Emm labs DA2 v2 upgrade

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1673241536709.png

RACHMANINOV All-Night Vigil (Vespers), Op. 37 Latvian Radio Choir/Sigvards Klava
St John’s Church, Riga ONDINE ODE 1206-5 SACD

This is a deeply affecting choral music! The performances are dynamically and beautifully modulated. The sound is lifelike and resonant. The low bass especially made it easy to hear the ambience of the recording venue. I was transported! Play very loud.

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
Hi, Ian.
It’s a bit of a compromise here. The NS1 can only send up to DSD64 to DA2 via the optical link. But it is the best way to feed the DA2. Zenith can send up to DSD512 or even 1024 I guess, but the USB output is noisy. So what is the proper way to use the full potential of the DA2 and not being limited in PCM(DXD) and DSD ratio. USB to AES/SPDIF reclockers can’t help. May be the antipodes S20 with I2S output, but the DA2 does not have the proper input. So it’s only the USB to USB reclocker like Phoenix, but as I understood you’ve tried it and it was not that good?
Correct. Short of a Taiko Extreme, I don't think you can get USB to sound that good, whatever you do. What I am doing now is trying to prevent any USB SSD noise from getting into my system, via mains and ground, but I've removed it from any direct connection to the DAC.

To be honest, I think even AES from the NS1 sounds better than USB from Innuos etc.

I was told some time ago that EMM Labs would eventually update the optilink to support DSD128 and DXD.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1673591385211.png

Pärt Passio Helsinki Chamber Choir, Nils Schweckendiek BIS 2612 SACD

This is one of the most hyper-real and immersive vocal recordings! The ambience of the hall is awesome. The instruments (including the organ) sounded alive and real. Gramophone rightly says: "What impresses me immediately about this new recording is the lustrous depth of the sound of the choir and solo singers, which brings out every dissonance and resolution almost forensically."

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
1673935348438.png

Beethoven: Symphony No.9 Christina Landshamer (soprano), Jennifer Johnson Cano (mezzo-soprano), Werner Güra (tenor), Shenyang (bass-baritone), Mendelssohn Choir of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra, Manfred Honeck Reference Recording - 741 SACD (Revisited)

This is a superlative performance of great beauty, transparency, precision, tenderness, intensity, and verging on the maniacal in the finale. The sound is palpable, extremely dynamic (the fortissimos were explosive) and of great warmth and depth.

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
With all due respect, this thread is titled as being about the EMM Labs DA2 v2 upgrade but many of the posts are reviews of digital recordings. These music reviews are appreciated but would seem to be of more value if shared in another properly titled and categorized thread.

Reactions: gfroman

John T

Feb 15, 2022
Correct. Short of a Taiko Extreme, I don't think you can get USB to sound that good, whatever you do. What I am doing now is trying to prevent any USB SSD noise from getting into my system, via mains and ground, but I've removed it from any direct connection to the DAC.

To be honest, I think even AES from the NS1 sounds better than USB from Innuos etc.

I was told some time ago that EMM Labs would eventually update the optilink to support DSD128 and DXD.
Don't hold your breath!

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
With all due respect, this thread is titled as being about the EMM Labs DA2 v2 upgrade but many of the posts are reviews of digital recordings. These music reviews are appreciated but would seem to be of more value if shared in another properly titled and categorized thread.

Hi, Thank you for the suggestion. Point taken. However, when I am describing the sound quality of a recording, I am also describing the sound quality of the EMM Labs DA2/DV2 as well.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
EMM Labs DA2 V2 Reference Stereo DAC ($30,000) | Review

Michael Lavorgna writes :

"Ed Meitner, the man behind EMM Labs, has had more than a hand in the development of digital audio since its beginnings. So it’s no wonder his DA2 sits at the top of my favorite digital gear of 2022."

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I'm trying out these Ansuz DTC2 interconnects and DTC PowerBox in my system - EMM DV2>>>>>Rowland 925 amps.
Retail for these are obscene, but I got them for a huge discount used.
So far I am hearing spooky imaging and my speakers seem to disappear....

Attachments

• ansuz6.jpg
    ansuz6.jpg
    904.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Ansuz_DTC_powerbox_cables_1000px copy.jpg
    Ansuz_DTC_powerbox_cables_1000px copy.jpg
    619.3 KB · Views: 3
Reactions: Yuen A. and Audire

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
I'm trying out these Ansuz DTC2 interconnects and DTC PowerBox in my system - EMM DV2>>>>>Rowland 925 amps.
Retail for these are obscene, but I got them for a huge discount used.
So far I am hearing spooky imaging and my speakers seem to disappear....
Please describe the differences in sound from your old cables? Thanks.

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
Imaging seems to have jumped significantly.
Better focus with pinpoint separation of vocals and each instrument.
This could be in part from a much lower noise floor?

Reactions: Audire

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Imaging seems to have jumped significantly.
Better focus with pinpoint separation of vocals and each instrument.
This could be in part from a much lower noise floor?

Hi, Yes, I am quite certain that the truly extraordinary resolution and the highest level of uncolored musical accuracy (timbre, dynamics, soundstaging, etc.) that resulted from the inclusion of the Ansuz Acoustics D-TC2/D-TC Supreme and the PowerBox are due mainly to the lower noise floor. I am using the Ansuz Acoustics D-TC Supreme interconnects and the D-TC PowerBox (grounding), the latest model.

1678497732301.png

Reactions: gfroman and Audire

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi guys, From my personal experience, having three or four highest resonance control footers under the the EMM Labs DA2/DV2 will also dramatically improve the audio quality of your sound system.

Reactions: gfroman and Audire

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
I agree!
I am currently using (4) Arya Audio RevoPods under my DV2 with great success.

krell600

Apr 18, 2022
Has anyone heard when they will be releasing the v3 software for the DA2?

A friend has the dCS Rossini which I tried when I was looking to upgrade my DAC last year. In my system, the DA2 v2 easily beat it with its uncanny 3D realism and space between notes. The dCS presentation had more weight, but was a little sterile ultimately. Well, my friend had the APEX upgrade done and now it beats the DA2 v2. The sterile presentation I first heard is gone and it now has similar 3D soundstage with blacker background. I felt the former Vivaldi was very close to the DA2, but now I would imagine it handily beats out the DA2. It seems EMM would be rushing the v3 update in order to compete with the newly released DACs.

Thoughts?

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012
EMM Labs told me there would be a software update for the DV2, probably end of the year.

Reactions: Yuen A.

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Has anyone heard when they will be releasing the v3 software for the DA2?

A friend has the dCS Rossini which I tried when I was looking to upgrade my DAC last year. In my system, the DA2 v2 easily beat it with its uncanny 3D realism and space between notes. The dCS presentation had more weight, but was a little sterile ultimately. Well, my friend had the APEX upgrade done and now it beats the DA2 v2. The sterile presentation I first heard is gone and it now has similar 3D soundstage with blacker background. I felt the former Vivaldi was very close to the DA2, but now I would imagine it handily beats out the DA2. It seems EMM would be rushing the v3 update in order to compete with the newly released DACs.

Thoughts?

Hi Guys,

Just to share: (1) A well known and respected American high-end Hi-Fi equipment reviewer with whom I correspond frequently still prefer the current EMM Las DA2 V2 to the DCS Apex. (2) However, I will be expecting major updates to the EMM Labs DA2/DV2 this year.

Reactions: john925

Yuen A.

Jan 4, 2018
Hi, Just sharing. Jason Victor Serinus writes regarding AXPONA 2023 (Stereophile.com Apr 24, 2023): "Another Wow from Credo Audio Switzerland, EMM Labs ... Credo Audio Switzerland's Cinema LTM loudspeakers ($199,995/pair) may have towered above all else, but the gear from EMM Labs and their lower priced Meitner Audio line, van den Hul, VPI Industries, and DS Audio displayed in another "give it all you've got" large room was nothing to scoff at. Though I've grown tired of the overblown sound on Gary Karr's LP, Adagio di Albinoni, I was awed by the midrange beauty of Sarah Barreles's voice on a 24/88.2 file of "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road." The recorded sound of this live performance seemed uncannily real, and the soundstage was awesome."

Reactions: krell600

parnass

Feb 3, 2021
does anyone have experience using shunyata omega ethernet for NS1 (I'm currently using sigma and considering upgrading)

Ian B

Oct 19, 2020
does anyone have experience using shunyata omega ethernet for NS1 (I'm currently using sigma and considering upgrading)
I'd like to hear about this as well. Also using the Shunyata Sigma. I didn't actually notice a big difference between stock cable and Sigma with the NS1 (at least using optilink cable). But I'm finding that the Shunyata CMODE filters seem to effect my system holistically, and give a little more analog-like feel.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing