Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

System synergy is a big factor. Finding a single vendor that does everything so well and to your personal preferences is a winner in my book.

Next up the EMM Labs amps to complete the chain :) ?

Btw, I think you'll find that playing a physical CD on a system of your caliber will surpass even your amazing file playblack/streaming system.

I think we will see a resurgence of compact discs, especially at the high end, if we haven't already.

Looking forward to reading your updates.

Enjoy

I agree. The three EMM boxes are superb. Best digital I’ve heard. The PRE and DAC fool me at times. I begin to get out of my recliner to change the record but I’m streaming. So, the EMM combo with the Aurender N30 is great. The CDs though are like listening to the same songs at a different venue. Both the CDs and streaming are excellent, but presently I enjoy the CD venue a little more. (But the N30 won’t be fully broke in until app. the end of Feb).

I have some EMM monos coming in to try around the beginning of March or so. I really like the Pass Labs though. Amazing sound with the M3s. But possibly the EMM will identify some shortcomings of the Pass Labs - or maybe not. Won’t know until I try them. I’m also going to try some VAC and Boulder monos.

I to believe CDs will make a comeback. I’m up to around 2500 or so now.

Reactions: Yuen A. and Mdp632
We need Meitner to implement a 2 optilink input upgrade solution on the DA2v2

Reactions: Audire
Streaming just before sunrise

8378B57D-FF43-4D83-9ED7-0946E6F96421.jpeg

It would be nice if Aurender had a optilink connection as well. I think it would make the experience even better.

Hi,
Is any one using an aftermarket optical cable (other than Aural Symphonics) between the NS1 and DA2V2?
Are there any noticeable differences?

Also, I'm using a NUC running Rock with my music library on a 8TB HDD connected to the internal Sata port of the NUC. Both NUC and NS1 are connected to a SOTM Switch.
Is there better way of doing this?

Thanks

Hi folks,

Yet another dazzling, stunning recording - English Music for Strings : L Berkeley: Serenade for Strings; Bliss: Music for Strings; Bridge: Lament; Britten: Variations on a Theme of Frank Bridge, Sinfonia of London/John Wilson, Chandos CHSA 5264 (SACD)

The Sinfonia of London performs with great precision and beauty. Throughout the entire performances, the strong bass line provides a rock-solid foundation, with great textures, immediacy, and clarity. The strings are soulful and silky, just like the real thing!

One music reviewer's comments really hit the bull's eye, especially when heard via EMM Labs DA2 V2 /DV2: "First you hear the energetic PLUCKS, then you can virtually see the players DIG IN with their bows as Wilson gets things off to a bang-up start. If you have ever seen a string orchestra perform in concert, you are no doubt familiar with how the players really can become animated as they play, wielding their bows with both passion and precision. This recording lets you see that in your mind’s eye as they work their way through music by the four Bs of English music: Britten (1913-1976), Bridge (1879-1941), Berkeley (1903-1989), and Bliss (1891-1975)."

Reactions: marty
Hi,
Is any one using an aftermarket optical cable (other than Aural Symphonics) between the NS1 and DA2V2?
Are there any noticeable differences?

Also, I'm using a NUC running Rock with my music library on a 8TB HDD connected to the internal Sata port of the NUC. Both NUC and NS1 are connected to a SOTM Switch.
Is there better way of doing this?

Thanks

You are strongly advised to check which directionality sounds more correct on whichever st optical fibre cable you use.

Also, check the directionality of all the ethernet cables.

When you are doing comparisons, never repeat the same track again straight afterwards. If you pause a track, never resume play from where you previously paused.

What you should do is:
Play another track in the same album/folder briefly for 5-10 secs, exit the album/folder without stopping the music, go into another album/folder, play a track there briefly for 5-10 secs. Exit that 2nd album/folder and go back to the original 1st album/folder and play that track you want to play for comparison. The reason for doing this is to erase the memory of what you played, so that when you play that same track again, it will sound fresh, naturally opened, detailed, and dynamic as how you have heard it previously the first time. This is how you should do comparisons when using streaming to do cable comparisons.

Another thing: never play tracks that are encoded with different sampling rates consecutively one after another. The meither dacs are very very good, but even they can't eradicate the digititis that arise from sample rate changes. I first noticed this with the ns1 and da2v2 (it was the first combi that allowed me to play a variety of different sampling rates). But soon I was to discover that all forms of streaming devices/systems I tried regardless of make and prices are susceptible to this issue.

You are strongly advised to check which directionality sounds more correct on whichever st optical fibre cable you use.

Also, check the directionality of all the ethernet cables.
Hi,
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
How do I check the directional of the cables? The stock cable has no markings to show this. Or do I just do this by ear?

Thanks.

Hi folks,

Another great recording to acquire: Berlioz Requiem Grande Messe Des Morts, Antonio Pappano, Conductor, Concertgebouworkest (SACD).

The soundstage is wide and deep. The sounds are ravishing and immersive. The Concertgebouw acoustic faithfully captured. As for Pappano, he makes it all sound so effortless, ‘floating’. He is most impressive in the brass passages. A feeling of 'being there' is remarkable. Play it loud! A musical and sonic tour-de-force.

Dan Morgan, a classical music reviewer, rightly puts it: "A musical and sonic milestone; in short, a Requiem to die for."

are emm labs and playback designs tpt and dac components interchangeble via st optical connection?

meaning like using emm labs tpt and pbd dac, or pbd tpt into emm dacs?

Hi,
Thank you for your reply and suggestions.
How do I check the directional of the cables? The stock cable has no markings to show this. Or do I just do this by ear?

Thanks.

Sorry for late reply.

Yes, if the manufacturer did not mark the directionality, pre-determined by whatever means they use, then the only way we can discern which is the more correct directionality is by our own hearing.

I've discovered that of all the 7 - 8 different ST optical cables that I've tried, they all only sound best when connected in one particular direction and not the other.

The sonic differences manifest most specifically in soundstage size and height, plus imaging perspective.

It is not a subtle change.

One direction will have a bigger, wider soundstage. But the litmus test, is the height of the soundstage.

At times, with certain recordings, I find that venue ambience cues reach all the way to the ceiling.
Voices are full length human standing sizes.
Certain sound effects - like in the case of the jet plane in the intro of Paul Hardcastle's "19" is vividly carved into the fabrics of space 2.5metres high up from the floor.
Perspective wise, the entire soundscape and imaging within it are placed in the space behind speakers baffles.
Imaging might not be that etched with razor-sharp outlines, but they are stable enough to not make my brain work as hard trying to localise them in the soundstage.

The other direction I would describe as making the soundstage more coagulated into a small bubble towards the center, in front of the speakers, such that soundstage is perceived to be narrow and very, very low.
The perspective is in front of speaker baffles, the jet plane in 19 now only hovers at the speaker tweeter height.
For me that's a big come down.
Voices no longer stand tall, all seem to be sitting down.
Overall, it's hard to listen for long as the sense of ease and musical flow that Meitner products are famous for seems to sound impeded.

There are a couple of things you need to do while doing the comparisons:

First is - clean the tips at both ends of your ST optical cable with a piece of alcohol swap per tip. Lay the alcohol swap flat on a clean surface, and wipe the tip of the optical cable across the surface of the swap 2 to 3 times. Let the tip dry in about 30 secs before plugging into the input/output terminal. Remember to use alcohol swaps that are not too wet.

Second - ensure the track cueing method is EXACTLY the same.

For NS1 users, take note the following:

There are 2 issues that affect file playback/streaming:

1) when tracks within an album/folder play consecutively one after another, there is significant degradation of sound in the way soundstaging collaspe and many subtle musical details are not being reproduced. This problem arises due to memory retention in playback software/hardware. The way to avoid this problem is to play the last track in that same album/folder, then exit the album/folder before the current track ends, go to another album/folder to select a track to play it briefly (less than 10secs is ok) and then exit to go back to the original folder to play the subsequent track that comes next. By doing this, the subsequent track will sound open and dynamic with fully blosoomed soundstaging. OTOH, by allowing subsequent track to be played consecutively after one track ends, the subsequent track will sound dulled and closed-in, with a sense of impediment being introduced to the flow of musical ease. If one seeks to enjoy listening to an entire album from beginning to end with consistent sound quality, file playback / streaming is not ideal.

2) a lot of DACs have problem dealing with sampling rate changes as tracks with different sampling rates are played right after one and another. Frankly, I only began to notice this after upgrading to a streamer with higher res capability. Previously with a streamer that peaks out at 44.1khz when I play normal tidal files or tidal MQA files, that problem was never noticed. Its when hi-rez entered into the fold that's when the problem starts. I starts to hear audible artefacts when sampling rate changes, especially quite common when playing tracks from a recommended playlist. The problem with Tidal is that, even within an entire studio album by an artiste, there could possibly with sample rate changes! I notice this happening with both the meitner dacs, with some blu-ray players streaming files off storage devices, and with soundbars streaming from Tidal/Qobuz. I can only conclude that this is possibly, an industry-wide problem affecting all forms, and regardless of prices on all those digital streaming capable products I've tried.

Taking note of the above mentioned issues, to ensure the same consistency each time during comparisons, it is important never to pause a track, and resume play from where you last left off, or to play the same track again consecutively. Doing so will affect the soundstaging height and size dramatically. The way to achieve same consistency is play the last track in that same album/folder, then exit the album/folder before the track ends, go to another album/folder to select a track to play it briefly (less than 10secs is ok) and then exit to go back to the original folder to play the original test track. It is important at this juncture to use tracks of the same sampling rates (never create new problem by forcing the dac to switch between different sampling rates). By doing this, you will have alleviated the detrimental effects of playback memory retention, and that test track will sound open and dynamic with fully blosoomed soundstaging just like you previously heard it.

For optical transport users:

All optical disc transports will yield vastly different sound sound depending on how a track is cue up and played.
And they are adversely affected by playback memory retention.
The EMM Labs transports are no different.

For this purpose, if you have the TX2 transport, this is what is recommended while doing sound comparisons:

1) choose music tracks which are the 1st track on any of the disc you want to play.
2) refresh transport servo playback memory before starting play.
3) avoid using remote control (hence, the need to only use track 1)

Refreshing transport servo playback memory:
- remove disc from transport.
- power off the dac
- power off the transport via the rear panel rocker switch. (Even better if you could further power off at the main switch).
- power up the transport. let it search and settle fully.
- open tray, load disc, close the tray.
- let transport read toc and fully settle.
- power up the dac and let it freshly lock on to the input data stream.
- press [play] using the button on the front panel of transport (avoid using remote).

ensure that the above method of cueing up the test track to play is exactly the same after each change of cable direction.

This is to ensure, first, you will get optimum sound performance and exactly that same quality every time.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

This one is for lover of a cappella music: Alpha & Omega, Cappella Nova, Choral Music by James MacMillan, Linn SACD. The recording/performances are first rate - atmospheric yet clear.

Listen especially to track 10: Domine non secundum peccata nostra. This piece was written to mark the 500th anniversary of St John’s College, Cambridge, and is dedicated to the college’s Director of Music, Andrew Nethsingha. The piece incorporates an obbligato violin, beautifully and soulfully played by Madeleine Mitchell. Through my sound system, the violin sounded so sweet and sad!

Hi guys,

Buy this: Beethoven Symphony No. 9, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Manfred Honeck, Music Director, Reference Recordings SACD.

In my opinion, this is the best or one of the best Beethoven Symphony No. 9 ever recorded (in DSD256), performed (first-rate), and interpreted (Honeck generates much drama and involvement!) I was transported to Heinz Hall (play loud). The soundstage is huge and wide. Every instrument (including the timpani) has great clarity, texture, and immediacy.

Reactions: john925
Hi guys,

Today, I gave Manfred Honeck's Beethoven Symphony No. 9 a relisten and at a louder volume than before and it continues to impress me with its thrilling, goosebumps inducing tempos. Even at fortissimo there was no hint of compression or digital hardness!

Our EMM Labs and Aurender N30 and the rest of our system is now broken in. The DA2V2 DAC by itself is over the top great. Life-like sound. Unbelievable that a DAC may be this good. When paired with the EMM PRE the synergy IMO is unbeatable. You’re at the venue. And the EMM CD transport is so very, very good. The EMM Trio makes for a very good high end set up. Back to listening ….

Our EMM Labs and Aurender N30 and the rest of our system is now broken in. The DA2V2 DAC by itself is over the top great. Life-like sound. Unbelievable that a DAC may be this good. When paired with the EMM PRE the synergy IMO is unbeatable. You’re at the venue. And the EMM CD transport is so very, very good. The EMM Trio makes for a very good high end set up. Back to listening ….

The TX2 transport is so much better sonically than the TSDX.

Its operation is also much more stable.

In the past I've mentioned about the TSDX's issue with breaking sync (before the start of a track) when the transport is freshly powered up and playing RBCDs. The TX2 don't have this issue, so I get optimum sound with RBCDs.

(The reason why the transport have to be power down/re-powered up is to clear out residual playback memory, and so whatever reasons, when dacs lost sync mid stream, there is usually some audible sonic degradation)

Last edited:
Oh shite.

Is there polarity switch function on the TX2?

Their website list it as yes.

The operating manual list it as yes also.

But there is no indication on the LCD display.

How can know for sure which polarity the transport is on at that moment?

Last edited:
Oh shite.

Is there polarity switch function on the TX2?

Their website list it as yes.

The operating manual list it as yes also.

But there is no indication on the LCD display.

How can know for sure which polarity the transporat is on at that moment?

Yes, there is a polarity switch on the TX2. You can see it on the remote. From the bottom left, second button up. It will momentarily trigger a light on the bottom right of the TX2 display. (top shelf)

On the DA2V2 (bottom shelf) there is a selection called Polarity (Bottom row second from the left). It will highlight when you use the DA2V2 remote, but not when using the TX2 remote. However, on the TX2 remote (top right) there is a button called DAC. If you select this and then select Polarity it will highlight the Polarity light on the DAC, but not on the SACD (there is no Polarity light on the Transport).

Hope it’s not too confusing. …:p

E6FC4E3A-2683-4B71-9D6D-152BCF664858.jpeg

5B19E192-A31E-4C68-A6BE-75E40381A575.jpeg

Last edited:
This is the reply I got

Screenshot-20220225-091232-Messenger.jpg

Screenshot-20220225-091301-Messenger.jpg

What do you think?

Is this person who is replying on the behalf of his company an imbecile or what?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing