Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I am re-evaluating my thinking on upstream sources with the NS1 (with Optimism cable)+DA2 v2. I'm curious if others have found some improvements upstream of the NS1, or in place of the NS1.

Last year when I received my NS1 I compared using my Innous Zenith MKIII as a server via Shunyata Sigma ethernet cable, with just attaching a USB hard drive to the NS1, and the USB drive won by a hair. If memory serves, I also tried inserting Uptone Etherregen and LPS 1.2 between the Innous and NS1, and it actually sounded worse. It's almost not worth mentioning that the NS1 was better than Zenith+Phoenix into the DA2 USB. I concluded that the USB hard drive was the best I could do and that a dedicated server was of no use because of the optical isolation.

Recently, I actually tried adding some iFi USB isolators (iGalvanic 3.0 and iPurifier 3) I had laying around, plus my Shunyata Sigma USBS and some Q45T between my Seagate USB hard drive and NS1. Lo and behold, more detail, contrast, dynamics, and less noise. My thinking is that any USB or ethernet input to the NS1 does have the ability to inject clock noise into the streamer, and electrical noise into the power system (esp through the USB 5v power wire).

The only downside of my setup is a slight artificial sheen that I'm guessing comes from the iFi reclockers. Now I am interested if there are even better ways to clean up the electrical noise and clocking upstream of the NS1, whether network or USB.

I never tried a NS1 so I can’t comment upon it. For a streamer I chose the Aurender N30SA. The N20 would get you really close to the N30 and costs less. It integrates wonderfully with the DA2V2 DAC.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1657439044920.png

Fauré & Duruflé: Requiems​

Miah Persson (soprano), Malena Ernman (mezzo-soprano), Olle Persson (baritone), Mattias Wager (organ)
Swedish Radio Choir, Fredrik Malmberg
BIS SACD1206 (44.1 kHz, 24 bit)

Despite the fact that this is a 44.1 kHz, 24 bit recording, the voices here sounded heavenly, beautiful, pure, and heartbreaking. The pipe-organ sounded like the real thing via my Magico M2 and Q-Sub 15!

Last edited:

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1657521123497.png

George GERSHWIN (1898-1937) Piano Concerto in F (1925) [33:04]
Rhapsody in Blue (1924) [16:32] Second Rhapsody (1931) [15:20]
I Got Rhythm Variations for Piano and Orchestra (1934) [8:29]
Freddy Kempf (piano) Bergen Philharmonic/Andrew Litton
BIS-SACD-1940

This is one of the most idiomatic Gershwin recordings.

1657522577866.png

Gershwin: Piano Concerto in F, Rhapsody in Blue, Cuban Overture, Jon Nakamatsu, piano, Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra Jeff TYZIK , conductor, harmonia mundi sacd HMU 807441

To me, this is the best Gershwin Piano Concerto in F! The recording is up-close, the soundstage was huge and all instruments sounded alive, especially the brass with the 'blatt' one hears at the concert halls. The drum sounded huge and resonant. The strings had that natural 'sheen'.

Last edited:

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1657604829856.png

GERSHWIN: Rhapsody in Blue. Piano Concerto in F. Prelude No. 2.
Michel Camilo, pianist; Barcelona Symphony Orch/Ernest Martinez, cond.
TELARC SACD 63611 (EMM Labs Analog to Digital Converter)

I think this Gershwin SACD is the most dynamic, transparent, impactful, clear and presence of the lot. However, I wish for more ambience from the recording.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1657782438373.png

Dvorak: Cello Concerto, Symphonic Variations, Pieter Wispelwey (cello) Budapest Festival Orchestra Ivan Fischer (conductor)
Channel Classics CCS SA 25807 (EMM Labs DSD Analog to Digital Converter)

Wow, a very impressive, electrifying and distinguished live performances by Wispelwey and the Budapest orchestra! Wispelwey was extremely lyrical and intensive here. The recording is also first-rate. The cello and the orchestra sounded alive and presence. The tone color (timbre) of the strings, the woodwinds and the brass were extremely lifelike at the fortissimo level. The soundstage was huge. (Listening Volume: -22 dB of maximum volume)

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1657868646224.png

Handel: Dixit Dominus & Caldara: Missa Dolorosa

Deutsche Harmonia Mundi SACD LC00761

"The superb Balthasar-Neumann Choir possess laudable clarity and precision. The soprano duet ‘De torrente’ is ideally hushed and plaintive. The orchestra is magnificent, with the contrast between first and second violins presented in thrilling SACD sound" (Gramophone classical music reviews).

The recording is truly superb, transparent, airy, immediate and with a good sense of space. The timbres of the strings especially were lifelike.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1657951583160.png

Franz LISZT (1811-1886)
Piano concerto no.1 in E flat major, Malédiction for piano and strings, Piano concerto no.2 in A major,
Alexandre Kantorow (piano), Tapiola Sinfonietta/Jean-Jacques Kantorow BIS BIS-2100 SACD

Wow, What a fantastic performance by the extremely talented Alexandre Kantorow! All the glitter and drama was there. But also lyricism and sensitivity. His piano sounded percussive, huge, very presence, heavy and strong, dynamic and pitch-perfect. The piano's overtones sounded rich and pure. The Tapiola Sinfonietta performance was also first-rate and with great precision. The cellos and double basses dig deep and strong and presence. The woodwinds were airy and pure. The brass was lifelike. The ambient of the hall could be clearly heard. There was a real sense of space.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1658123177626.png

Franz Liszt Piano Concerto No.1 in E flat major; Piano Concerto No.2 in A major; Totentanz. Arnaldo Cohen (piano),
São Paulo Symphony Orchestra/John Neschling (BIS SACD-1530)

Another excellent performances by the exceptional Liszt pianist Arnaldo Cohen! His playing here was virtuosic, dynamic, passionate, impressive, spirited, crisp, sensitive, tender, sparkling, and crystal clear. The accompaniment from the Sao Paulo Symphony was intensive. The recording by BIS was totally transparent.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1658302838994.png

Trio Zimmermann plays Mozart’s Divertimento​

Trio Zimmermann: Frank Peter Zimmermann (violin), Antoine Tamestit (viola) & Christian Poltéra (cello)
  • Catalogue No: BIS SACD1817
Performance and recording are first-rate! There was a real sense of space and hall. Ravishing tonal colors, with bloom and lucidity.

Reactions: Audire

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1658387660085.png

Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, Mariss Jansons

• Catalogue No: RCO09004
From Enjoy the Music.com: "It is, in a word, sensational -- the best-sounding recording of Pictures I have heard from the digital era. The fabulous virtuosity of the Concertgebouw -- like the CSO one of the world's very greatest ensembles -- fills my listening room with the stunning brass, gorgeously expressive strings, characterful woodwinds and startlingly powerful percussion so typical of this band. With a huge, dimensional soundstage and extraordinary dynamic range, this live concert recording from 2008 is about as good as it gets from a commercial SACD release." - Wayne Donnelly

I agree with most of Wayne Donnelly opinions, although I am not completely satisfied with the closing "Great Gate at Kiev" . One more thing, the drums were awesome and sounded like the real thing at the Concertgebouw via my sound system!

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I'm a fan of the marvelous Pictures at an exhibition from Moussorsgky in the Ravel orchestra version. I do have a vinyl approx 1978 at the Concertgebouw with Colin Davis as conductor, it's a pleasant version but I suppose that It can't compete with the recent one you linked. If you confirm that the Janson's performance Is special I'll look for a purchase...
Hope that my old Emmlabs SACD player will do a good work with it!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
I'm a fan of the marvelous Pictures at an exhibition from Moussorsgky in the Ravel orchestra version. I do have a vinyl approx 1978 at the Concertgebouw with Colin Davis as conductor, it's a pleasant version but I suppose that It can't compete with the recent one you linked. If you confirm that the Janson's performance Is special I'll look for a purchase...
Hi,

Yes, I think you would love the rich and ravishing tonal colors, especially from the brass and the woodwinds!

Reactions: analyzer

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have more than 10 various performances...not all orchestral...organ, original piano as well as orchestral. Ashkenazy, Stowkowski, Gergiev, Ormandy, Brendel, Liebowitz, Maazel, Reiner, von Karajan to name some of them. My favorite of all is Tugan Sokhiev...masterful and also masterfully recorded/mastered.

Last edited:
Reactions: rando and Audire

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1658473508561.png

Ravel: Daphnis et Chloé - Suite No. 2 / Pavane pour une infante défunte / La Valse / Ma Mère l'Oye / Boléro​

Paavo Järvi (Conductor), Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra Telarc SACD 60601 (This SACD was recorded using the EMM Labs DSD ADC)

Wow, this SACD is breathtaking, atmospheric, beautiful, sublime, delicate, totally transparent, pure, very dynamic. The bass drum sounded awesome and resonant, plentiful of presence in the brass, woodwinds and percussion. The acoustic of the Music Hall, Cincinnati, is well captured by the recording team.

Attachments

• 1658473419406.png
    1658473419406.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: rando

analyzer

VIP/Donor
May 20, 2016
Torino - Italy
I have more than 10 various performances...not all orchestral...organ, original piano as well as orchestral. Ashkenazy, Stowkowski, Gergiev, Ormandy, Brendel, Liebowitz, Maazel, Reiner, von Karajan to name some of them. My favorite of all is Tugan Sokhiev...masterful and also masterfully recorded/mastered.

Thank you very much! I'll search for this performance.
All the best
Marco

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1658559439946.png

Rimsky Korsakov: Scheherazade, Op. 35​

Toronto Symphony Orchestra, Peter Oundjian
Chandos CHSA 5145

A very passionate and affectionate reading of the work by Peter Oundjian! The dynamics at fortissimo were explosive and no distortion. Clarity was remarkable, even amazing as when the solo violin first enters (Jonathan Crow's violin sounded so sweet, heartbreaking and presence). Precision was first-rate. The brass sounded spectacular. In fact, every instrument here sounded so right! This recording captures the rich and vibrant sonorities with great fidelity and presence. (Listening Volume: -22dB of maximum volume)

Reactions: marty

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thank you very much! I'll search for this performance.
All the best
Marco
Do let me know what you think. No ego about this but it is my definitive 'go to' for this piece which ranks as one of my favorite of all time. While, among classical, I listen to Bach most, then Handel and Haydn...Mussorgsky Pictures has a special ranking.

2Windows

Sep 20, 2020
I was reading the review of dac meitner ma3 in stereophile, and it was mentioned that there will be a new version of dac emm labs da2 and meitner too, just like there was with the dac of dcs (apex), are you aware of this? do you have any information about this?

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
I was reading the review of dac meitner ma3 in stereophile, and it was mentioned that there will be a new version of dac emm labs da2 and meitner too, just like there was with the dac of dcs (apex), are you aware of this? do you have any information about this?
Hi, Yes, we are aware of the upcoming upgrades. Most probably it will be available by the end of the year or early next year. That will be something to look forward to!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1659420133260.png

Nordic Rhapsody Christian SINDING (1856-1941)
Suite im alten Stil, Op 10 [12.12]
Wilhelm STENHAMMAR (1871-1927)
Two Sentimental Romances, Op 28 [11.28]
Jean SIBELIUS (1865-1957)
Souvenir, Tanz-Idylle & Berceuse from Six Pieces, Op 79 [10.21]
Carl NIELSEN (1865-1931)
Romance in D major, CNW 61[3.03]
Einojuhani RAUTAVAARA (1928-2016)
Notturno e danza (1993) [8.18]
Edvard GRIEG (1843-1907)
Violin Sonata No 1 in F major, Op 8 [21.31]
Johan Dalene (violin)
Christian Ihle Hadland (piano)
Culturum, Nyköpping, Sweden, September 2020
BIS BIS-2560 SACD

Everything you ever wants of a great recording is here: virtuosity, macro and micro dynamics, physicality, immediacy, live-sounding, wonderful hall acoustic, sweetness, musicality, accurate timbres.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing