Doctor's Orders-Part Two-The New Listening Room Of Steve Williams

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
that's the $64 question

Pretty certain that It will be mounted on the side of the TechDas so a 10" arm (either my existing Graham Phantom Elite OR an SME 3010)

I'll know in side by side testing with both arms next week (hopefully)
Excellent. I know that David has said that the 3010R is pretty close to the 3012R. It will be interesting to get your impressions.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Whats that?
In the picture Steve posted of the cartridge specs and description there is a typo or bad translation, surely the word was supposed to be “thinner“, not “sinner”.

Reactions: wisnon

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Initially I wanted t use an SME head shell and mount it on the 12" SME3012 at the rear of the table but the ZYX that is there is my reference which I really don't want to disturb by having to make changes to the arm settings when I change head shells so initially will set up on the Graham Phantom Elite to get initial impressions and then on the SME 3010 with an SME head shell ( y tendency is to go with the latter but in the end it's the sound that will determine where it goes

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Initially I wanted t use an SME head shell and mount it on the 12" SME3012 at the rear of the table but the ZYX that is there is my reference which I really don't want to disturb by having to make changes to the arm settings when I change head shells so initially will set up on the Graham Phantom Elite to get initial impressions and then on the SME 3010 with an SME head shell ( y tendency is to go with the latter but in the end it's the sound that will determine where it goes
The SME arm is really easy to dial in. I can change a cartridge in 5 minutes. You should learn how to do it so you can experiment.

Reactions: Steve Williams

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I can't wait to hear this cartridge in my system.

Thanks to Mike Lavigne and his thread on this cartridge which checked all of my boxes. I love the information on this forum from members' experiences and my aural curiosity was piqued thanks to Mike. After all, isn't this what it is all about

So Steve, was this a purchase made with no prior audition? Any one thing in particular that grabbed your attention? Several great cartridges available, and the Etsuro does not come cheap, so a sizable commitment...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Congrats steve .
I m sure its a great cart.
Looks to me your stuck with the current sytem lol , which i am sure sounds awesome.
No parting with the Ml 3 .
I read somewhere you were also interested in the chronosonic XVX but that would require the lamm hybrid.

Brg hj .

Last edited:

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
Do we need a preamplifier in the chain - with associated cost, shelf space, pair of interconnects and power cable - we don't, but if the user finds it useful or more attractive sounding - it is fine with me. Personally in such scenario I use DAC fully open. The series resistance is shorted then, and parallel resistance is a straight 10k to the ground.

Hi Lukasz,

Perhaps I'm missing something here.

If the DAC is "fully open" when using a preamp, what is the point of having a volume control on the DAC?

G

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
On my Accuphase the " volume " control involved output level. Thus the volume control is something different

adamaley

Apr 15, 2016
Minnetonka, MN
Before becoming a Lampi owner, I used to wonder why a Lampi thread always seemed to be at the top of the list of threads after doing a refresh of New posts. Needless to say, now I know. Welcome, Steve, to Lampiland.

Welcome to Lukasz as well. All the best for 2020.

Last edited:

Steve Williams

As you all know I made my last and final major purchase (Etsuro Urushi Gold MC cartridge) and have yet to have it installed as I have been waiting for an NOS SME 3010R as a possible arm for the cartridge.I have a 10" Graham Phantom Elite at present and want to compare it against the SME 3010.

I must admit that I am leaning towards the latter as I also have an SME 3012 arm as well and love it

I am happy to report that the arm arrives on Monday so stay tuned

heebrog

May 12, 2018
Perth, WA
Hi Steve,

I don't have any experience with R2R but is there ever an issue with "tape bleed"?
I ask because I was listening to a 2xHD Getz/Gilberto hires download and on some tracks this is audible.

G

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Hi Steve,

I don't have any experience with R2R but is there ever an issue with "tape bleed"?
I ask because I was listening to a 2xHD Getz/Gilberto hires download and on some tracks this is audible.

G
Yes there is and I have a lp that has bleed as well. While I think it’s from the master tape vinyl Guys say it’s also the vinyl too

Steve Williams

Yes there is and I have a lp that has bleed as well. While I think it’s from the master tape vinyl Guys say it’s also the vinyl too
I hear it also from time to time on some LP's

Reactions: Alrainbow

Steve Williams

People have been sending me messages asking about Ed's tapes, their sound quality, music etc so I thought I would try to offer some answers here.

First off what I consider the very best is the uncanny way Ed has in discovering new talent and having them perform to a live audience in his home while being recorded.

Ed deals in chamber music exclusively with either solo, duos or trios performing the music. For me I can honestly say that at least 90% of the music I have never heard before so it gives me great insight as to the composers of the music. Usually Ed has used duos and trios but in a few of his recent tapes he has solo piano performance that will leave you on the edge of your seat. His tapes are truly a "you are there experience" as you can feel the energy in the room

The sound quality is what truly draws me in as I have said so many times that I am an illiterate when it comes to classical music. Ed's tapes open so many new avenues. These recent tapes were special as a few were duos involving cello and piano. All I can say is that for y ears, the sense of realism and being there is achieved by the timbre of the instruments. If you ever want to know what a piano, cello or violin sounds like have a listen to one of Ed's tapes. I own a lot of tapes my library but at last count I have close to 30 of Ed's tapes. Each one is a concert onto itself and the applause by the audience at the end gives me the feeling that I am in that audience sitting dead center. His tapes are really that good

The Tschaikovsky violin concerto brought goose bumps to my arms while listening

If you're a tape head and appreciate great and well recorded music, Ed's tapes serve well to relieve all the tension in the world today. It was a terrific playlist while I self isolate

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
Reactions: Steve Williams

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing