EMT JPA66

kodomo

Apr 26, 2017
How about the 1.1mV VdH MS Sig. Strad? Wouldn't that work well with the input 1?

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
How about the 1.1mV VdH MS Sig. Strad? Wouldn't that work well with the input 1?
Normally it should work though I haven’t tried. The Input 1 was marked with a sensitivity to 1mv output. I drive MSL PL with 0.5mv and the gain is not enough but not incredibly weak. I assume if we double the output, it should be fine.

Tang and others should have a real world experience With MS Sig. Strad.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
My 1.1 mv Vdh plays more dynamically lively with the other inputs.

Ovenmitt

Nov 21, 2017
Although I haven't tried it myself, I think input 1 is more for some of the higher impedance/medium output EMT cartridges: JSD Platinum, etc - https://www.emt-tontechnik.ch/cartridges/jsd-p6.0

I wonder if anyone here has tried the pairing? Maybe airbearing?

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
My 1.1 mv Vdh plays more dynamically lively with the other inputs.
Hi Tang,

I had some exchanges with EMT about the tubes of the JPA66. They told me that the 12AX7 tubes are not necessarily dedicated to any input. The phono signal comes into the SUTs for a step up and then goes into the amplification route with all the tubes. Therefore I understand the tubes are an amplification “passage”, maybe something like level 1 and level 2 amplification.

EMT did mention that the stock tubes are labeled from 1 to 8 and the 1 and 2 are the most sensitive. Since my unit is a used one, replaced by Mullard already, I cannot read which one is 1 and which is 8.

If you or anyone happens to notice the numbers on the stock tubes, could you share the 1 starts from left or right when facing the front panel of the unit?

Dave777tx

Sep 8, 2023
Texas
View attachment 71291

I got a chance to try an EMT JPA66, such a beautiful piece. Just love the vintage look, the meters, everything. Sound wise, to my surprise, it doesn’t have an overwhelming “tube sound”. Instead, it is transparent, fast and creates good sound stage and details. It doesn’t produce too much lower octave tones but the sound is very very natural, music flows. I’m using MSL platinum into MSL 1030 to its Input 3/mm, Allnic Amber into its Input 2, with gain almost cranked up to the max, London Reference into Input 4/mm with capacitor value adjustment.

I have to turn up the volume between 5-10db higher compared to my Allnic H-8000, depending on the cart. The Input 4/mm gain seems to be low and I have to turn up to volume pretty big to give London Reference a proper amplification. With Amber into Input 2, the high gain MC input, JPA66 could really drive it very well.

I have a few questions, hoping that someone here can help. There’s not too much information and user experiences shared on the internet.

1. Can someone tell me how those tubes are functioned? There’re 6 12AX7, in 3 pairs (seemingly) and a pair of ECC99 which is quite rare model. I only use the phono part of the unit, does it mean some of those tubes are of no use to me, and which ones?

2. The 12AX7 is quite easy to find if tube rolling while ECC99 is very rare. I can only find the JJ ECC99. Is there any substitute model of ECC99?

3. The Input 1 is marked 1mv, 200ohm -50%/+100%. It should mean I can set the load impedance from 100ohm to 400ohm, isn’t it? However the gain is very low. Even if I use a cart such as MSL PL with 0.5mv, it still doesn’t have enough volume unless I turn up the knob of volume on my pre very very high.

4. If I use a STUP, can I also use it into Input 4/mm and how should I put the capacitor load, into “normal”?

5. To Input 3 and 4, there’re still knobs to adjust load but they should be fixed at 47k ohm?

6. From The appearance, how I can tell it is a MK1 or 2 or others?

Thanks in advance...
Man it seems you have an amazing set up And really know about TT and phono stage lines
I am in the process to start my TT system. I am getting a Tech Das Air Force III, probably MSL Gold or Platinum, I like Etsuro Gold but am lost with the phono line stage. Vanderhul is my first option, but I’d like to see if phasemation is a better option? Airtight? Allnic? Can you share some info about sonic characteristics? Moshi an option? Thanks

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Man it seems you have an amazing set up And really know about TT and phono stage lines
I am in the process to start my TT system. I am getting a Tech Das Air Force III, probably MSL Gold or Platinum, I like Etsuro Gold but am lost with the phono line stage. Vanderhul is my first option, but I’d like to see if phasemation is a better option? Airtight? Allnic? Can you share some info about sonic characteristics? Moshi an option? Thanks
Hi Dave,

Sorry for the delayed reply. I don’t login often.

Congrats to the AF3, which is an amazing table. AF3 also gives you enough versatility in trying 4 arms and carts combos with the 4 mounting positions. The carts you listed are quite different in style, output level, Imp. I own most of them except Airtight.

MSL Platinum has a high output level over 0.5mv and it sounds quite “modern”, fast, analytical, some say a bit “digital”, depending on your taste.

Etsuro Gold is the most expensive but it provides a good amount of details and very beautiful tones, I’d call it sweat.

VDH has a variety of different output/imp carts. I have the Colibri Plat., which I like very much. It is a bit sensitive to noise and hum due to its high imp design and structure. But once you get it right, it has the most beautiful and nimble tremble and also full-blood bottom.

Allnic Amber is a good cart, quite energetic and open, straight forward sound. I’d call it the most neutral among the carts you listed. But it may lack a bit charisma and sophistication to some.

Choice of carts is a choice of your personal flavor while phono stage is better decided based on the carts you choose.

Hope it helps.

SZ

Reactions: Birdwatcher

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing