Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just a brief update since I have retubed my amps.

After brief talk with Vladimir as well as ddk about my impressions with a new pair of copper plated GM-70 tubes and stating that it was tantamount to listening to a new pair of amplifiers as there was so much more audible detail.

Having said that both Vlad and David suggested that if I wanted an even bigger "pop" in the sound it was recommended that I change the pair of rectifier tubes in each power supply of my LL1 preamp. I was eager to try this as Vlad stated that the 6x4 tubes are very reliable tubes but sonically begin to degrade after 4-5 years of use

So I bought two pair of 6x4 tubes.

My first impression was the price of each tube. I was prepared for the worst but I was stunned to discover that each tube was a roaring $17 each. That was painless

Well what I heard now was the same system but seemingly on steroids as the amount of soundstage and the detail within the soundstage was enormous. I am a happy camper.

Thank you David and Vladimir. Now if there is a way to get those copper plated GM-70's at a fraction of the existing price life will be good :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I had a fun day visiting Steve again today. I think I last visited about a year ago, before Steve installed the Masterbuilt Ultra cables, and before he got involved with the CenterStage footers.

It’s impossible to remember anything very specific accurately from a year ago, of course, but I can give you a couple of impressions which I’m confident are correct.

1) After listening to Steve’s system today for several hours I can tell you that it would never occur to me to suggest that Steve consider adding a subwoofer. I am perplexed why I ever liked the subwoofers in this system in the first place.

Steve had great JL Audio subwoofers, but they are actually not necessary in his system. Furthermore I hear all the low frequency response and extension I typically hear in state-of-the-art systems, but the low-frequency clarity and resolution seems higher than what I’ve heard in Steve’s listening room before.

Focusing on the drums in Jennifer Warnes’ "Bird on a Wire" on Famous Blue Raincoat there is all the bass extension and oomph you could want. I am baffled that I ever felt that subwoofers were useful in this system.

2) I don’t know whether it’s the CenterStage footers or the Masterbuilt cables or a combination thereof but I feel that I have never heard Steve’s system sounding as clear as I heard it today. I don’t mean anything fancier than clear. I mean clear.

There is greater articulation and clarity in vocals and a greater sense of resolution and clarity from the midrange on down than I remember. If I were talking about photography I would say that Steve's camera is now using finer grain film, or a better quality lens. Now I can see the detail of the wings on the wasp, whereas before I could make out only the wings themselves. The sound now is more transparent and more present and clear. I don’t know how else to put it.

3) A year ago (the last time I visited Steve before today) I told Steve that I thought the system was sounding fantastic, and that he should put his pencil down and stop tweaking and just enjoy the system, as is, for the rest of his life. I was wrong. He has managed to improve the system in material ways in this last year with his recent component additions. Bravo, Steve!!!

Thank you, Steve, for another wonderful afternoon!

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I had a fun day visiting Steve again today. I think I last visited about a year ago, before Steve installed the Masterbuilt Ultra cables, and before he got involved with the CenterStage footers.

It’s impossible to remember anything very specific accurately from a year ago, of course, but I can give you a couple of impressions which I’m confident are correct.

1) After listening to Steve’s system today for several hours I can tell you that it would never occur to me to suggest that Steve consider adding a subwoofer. I am perplexed why I ever liked the subwoofers in this system in the first place.

Steve had great JL Audio subwoofers, but they are actually not necessary in his system. Furthermore I hear all the low frequency response and extension I typically hear in state-of-the-art systems, but the low-frequency clarity and resolution seems higher than what I’ve heard in Steve’s listening room before.

Focusing on the drums in Jennifer Warnes’ "Bird on a Wire" on Famous Blue Raincoat there is all the bass extension and oomph you could want. I am baffled that I ever felt that subwoofers were useful in this system.

2) I don’t know whether it’s the CenterStage footers or the Masterbuilt cables or a combination thereof but I feel that I have never heard Steve’s system sounding as clear as I heard it today. I don’t mean anything fancier than clear. I mean clear.

There is greater articulation and clarity in vocals and a greater sense of resolution and clarity from the midrange on down than I remember. If I were talking about photography I would say that Steve's camera is now using finer grain film, or a better quality lens. Now I can see the detail of the wings on the wasp, whereas before I could make out only the wings themselves. The sound now is more transparent and more present and clear. I don’t know how else to put it.

3) A year ago (the last time I visited Steve before today) I told Steve that I thought the system was sounding fantastic, and that he should put his pencil down and stop tweaking and just enjoy the system, as is, for the rest of his life. I was wrong. He has managed to improve the system in material ways in this last year with his recent component additions. Bravo, Steve!!!

Thank you, Steve, for another wonderful afternoon!

It is always a joy for me reading how one’s system clarity and realism improve. At one point the air of the recording venue and the air of listening room will blend and fused together. Really happy for Steve to have such incredible sounding system.

Kind regards,
Tang

Steve Williams

Hi Ron

A fun afternoon indeed especially with Leif finding time to join us for lunch and come back for a listen as well

As for the clarity that you heard there is no doubt in my mind that the Master Built Ultra contributes to the clarity that you heard. Having said that however the new version of the Center Stage Feet adds so much of the clarity that you heard People have been asking me the differences between the original version and now the version 2. IMHO the biggest differences was how remarkable the timbre, tone, decay, dynamics and clarity sounded. The biggest surprise however was what these new feet did to my mid bass and deep bass. They have locked in and are tight, articulate and the best bass that I have heard in my system with or without the JL Audio pair of F113's. As Ron said and as I have written here before the subs just became unnecessary in my room. Try as I might it was always difficult to get them to sound coherent with the deep bass coming from my speakers.

Further, in my system the biggest "pop" factor that I got with both the original version of the Center Stage feet but more so with version 2 was just how clear and well defined the deep and mid bass became

I have now had these feet in and out from under my system 7 times, the most recent being with the version 2. It is painful to do that A-B-A test and remove them from your system because of the profound collapse in the sound stage such that for me I just couldn't listen to my system for any extended length of time without the feet in the system.

I'm now about a week or two away from converting my house to solar energy and there have been comments from members that Solar energy on the roof has resulted in spurious sounds in their sound system attributed perhaps to EMI/RFI. One member also commented that there is coloration and distortion hear. Having said this , the majority of members who have PV have heard no ill adverse effects from their PV systems on their roofs. I am feeling confidant that with my install will come only great sound.

The thread pertinent to PV can be found here

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/show...-ve-gone-solar&p=527510&viewfull=1#post527510

Stay tuned for my comments on that

chopchopbin

Sep 27, 2015
Hi Steve,

What is the price difference between the original version fo the Center Stage feet and the version 2?

Thanks.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Steve thank you so much for the invite. It was a good lunch with those fish tacos and getting to chat with Ron and you. I think the last time I saw Ron was in Munich. It was exciting to hear about the changes taking place with the forum but even more exciting to see the passion in Ron and you about the forum:)

I have been very fortunate to have been able to hear Steve's system as it has progressed through many changes with cables, racks, tube changes, changes to the room treatment, hearing the system with subs and then without, and last but not least the Center Stage Footers version 1 and now with version 2 as well as the 1.5's. I think we are all sick lol. But I really wouldn't want to do anything else. I couldn't imagine life without music and the joy of truly getting lost into the experience.

It has been a blast each and every time I get to come over and listen to your system. Each time I've been there the system has excelled to an entirely new level which just doesn't seem possible but it is. Everything I read in Ron's write up is just spot on. Ron brought some great vinyl and really showed off the system. The tape you played really took it to the top. I don't see how you ever come out of the room lol.

Also, thank you for sending me home with some CSF 1.0's to try under my Constellation Audio gear. I'm on pins and needles for the next couple of weeks anticipating results just like my other electronics on the CSF's.
20180902_103531.jpg

20180902_103559.jpg

For those of you who haven't tried these footers, I can't stress enough how much I recommend them. They truly are remarkable and what they did to my relatively inexpensive system is simply jaw dropping for me and I can't go back.

Attachments

• 20180902_103531.jpg
    20180902_103531.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Steve Williams

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Steve, somehow I am not surprised on your comment regarding the E5 bass. I recently acquired a pair of E3s. The first virtue I noticed was the bass quantity and quality. I really enjoy listening to male basso singers through the E3s.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve, somehow I am not surprised on your comment regarding the E5 bass. I recently acquired a pair of E3s. The first virtue I noticed was the bass quantity and quality. I really enjoy listening to male basso singers through the E3s.

They sounded really, really good with your E.A.R. combo mullard. Wonderful.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you Jack.

The E3s are still breaking in.

I have removed the EARs. The system is now Bryston CD player, Spectral line stage, and Hegel power amp. All power cords are MasterBuilt Performance and all interconnects are Gotham. Speaker cables are MasterBuilt Signature to match the E3’s internal wires.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Thank you Jack.

I have removed the EARs. The system is now Bryston CD player, Spectral line stage, and Hegel power amp. All power cords are MasterBuilt Performance and all interconnects are Gotham. Speaker cables are MasterBuilt Signature to match the E3’s internal wires.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Thank you Jack.

Oh I want to hear that lol

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing