Ecki's System

Solartiger

Apr 21, 2022
Let me introduce myself and my system, now that everything is ready. My name is Eckhard or Ecki for my friends. I am originally from Berlin but live since 5 years in Cape Town, South Africa. I spend many evenings reading and enjoying a jazz trio playing "live" in my living room. I was a long time Burmester fan, but have moved on to Gryphon this year.

IMG_0989.jpg

IMG_0979 (1).jpg

IMG_1590.jpg

IMG_1591.jpg
We tried to integrate the system into a custom build music wall with plenty of storage for CDs, where the cables are (mostly) hidden. The rectangular blinds hide the cables and provide the structural rigidity for the shelves.

IMG_4328.jpg
Here are all the cables nicely laid out.

IMG_0977.jpg
As the mono amplifiers have two sets of output terminals each, I use two pairs of speaker cables to connect the speakers (In Akustik Air Reference).

IMG_4329.jpg
Behind the bottom blind is a little DB board. The power amplifiers and the power conditioner are directly connected (by an electrician!) to this DB board.

IMG_0980.jpg
When it is all set up, it looks neat and clean (besides my CDs of course that tend to always be untidy). The wife acceptance factor is high, despite the "Star Wars" look of the amplifiers.

Here are the components and some thoughts on them.

Sources:
I use the Gryphon Ethos CD player and the Aurender N30SA as sources. I had one of the first S10 in Europe and I am a fan since. Although I occasionally stream with the N30SA, I mainly play locally stored music, always in critical listening mode. The Ethos is an excellent sounding DAC too and I found AES sounding by far better than USB between these components. If in future I want to buy another DAC, the Ethos delivers the CD stream via AES turning it into a reference CD transport. The Ethos is a gem for any owner of an extensive CD collection. I never heard CDs sounding that good. I can not distinguish a CD from a local Aurender file - unless of course it is a high resolution recording playing from the Aurender. It sounds clearly better to do the upsampling in the Ethos rather than in the N30SA.

I found that the Ethos and the N30SA benefit a lot from excellent power cables. I use Isotek EVO3 ASCENSION cables for the sources and an In Akustik Reference Silver AES cable.

Amplifier and preamplifier:
The Gryphon Pandora is build as two mono preamplifiers. The power supply comes in a separate case that contains 3 power supplies, two for the right and left channel actual preamplifier unit and one for the display and the volume control. There are two Isotek EVO3 ASCENSION cables necessary. Tara Labs "The Muse" XLR cables connect the Ethos, the Pandora and the Antileons.

The two Gryphon Antileon mono amplifiers have a rich, warm class A sound and they make music just come alive in front of you. They get terribly hot and the whole system consumes a bit over 2.000W per hour. But it surrounds you with music that is just in the room, not anymore connected to the speakers. The Antileons get their power from Gryphon VIP Reference power cords directly connected to the breaker box.

Speakers:
The KEF Blades sound wonderfully neutral and disappear within the room. They don't want to be further apart than 3 meters. The power and bass they emit is surprisingly deep and full, given the petite form. The rest of my system can drive a much more potent loudspeaker. At some point in the future I will probably upgrade my speakers.

Power Conditioner:
I have a Gigawatt Evo4 power conditioner for the sources and the preamplifier.

I hope you enjoyed my little virtual tour.

Music is the best!

Cheers,
Ecki

Component placement:
Bottom left: Gryphon Pandora power supply
Bottom right: Gigawatt Evo4
Middle left: Aurender N30SA dirty unit
Middle right: Aurender N30SA digital unit
Top left: Gryphon Pandora
Top right Gryphon Ethos CD player

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Impressive!

Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the What's Best Forum.

Tom

Reactions: Solartiger

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Let me introduce myself and my system, now that everything is ready. My name is Eckhard or Ecki for my friends. I am originally from Berlin but live since 5 years in Cape Town, South Africa. I spend many evenings reading and enjoying a jazz trio playing "live" in my living room. I was a long time Burmester fan, but have moved on to Gryphon this year.

View attachment 102252

View attachment 102237

View attachment 102238

View attachment 102240
We tried to integrate the system into a custom build music wall with plenty of storage for CDs, where the cables are (mostly) hidden. The rectangular blinds hide the cables and provide the structural rigidity for the shelves.

View attachment 102242

View attachment 102246
As the mono amplifiers have two sets of output terminals each, I use two pairs of speaker cables to connect the speakers (In Akustik Air Reference).

View attachment 102239
Behind the bottom blind is a little DB board. The power amplifiers and the power conditioner are directly connected (by an electrician!) to this DB board.

View attachment 102244
When it is all set up, it looks neat and clean (besides my CDs of course that tend to always be untidy). The wife acceptance factor is high, despite the "Star Wars" look of the amplifiers.

Sources:
I use the Gryphon Ethos CD player and the Aurender N30SA as sources. I had one of the first S10 in Europe and I am a fan since. Although I occasionally stream with the N30SA, I mainly play locally stored music, always in critical listening mode. The Ethos is an excellent sounding DAC too and I found AES sounding by far better than USB between these components. If in future I want to buy another DAC, the Ethos delivers the CD stream via AES turning it into a reference CD transport. The Ethos is a gem for any owner of an extensive CD collection. I never heard CDs sounding that good. I can not distinguish a CD from a local Aurender file - unless of course it is a high resolution recording playing from the Aurender. It sounds clearly better to do the upsampling in the Ethos rather than in the N30SA.

I found that the Ethos and the N30SA benefit a lot from excellent power cables. I use Isotek EVO3 ASCENSION cables for the sources and an In Akustik Reference Silver AES cable.

The Gryphon Pandora is build as two mono preamplifiers. The power supply comes in a separate case that contains 3 power supplies, two for the right and left channel actual preamplifier unit and one for the display and the volume control. There are two Isotek EVO3 ASCENSION cables necessary. Tara Labs "The Muse" XLR cables connect the Ethos, the Pandora and the Antileons.

The two Gryphon Antileon mono amplifiers have a rich, warm class A sound and they make music just come alive in front of you. They get terribly hot and the whole system consumes a bit over 2.000W per hour. But it surrounds you with music that is just in the room, not anymore connected to the speakers. The Antileons get their power from Gryphon VIP Reference power cords directly connected to the breaker box.

Speakers:
The KEF Blades sound wonderfully neutral and disappear within the room. They don't want to be further apart than 3 meters. The power and bass they emit is surprisingly deep and full, given the petite form. The rest of my system can drive a much more potent loudspeaker. At some point in the future I will probably upgrade my speakers.

Power Conditioner:

Music is the best!

Cheers,
Ecki

Component placement:
Thank you.
Very impressive.
A pity you have to cope with the vagaries of the electricity supply in South Africa, or are you in area where the supply is less prone to cuts?

Solartiger

Apr 21, 2022
I have solar panels on the roof and 24k Ah of battery capacity. This brings even class A amplifiers uninterrupted through periods of power cuts. But to make this work and also not negatively affect the sound was difficult. When the electricity supply is unreliable like under WW1 conditions, you notice the big influence of power quality on the sound of a high end system.

It was important to correct the power factor with big capacitors when I have power from the City. When I run on batteries, it sounds best if the hifi system is isolated on a single phase. Therefore I use 3 inverters to have 3 phases, one for the hifi system and two for my critical loads. Now my power is as good and clean as in Europe.

It took me and my electrician a while to figure out how to do it best. Inverters can leave a nasty signature! When the electricity supply is unreliable as under WW1 conditions, you notice the big influence of power quality on the sound of a high end system.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I have solar panels on the roof and 24k Ah of battery capacity. This brings even class A amplifiers uninterrupted through periods of power cuts. But to make this work and also not negatively affect the sound was difficult. When the electricity supply is unreliable like under WW1 conditions, you notice the big influence of power quality on the sound of a high end system.

It was important to correct the power factor with big capacitors when I have power from the City. When I run on batteries, it sounds best if the hifi system is isolated on a single phase. Therefore I use 3 inverters to have 3 phases, one for the hifi system and two for my critical loads. Now my power is as good and clean as in Europe.

It took me and my electrician a while to figure out how to do it best. Inverters can leave a nasty signature! When the electricity supply is unreliable as under WW1 conditions, you notice the big influence of power quality on the sound of a high end system.
I have the same on my roof. Solar powers my system 100% during the day. I too am all tubes and all class A

thomask

Dec 9, 2018
Washington State, US
Nice system.

I had been to Berlin just once 15 years ago.

I also enjoy Aurender 30SA.

Since it is sensitive to any noise, I put seperate isolation transformer for it.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Eckhardt!

jwhite613

Feb 3, 2012
New Mexico
Nice looking room

n+1

Jan 4, 2023

View attachment 102252

View attachment 102237

View attachment 102238

View attachment 102240

View attachment 102242

View attachment 102246

View attachment 102239

View attachment 102244

Sources:

Speakers:

Power Conditioner:

Music is the best!

Cheers,
Ecki

Component placement:
Very thoughtful. Congratulations.

Reactions: Long Live Analog

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Nice system indeed!

Contatto2010

Hello Eckhard,

whow very konsequent and pretty heavy gear your driving there.

With the loadshedding we seem to have the same problem since I also moved from Germany- Kassel- to Cape Town -Houtbay- 2.5 years ago.

I once had the Gryphon Antileon as well combined with a Rainer Roeder -Pre One- Tube Audio Professional Pre Amp and it was awesome but yes it pulled quite some Power out of the socket.

McDee275

Nov 4, 2021
Germany
Hi Ecki,

impressive room and gear. Very good to look at and well done. Even as I use a totally different way in case of amplifiers and loudspeakers you have my full admiration reg. the way you combine everything so well together,
And your solar powered energy concept is, imhO, state of the art.
Chapeau and Congratulations :D

Solartiger

Apr 21, 2022

Here is an update to my system. The placement of the speakers at the long wall as shown before was always a compromise. Ron's "new room" thread inspired me to try placing the speakers at the short wall. This sounded so much better that I decided to change my setup. The big challenge was to bring the signal from the current rack to the power amplifiers. Tara Labs built a 10m "The Muse" XLR cable for me to solve this. We built a new DB board behind the stacked wood and proper trunkings to hide all cables.

Surprisingly the system looks less massive now, the power amplifiers next to the speakers disappear literally. And as you can see, now there is space for some bigger speakers in the future too.

The sound has improved a lot. There is more body and a more solid foundation. The long XLR cable works so well that I regret not having done this a long time ago.

Best regards,
Ecki

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing