Does your family know what your system's worth?

Zuman

Feb 25, 2023
I love my two-channel system and it gives me great pleasure, but it's primarily a private and individual "relationship," except for a few listening sessions with friends. My wife made it clear that she'd prefer my rack and speakers to be set up in our basement tv room, and that's fine: it's become a kind of stereotypical man-cave.
I suspect that its value is in the bottom quartile of WBF members' systems at about $30k total, but - as I'm now in my 70s, albeit healthy and active - I occasionally have a fleeting thought about what would happen to my system if I were no longer around. I think this is because I've invested thought and care in it, and it's returned real joy and satisfaction to me.
I'd prefer that someone - my daughters, nephews, nieces - would say that they'd love to have it intact, and I'd happily endorse it going to whomever would want most to keep it and enjoy it. But if no one really cares about inheriting a carefully-curated system that is capable of creating emotionally-involving interludes, I really don't want to see it ending up in a garage sale or just disposed of in a "Does anyone want Uncle Mike's old record player?" manner.
So...do other people in your family care about your system, and if not, do they know what it's actually worth so it'll at least receive some financial respect?

steve59

Jan 7, 2018
I haven't been able to cultivate any audiophiles in my family and my wife still cares little for the value of a dollar so should I go first my system will be sold off to the first bidder regardless of price.

Reactions: rDin

Leekg

Jan 17, 2022
Visalia, CA
So...do other people in your family care about your system, and if not, do they know what it's actually worth so it'll at least receive some financial respect?
That's a great question - thanks for raising the subject. LPs and tapes are at equal risk of the same fate.

In my case a son is an audiophile and knows the ropes of pricing and selling gear so we should be set. As a family we share any updates to our estate plan on an annual basis to keep it "real" for the kids which maintains some awareness. One less thing of concern for them when we catch our last train for the coast.

Reactions: SCAudiophile

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Gear, Yes.

LPs, at present even I don't know.

3rdRock

Sep 11, 2018
Nashville, TN
One of my biggest fears is that after I die, my wife will sell all my equipment for what I told her I paid for it!

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
No worries here. 10' X 15' "dead"icated listening Vault. 20 amp dedicated circuit (OFC of course}, various room treatments. Only problem so far is finding a internet provider.

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
My wife of 49 years knew what I paid for anything I purchased.
Having no interest in audio and being a conservative accountant for years, she thinks it is crazy. That said she understands my love for it.
I have suggested that when I'm gone she give it all to one of my audio friends that will enjoy most all of it as I do.
What she does will be her choice.

Last edited:

exupgh12

Jul 30, 2019
I don't hide the cost, my daughter thinks I'm crazy, but my spouse understands my craziness :)
saying that, my daughter started showing signs that she might be more interested in my system than she shows.

Last edited:
Reactions: prerich

audioresurgence

Jul 30, 2019
I keep a spreadsheet on Google docs that has all my gear listed (from 2 systems). It shows the item, location of packaging and any accessories, msrp, what I paid, low/average/high resale price suggestions, and several sets of contact information for people who might purchase or help dispose of the equipment in the event that I croak it on short notice. It’s the least I can do given the latitude I’m extended on the purchasing front.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
No wife and no kids. I don’t care what happens to my audio setup when I’m gone.

Reactions: ctydwn

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
Interesting question.. I'm experiencing a similar scenario in that my daughter
is going through a divorce as we speak. About 4 yrs ago I gifted
a system to her and her husband.......about 20,000 worth of equipment.
B&W 802 D speakers,,Pass lab amp, dual Rel subs, Rega saturn cd and
Aurender streamer.. Respectable system. As they are packing up the
house to sell and go their own ways, I asked about what they are doing with
the system or at least who is going to keep it. Turns out the response was
" Oh--neither of us wanted it so we sold it to a neighbor--he gave us
$3500 bucks..............I proceeded to make an appointment with my
gastroenterologist to pump my stomach and un twist my intestines
I literally cried--after vomiting.. I kid you not------
My wife cried as well knowing how much money I spent on their gift.
You cannot make this stuff up

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
Sadly my daughter very well knows the cost—which makes it more hurtful…

brad225

VIP/Donor
Nov 22, 2012
Sorry to hear of their divorce and the disposal of the equipment.

The down side of gift giving is, we are clearly out of the picture once it is given. I think we all have had something we gave not have the application we had intended. Doesn't make it easier. Just, you are not alone.

Reactions: MarkusBarkus

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
:( Think I would have had the same reaction..

shel50

Aug 3, 2020
Long Island, NY
Sorry to hear of their divorce and the disposal of the equipment.

The down side of gift giving is, we are clearly out of the picture once it is given. I think we all have had something we gave not have the application we had intended. Doesn't make it easier. Just, you are not alone.
very true--I guess I realized the gift didn't mean much to them when I noticed on one visit, they used the subs as "storage shelves and the
pass labs amp as a paper weight..-not to mention a dust collector.

so much for the gift of music I guess.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Gear No.

7000 vinyl records - Yes. 99% on discogs. They look at the min, medium and max prices and they want me dead now ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing