Elastisearch Function is Down

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Our Elastisearch has been down since yesterday and some members are experiencing issues as a result thereof.

A ticket has been submitted yesterday but I'm informed that resolution won't happen until tomorrow. A simian situation occurred in December but it was fixed immediately. I guess the issue isn't that important that one of their senior techs won't be available to fix the problem until tomorrow. Thanks to everyone for being patient. I hope to have this resolved tomorrow

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
@Steve Williams if you don’t get satisfaction from customer support at Ealstic, let me know. I was their General Counsel for 6.5 years, and while I left in December to take another position, I did so on excellent terms and very much keep in touch with my former colleagues.

Steve Williams

@Steve Williams if you don’t get satisfaction from customer support at Ealstic, let me know. I was their General Counsel for 6.5 years, and while I left in December to take another position, I did so on excellent terms and very much keep in touch with my former colleagues.
It’s not elasticsearch but rather tech support from our web host

Steve Williams

Just a brief note of follow up to this issue our Elastisearch function went down on Saturday and as it turned out the reason was we had so much site traffic after Munich that we ran out of memory (RAM) and MYSQL was struck due to inadequate RAM. This issue apparently impacted many members from signing on. All of these issues turned out to be as a result of marked increase in site traffic which caused us to run out of RAM. It was a simple fix as more RAM has been added. The big delay however turned out to be because non of the weekend techs were senior enough in rank that they weren’t allowed to reboot our server. As a result this has impacted many members‘ not able to log into the site. So this morning the problem was solved in under a minute With more RAM and a simple reboot of our server

I hope all issues are resolved. If not please reach out in this thread.

Reactions: Re-tread and rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Members from both sides of the show added very enjoyable commentary and evidence throughout the days and nights. You sound pleased by the surplus of interest.

How sharp of an increase if you don't mind saying?

Steve Williams

Members from both sides of the show added very enjoyable commentary and evidence throughout the days and nights. You sound pleased by the surplus of interest.

How sharp of an increase if you don't mind saying?
Significant enough that we ran out of RAM and we had adequate amount prior to Munich

Reactions: rando

AudioAbe

Jun 10, 2021
UK
Hi Steve
I have noticed that the search option is down at the moment. Could this be related to the recent RAM issues?

Steve Williams

Here is a further followup of our elastisearch issues as well as members not being able to sig on. Last week we thought that we had the fix when we upped our RAM by an extra 6 GB's however it gave up the ghost today. as well as several members getting an error message and being unable to sign in.

Elastisearch is now once again operational as I added a further 4 GB's of RAM. Also our web host is optimizing our MYSQL for better caching. It appears we have several problems all of which has resulted from an overwhelming number of members who are pinging the site and using resources. It is a good thing to hear that our site has dramatically shown an increase in new members and existing members using the site. Also our Newsletter which is ported through our server is now reaching over 25,000 recipients and so many were opened and read almost simultaneously that we were running out of resources.

Hopefully with yet a total of 10 GB's of extra RAM and now with optimization of our MYSQL to allow for better caching the problem will resolve. However I would like to ask members that if they experience problems of any sort to use this thread to post their problems as our web host will be following any log errors to our server.

Thanks to all for your patience and understanding

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing