DSP/DRC for Grimm MU-1 + Mola Mola Tambaqui

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
After many years of playing around with room correction, I decided the game was not worth the candle. The additional DSP introduces colorations that are just not worth the possible improvements. All these curves of how smooth the response is with room correction are illusory. If you move around a room and take measurements, your corrected room response goes to pieces.
I find well-tuned DSP to be “different than” rather than “lesser than” for two channel listening - with my preferences highly dependent on the speakers, their placement, the room, the playlist, and my mood.

I’ve measured at multiple points pre/post DSP in multiple rooms and the results are almost always an improvement in low frequency ringing and time alignment, but more modest improvements in frequency response.

godofwealth

Feb 8, 2022
DSP can work well in some cases. The most dramatic example I encountered was once when I bought a used pair of ProAc 3.8 speakers where one speaker clearly had a defective crossover. Using DSP I was able to correct its response so that it very nearly sounded identical to the working one. It was amazing to see what DSP could do. Without it that broken speaker was unlistenable. With it, you could hardly tell the difference.

PGA

Dec 29, 2013
Ditto on recommending Mitch. He provided nice improvements for me in two different high-end settings (one set of filters for a setting with extensive acoustic treatment and another in a ”typical hi-rise condo“ setting.) In both cases the “losses” from inserting DRC were outweighed by the compelling gains.
Ditto again recommending Mitch Barnett. My TAD R1s now using his convolution filters running on Roon never sounded this good. Absolutely spectacular. And Mitch also did the same for my friend that owns CR1s with similar excepcional results. Nothing I’ve done has ever made such a difference. The dynamics, timbre, natural tone, imaging, depth, air … are better than ever.

Carlos269

Mar 21, 2012
Ditto again recommending Mitch Barnett. My TAD R1s now using his convolution filters running on Roon never sounded this good. Absolutely spectacular. And Mitch also did the same for my friend that owns CR1s with similar excepcional results. Nothing I’ve done has ever made such a difference. The dynamics, timbre, natural tone, imaging, depth, air … are better than ever.

Excellent! Glad to hear of your great results.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing