Does Analog EQ belong in State of the Art Systems?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Buy the Schiit one for $1500 and find out. If you love it, spend $8000 on one with a name that doesn't sound better.

Reactions: Alrainbow

Analog Scott

Jun 21, 2017
DSP is undoubtedly a more technically precise solution to EQ problems, but it is a solution which analog purists with state of the art analog systems are likely to find anathema, except, perhaps, for EQing bass below around 100Hz.
IMO it’s an unfortunate, dare I say, phobia. I thought the MoFi “scandal” illustrated it very well. Many LPs that have been touted as poster children for the alleged superiority of an all analog signal path have turned out to have a digital step in that signal path. This isn’t exclusive to MoFi.

I would go so far as to say true state of the art analog incorporates digital in the signal path.

Last edited:

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
I would use an analog EQ If the quality is good enuff not to degrade the signal path and with good S/N. No more than 3db +/- adjustments..

If it uses Opamps in the signal path , run..

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Buy the Schiit one for $1500 and find out. If you love it, spend $8000 on one with a name that doesn't sound better.
Our TMallin, a meticulous audiophile, reported a diminution in transparency and special information with the Loki One Max.

But I totally agree that the Loki One Max would be easy and instructive way to get one's feet wet in analog EQ.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
A totally unnecessary divide. One can enjoy euphonic analog colorations and digital accuracy together.

I specified "analog" in the title of the thread in the hope of avoiding another digital versus analog litigation. DSP EQ is not for this thread, please.

Analog Scott

Jun 21, 2017
I specified "analog" in the title of the thread in the hope of avoiding another digital versus analog litigation. DSP EQ is not for this thread, please.
I was only addressing other posts that were engaging in that debate. As I said, I think they can and should live happily together sans any debate.

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
My purest approach always has been that I would not give up one iota of transparency to achieve manual manipulation of the frequency response curve of the system. But maybe this is wrong? Maybe giving up one or two iotas of transparency to achieve what is subjectively for each of our systems our ideal frequency response is a good trade?

It's a trade off like all things. If you have a tuff room and you can get an improvement why not. It amazes me some preamps have such limited tone controls. You used to get high pass lowpass and shelving tone controls with selectable hinge points.

Certainly not SOTA but I like mine. Transparency is what matters. If you can't hear the signal degrade why not use them? I am talking cut only and sparingly. This system if from before DSP was affordable or readily available. Still have it still use it as part of my HT. All analog digital source.

Rob :)

Attachments

• Resize EQ.jpg
    Resize EQ.jpg
    768 KB · Views: 4

Analog Scott

Jun 21, 2017
I was only addressing other posts that were engaging in that debate. As I said, I think they can and should live happily together sans any debate.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
The KMR Wes Audio ngTubeEQ in the link is an impressive piece of tube gear that would provide a lot of flexibility. The Manley device appears to be more a “tone shaper” (similar to the bass/mid/treble controls on old integrated receivers) than a device to address the specific frequency response anomolies typical in residential audiophile settings.
There are many suitable products on the site, but the wes ng tube eq is the oylmp may have too many setting options for the Rons system. What's really good with this device, you can adjust everything from your listening position via the smartphone app, a very good gimmick.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Is this because you look at the curves on the Manley and concluded that their Q is lower (broader) than the curves on the KMR?
Yes. And, finer gradations in the target frequency for each filter.

I’ve experimented with quite a bit of professional gear. Some of it is outstanding and others less so. Some of the verbiage on that unit was the quality of the transformers, etc. from which I inferred a focus on the sorts of qualities audiophiles seek.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Our TMallin, a meticulous audiophile, reported a diminution in transparency and special information with the Loki One Max.

But I totally agree that the Loki One Max would be easy and instructive way to get one's feet wet in analog EQ.
I will split the cost with you and we can both try it. I would be willing to divide that up a little more if others want in.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Ron, is there any sort of goal with an EQ. I think it should be noted, EQ is very limited in that its just frequency. It has not affect as far as I know on Phase or timing of the signal. Phase and timing may be an area that are more important to correct than tone. Phase and timing can help correct tone if you have peaks or nulls oerlappimg each other at the chair.

I had a EQ as a kid. I loved it. I had no concept of musical purity. I just wanted it to soumd good. I had the typical smiley face on mine. I would add one for kicks. Bruce B suggested one that looks very pro audio and flexible. But its $6k used on Reverb. I wonder how much more transparent it is than the Loki Max. Or is it just more flexible.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I will split the cost with you and we can both try it. I would be willing to divide that up a little more if others want in.
I appreciate the thought. But their 14 day return policy really makes it easier for anyone interested to buy it himself/herself.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, is there any sort of goal with an EQ. I think it should be noted, EQ is very limited in that its just frequency. It has not affect as far as I know on Phase or timing of the signal.
I think it likely does have an effect on phase and timing. I think the EQ likely introduces anomalies and problems to phase and timing.

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
Here is a Rupert Neve Design for modest cost.

A parametric equalizer allows you to choose center frequencies, bandwidth and amplitude. It is about as analog as you can get. And Rupert Neve’s studio recording designs are legendary.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Here is a Rupert Neve Design for modest cost.

A parametric equalizer allows you to choose center frequencies, bandwidth and amplitude. It is about as analog as you can get. And Rupert Neve’s studio recording designs are legendary.
How does it have USB input?

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I think it likely does have an effect on phase and timing. I think the EQ likely introduces anomalies and problems to phase and timing.
Why do you think the EQ creates phase and timing issues.

If it does, then maybe its more important to have an active unit such as full DSP to correct for those issues. Now your back to a digital interface.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing