Does Music Have To Sound Real To Elicit Emotion

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Some post by Tima about our brains made mine stir.

Perhaps this one, below ... it is more about listening than your topic, but happy it stirred your brain. :)

Assuming one can hear, hearing happens. Sound pressure waves act upon the hearing system and the brain receves electrical signals from the ear. You don't need to be awake to hear.

Listening is intentional. One intends to receive sound, one is receptive to sound, often specific sound. One may hear sound that is other than the specific sound one wants to hear and that is distracting and yes, can divide attention or break attention to specific sound.

Undistracted listening may either be focused or unfocused. Focused listening occurs more in the cerebral cortex - cognitive listening. Listening can also occur at what we might call an intuitive level, a non-cognitive level that is rooted in primitive limbic functions of awareness, deep in our lizard brain.

Imagine yourself talking with a friend while walking through a mall during the Holidays. You hear all sorts of sounds from all different directions but you are able to ignore those and listen to what your friend is saying. All of a sudden a musical group starts to play handbells and sing. Immediately, without the type focused listening of hearing your friend, without cognition, intuitively you know that is the sound of live music.

Sitting before your stereo, when one 'let's go' or loses focus while listening to music, consonance and dissonance will light up limbic systems responsible for pleasureable and negative emotions. The non-cognitive experience of music can trigger areas in the brain sufficient to cause the release of endorphins -- when they reach the limbic system’s opioid receptors, feelings of satisfaction ensue.

The intuitive/cognitive balance can go both ways. If a component or a system breaks the fundamental rules of human hearing, our music-listening brain reaches a kind of tipping point where processing of music occurs less in limbic areas and more in the cerebral cortex. While listening to my stereo, if my ear/brain system detects distortion, for example an excess of third-order harmonics that cause increased loudness or forwardness from that trumpet section over there in right field, in an instant it can happen: focus is triggered, the eyes open and the non-inferential immediacy of our musical enjoyment collapses.

I think a level of high quality playback can shock a listener out of reality and into a space with the music where the intent of the artist has a chance to dwell up emotions. This can happen any time with any old radio. But a heaping dose of HIFI clarity and bass gusto or a Natural sound might help loosen ones attachment to reality for a moment and let them move to other places in their mind.

Perhaps you are thinking of non-cognitive limbic listening as a "loosening of reality".

Last edited:
Reactions: Alrainbow

BillK

Aug 25, 2015
Basically, for me the better the reproduction, the stronger the emotional hit.

While I can have an emotional reaction to a low bit-rate MP3, I can instantly be moved to tears by a live orchestra.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
[
I don't know where this idea music has to be real or natural or believable to elicit emotions came from. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting. Maybe no one said that. But if it has been said, and people are striving for natural or real, where did the idea that would make the music emotional come from. Doesn't the emotions associated with music come from the events that were tied to the music. And those events might be tied to a really bad car stereo. Wouldn't then music played over a system that mimics the era of my life associated with deep feelings rise forth better when played back by a similar system.

Emotion comes in many forms. I suspect a recording of a jackhammer or jet engine would cause me unpleasent emotions; white noise can be irritating; the sound of a tv tuned to a dead channel is annoying. I've enjoyed Kraftwerk's music even though it is mostly electronic.

Reactions: Alrainbow

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...it might be interesting to consider the role of age in the emotional response of listeners. I find myself more emotionally moved by music as I age.

I had this conversation with a friend who is a performing classical guitarist, and he thought there might well be an age component to the responses.

He stated he remembered his father became very emotional over certain pieces of music later in life.

I do not mean to imply younger people have less of an emotional response to music, but I wonder how the depth of emotion might grow over the decades.

Most of the folks posting on WBF seem to me to be gentlemen of a certain age, which must influence not only what we hear, but how we respond emotionally, perhaps even in the emotional impact of our words on these threads.

Reactions: 2ndLiner

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
...it might be interesting to consider the role of age in the emotional response of listeners. I find myself more emotionally moved by music as I age

When I was younger music for me was maybe more purely fun factor , the excitement of seeing a favorite group live with friends and feeding off the atmosphere, unwrapping a long awaited release and getting it spinning to simply hear the new tracks, maybe a little air guitar, dancing. Guess it may be how one wants to define emotional response for his/herself at any stage. Even at my age now elements of the aforementioned remain, while I also find myself sitting back , closing my eyes and being completely absorbed when listening to certain music. For me music regardless of age is one of the few things that simply offers a welcome relief from the day to day aspects of life.

Reactions: Pokey77

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I do not mean to imply younger people have less of an emotional response to music, but I wonder how the depth of emotion might grow over the decades.
Hmm given my eyesight and hearing is worse now than it was when I was younger. Does that mean my emotion is from the fact that I'm happy I can still hear music? :oops::D

Honestly everyone has an emotional reaction when they listen to music. My daughter just went to a concert and she absolutely loved it. I'm 100% sure I would not have had the same emotion if I had gone to the concert with her. And I'm 100% sure she wouldn't have the same emotion if she went to a concert with me. My emotion is no more valid/better/stronger/etc. than hers.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Emotion comes in many forms. I suspect a recording of a jackhammer or jet engine would cause me unpleasent emotions; white noise can be irritating; the sound of a tv tuned to a dead channel is annoying.
...it might be interesting to consider the role of age in the emotional response of listeners.

Tima is right, Markus is wrong. You can test this by playing Country music at a bar. The young people will be so irritated they will get into fights.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Maybe the degree of emotion needs to be considered.

Its one thing to be overwhelmed. Its another to be "In A Place".
I have a demo Aidas Mammoth Gold cartridge and RADA Precious phono pre on loan. Last night it was late. I had headphones on. I could not stop spinning record sides. I pulled a Marty. My wife had to stop me and say its late, go to bed. I felt very gripped. I couldn't stop. I was in a place because I was mesmerized by the whole of it all. Music I like. The presentation in a new way that was super to old. I was in a low level emotional state that kept me engaged. Maybe I would have been there without the new components influencing me. Maybe not. I have been there in the past plenty of times with lesser equipment. My perception of last night was that a bit of "Awe" at how it all sounded helped me along.

I'm torn. I think I supported both sides of the argument.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Hmm given my eyesight and hearing is worse now than it was when I was younger. Does that mean my emotion is from the fact that I'm happy I can still hear music? :oops::D

Honestly everyone has an emotional reaction when they listen to music. My daughter just went to a concert and she absolutely loved it. I'm 100% sure I would not have had the same emotion if I had gone to the concert with her. And I'm 100% sure she wouldn't have the same emotion if she went to a concert with me. My emotion is no more valid/better/stronger/etc. than hers.
Sounds more like your saying the content, not quality influences emotions.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Not in TX or Nashville. The kids love country music. The fights might be over the girls in white dresses and cowboy boots.
Thats a bummer. I was starting to consider Texas as a new place to land. Country music makes me angry.

• Wow
Reactions: PeterA

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
Thats a bummer. I was starting to consider Texas as a new place to land. Country music makes me angry.
So, you thought Texas might not harbor country music?!

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I guess everyone sees things differently. If I don't like the content I could care less about the quality.
I don't listen to music I don't like either. I was at another audiophiles home and I asked to hear Black Sabbath. I got stopped there. Others have standards too.

jbrrp1

Aug 3, 2020
I don't listen to music I don't like either. I was at another audiophiles home and I asked to hear Black Sabbath. I got stopped there. Others have standards too.
Man, I love Sabbath! One man's "yum" is another's "yuck", once again. And I find that the recording quality on their first two albums to reward excellent playback, too.

• Haha
Reactions: Pokey77 and bryans

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Some post by Tima about our brains made mine stir. If my reference for music is a radio. And a crappy one at that. But I have all sorts of good time, bad times associated to events and music of the time played over a junk system, why wouldn't that same music over an Alexa not stir an emotional reaction.

I don't know where this idea music has to be real or natural or believable to elicit emotions came from. Or maybe I'm misinterpreting. Maybe no one said that. But if it has been said, and people are striving for natural or real, where did the idea that would make the music emotional come from. Doesn't the emotions associated with music come from the events that were tied to the music. And those events might be tied to a really bad car stereo. Wouldn't then music played over a system that mimics the era of my life associated with deep feelings rise forth better when played back by a similar system.

Good post. In my case since Alexa’s won’t play my reference albums and recordings. They don’t do anything emotionally pedestrian gear wouldn’t do.

My office system main goal is to amplify whatever emotions I’m feeling at the time. It does the job well for me.

My home system is designed to nudge me a little toward a live feeling. And people like how it plays rock and roll.

I’m not sure how much my emotions are caused by events. I’ve liked Mountain’s Theme for an Imaginary Western since it came out in 1970. It put me in a good mood commuting to my office one day. But my best recorded musical experience this year was Neil Young’s Ordinary People. I’d never heard it before. Also commuting into Phoenix. Second best was Carrie Underwood’s Two Black Cadillacs on the way to the golf course. And I don’t remember ever hearing before.

My best experience with my systems in the last decade was The Killers live at Hang Out with a Y cable connecting the TV to my stereo. But I would never confuse it with an actual live event.

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
Man, I love Sabbath! One man's "yum" is another's "yuck", once again. And I find that the recording quality on their first two albums to reward excellent playback, too.
I have only gotten into the first album. I really like The Wizard. I get goose bumps when I crank that song. The funny thing is, the technical prows of the musicians is not well refined. A bit sloppy/grungy. But it works. The hooks and riffs are heard later through many songs in the rock/metal/grunge era.
Sabbath is an example of music that doesn't really have to sound great for me. I could be driving in my car and I would sing along and get amped up for the drive.

Reactions: Pokey77

Kingrex

Feb 3, 2019
I'm lucky my parents at 86 are healthy. They took the train across the country to visit their kids. My mom is into music. She came walking in from the living room where I had some digital background music playing and was surprised how good the music sounded. Later in the evening I had her sit with me and started with a 15 ips tape. She was shocked how good it sounded. She specifically said it sounded so much like she was at a live show. The music was very real and natural. Then my dad came in and threw some buzz kill around. Why is the music so loud? After getting him straight we were there to play the music and not talk I explained a little about Cat Stevens and the Father And Son song. Then I fired it up. My mom was overwhelmed. My dad, half deaf just mumbled he could not understand most of the words. Then tries to tell me Tea For The Tillerman couldn't have ever been a popular album. I had to send him back to annoying my wife. Then I played a Tony Bennet/ Diana Krall and some Vince Guaraldi.

In short, I don't think the impact of the moment would be the same with a lesser system. The quality of the music was important.

My mom also told an intense story of a friend of hers who was a young child in the Holocaust and how music and a tenacious grip to culture was how she survived. All in all a pretty intense event.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
I'm lucky my parents at 86 are healthy. They took the train across the country to visit their kids. My mom is into music. She came walking in from the living room where I had some digital background music playing and was surprised how good the music sounded. Later in the evening I had her sit with me and started with a 15 ips tape. She was shocked how good it sounded. She specifically said it sounded so much like she was at a live show. The music was very real and natural. Then my dad came in and threw some buzz kill around. Why is the music so loud? After getting him straight we were there to play the music and not talk I explained a little about Cat Stevens and the Father And Son song. Then I fired it up. My mom was overwhelmed. My dad, half deaf just mumbled he could not understand most of the words. Then tries to tell me Tea For The Tillerman couldn't have ever been a popular album. I had to send him back to annoying my wife. Then I played a Tony Bennet/ Diana Krall and some Vince Guaraldi.

In short, I don't think the impact of the moment would be the same with a lesser system. The quality of the music was important.

My mom also told an intense story of a friend of hers who was a young child in the Holocaust and how music and a tenacious grip to culture was how she survived. All in all a pretty intense event.
My Dad visited me a few years ago and I just got a new turntable and Pink Floyd - The Wall Sony, 2016 (great reissue). He was so stunned with the sound that he bought a new turntable and more vinyl. I can imagine, that without the sound quality, his passion for vinyl would stay in the background!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing