fatiguing. (The Alexia and the XLF -- and especially the XLF -- are the first Wilson Audio speakers I could live with happily.)

But, somehow, Steve has tamed that metal dome tweeter. I attribute most of the taming to the all-Lamm electronics, and some to Steve's acoustically-controlled room. With Steve's system I forget all about my Wilson metal dome tweeter issue.

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
I agree completely. I have found every system I have ever heard with a Wilson Audio speaker with the metal dome tweeter to sound slightly bright and fatiguing. (The Alexia and the XLF -- and especially the XLF -- are the first Wilson Audio speakers I could live with happily.)

But, somehow, Steve has tamed that metal dome tweeter. I attribute most of the taming to the all-Lamm electronics, and some to Steve's acoustically-controlled room. With Steve's system I forget all about my Wilson metal dome tweeter issue.

Excellent point regarding the acoustic treatment of the room. Steve's is easily the most treated room in terms of reflections that I've ever heard.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Ron, no doubt the Lamm's are very contributory to extracting great sound from the Focal tweeter (or any speaker, really). I had similar reservations about the tweeter over the years as well, but I now think that anyone who has experienced one of the big Wilson's with less than ideal set-up will be quick to blame the tweeter when in fact set-up can be the culprit. Steve's exacting alignment is one of the reasons his sound is terrific, although admittedly, because I am taller than Steve, I have to scrunch down about an inch in his chair to really hear what he hears. The sound is very good where I sit normally, but it becomes a bit more seamless and a more convincing disappearing act when I move a bit lower in the listening chair.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The sound is very good where I sit normally, but it becomes a bit more seamless and a more convincing disappearing act when I move a bit lower in the listening chair. Unfortunately, for many great systems, one size does not necessarily fit all.

It is a very strong point of the XLF's for me - we can walk in most of the room and the sound stays seamless. A good friend was here during the weekend and was astonished he could not feel the speakers - the room learned from the SoundLab's as he said!

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Sorry, but did you say you bought, used, and then returned a $65 item?

Good grief.

Nowhere near as bad as women who buy an outfit that may run $thousands, wear it to a function or two, then return it!

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Guess you need every penny for those Masterbuilts! :D

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Actually it was a $35 level and yes I returned it. Does that still earn me a "good grief?"

Oh, I'd find some amusement if I could tell the person at the counter what the gear costs that you used it on, and felt the need to return it... They'd give you a "good grief" of some kind, but probably not to your face.

I just think it's odd you wouldn't want to have it handy.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Technically, you could always tell the cashier the device was off by 0.1 degrees :)

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Oh, I'd find some amusement if I could tell the person at the counter what the gear costs that you used it on, and felt the need to return it... They'd give you a "good grief" of some kind, but probably not to your face.

I just think it's odd you wouldn't want to have it handy.

To be honest I was going to tell them the truth. I went to the counter with my receipt. Clerk said hi, took and scanned the receipt and smiled. Total use on the level was under 10 minutes and all packing material was there when I returned it unmarked. I asked if there was a restocking charge (which I was prepared to pay) and I was told "no"

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
I just looked at the pix of the racks/stands in your room. Wonderful. Big step up from what you had in Danville. Hope they give you tremendous joy.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I had the good fortune of recently purchasing a member's complete vinyl collection which arrived last week. I have spent the past 7 days cleaning all of the records which date back from the early 60's to the late 80's. What I found interesting was when the digital age descended upon hobbyists there was a resurgence in "digitally" remastering prior analog recordings and then rebadging them as collector's items where we could hear into the recording without extraneous noise.

I listened to this one last night.

IMG_5182.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
You have a dbx decoder???? My two or three dbx LPs sound like *t without it, not that they sound very good with it, either. I have a dbx 224 in another system.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing