Etsuro Urushi Bordeaux in the house

@jazdoc Do you find Fuuga signature contrasting (compare to Bordeaux) enough to keep it around.

The Fuuga is a great all around SOTA cartridge. In my system, it's chief advantage is that it does everything really well and has no sins of commission (which in my opinion are usually worse than sins of omission). To use a baseball analogy, the Fuuga is the Garrett Anderson of high end cartridges. Not hall of famer but a perennial All Star. You can listen for long stretches without fatigue and if the Fuuga was my final cartridge, I would be very happy.

The Bordeaux and Gold share a family 'sound'. In my system, meticulous set up can yield spectacular results. Both are more dynamic and 'quicker' than the Fuuga, which by comparison has a slightly more 'tubey' presentation. While the Gold definitely has more LF extension and texture than the Bordeaux, I'm not sure I prefer the Gold to the Bordeaux. Paraphrasing a recent visitor "the Bordeaux is for fans of the more expensive van den Hul cartridge sound who may be put off by a perceived aggressive top end".

Hope this helps.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing