Does your family know what your system's worth?

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I am finding this thread to provide me my daily laugh of the day. I hope it continues.
It‘s a rich topic, if one is willing to go there. I knew I was getting near the deep end of the pool when someone asked me to administer the dissolution of their audio equipment estate, when the time comes. Any large asset set is prone to family infighting, whether the owner is living or not. I’m surprised this hasn’t been the topic of a murder/mystery yet as my wife has watched 23,419 various episodes so far. She’s full of ideas :oops:

Reactions: Lagonda

facten

Feb 13, 2022
Tennessee
I've been a widower for a number of years, but while my wife was alive we pretty much didn't hassle one another about personal spending. On the rare occasion that she did hassle me my standard response was I left my mother at home a long time ago. When I pass I don't expect that my son will have an interest in the equipment so I'll leave it up to him if he wants to try to get some cash for it , etc.

Republicoftexas69

My kids do, at least order of magnitude. They will inherit it some day and I don't want them to give it to goodwill.
Same here and my kids will add my gear to their systems.

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
I have an audiophile gentlemen's agreement with my friends who visit and vice-versa. We never discuss prices of the equipment and cables in front of our partners.

Because we are all guilty of dropping one "0" when respective partners asked how much it costs. I can get away with spending $5,000 on a power cord because I tell her its just a simple cable. Actual price less a 0 is the price I tell her.

When I die, my Will states that an audiophile buddy will sell the system and records for a fair value to add to my estate.

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
I have an audiophile gentlemen's agreement with my friends who visit and vice-versa. We never discuss prices of the equipment and cables in front of our partners.

Because we are all guilty of dropping one "0" when respective partners asked how much it costs. I can get away with spending $5,000 on a power cord because I tell her its just a simple cable. Actual price less a 0 is the price I tell her.

When I die, my Will states that an audiophile buddy will sell the system and records for a fair value to add to my estate.
Has your spouse ever asked you who Ron Resnick is in casual conversation, as my wife has?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Has your spouse ever asked you who Ron Resnick is in casual conversation, as my wife has?

do you think she is secretly watching his videos. I did see a Mrs Tuckia logged on to the Zoom conference he aired

• Haha
Reactions: Lagonda

Tuckia

Jun 3, 2019
do you think she is secretly watching his videos. I did see a Mrs Tuckia logged on to the Zoom conference he aired
OMG! You're trying to kill me with a heart attack from a forum post! Was that a Sister Boniface episode?

Well, if you succeed, you know that no one else here wants these heavy boxes. Come and get them. Then you will own something.:p Maybe trade for a used TT or Altec driver.

• Haha
Reactions: bonzo75

Serenade

Nov 30, 2022
No because here in Asia, Ron is unknown. Easier to camouflage audiophile equipment prices given that the market here is full of consumer hifi from household consumer names that sell for 1/10th price and look expensive. The audiophile gear that I buy dont look expensive. But I have to avoid D'Agostino :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing