Favourite "SIMPLE" sandwich!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Smoked Salmon isn't just for bagels with cream cheese, onions and capers.

You are right. If I have a tree lose some bark, I nail up a piece of smoked salmon to cover up where the bark is missing. Really well-cooked roast beef (and I mean rare to ever so slightly medium rare) is hard to find in many cities. Many places only sell well-done roast beef which I could also nail up to a tree that is missing some bark. A rare roast beef sandwich piled on pumpernickel bread with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, and thinly sliced red onion with mayo is tough to beat.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
You are right. If I have a tree lose some bark, I nail up a piece of smoked salmon to cover up where the bark is missing. Really well-cooked roast beef (and I mean rare to ever so slightly medium rare) is hard to find in many cities. Many places only sell well-done roast beef which I could also nail up to a tree that is missing some bark. A rare roast beef sandwich piled on pumpernickel bread with provolone cheese, lettuce, tomato, and thinly sliced red onion with mayo is tough to beat.

Tell me about it. It took me some time to find a place that consistently has the rare to med/rare available. And best of all...it's a 5-minute walk from my place.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
If you want a sub made from really low-grade lunch meats and terrible yeasty tasting breads, Subway is your dream come true. Every time I go to Philly or south Jersey, I'm always amazed that Subway could even open up a store and stay in business.
I think there is an art to making a sub sandwich subpar and tasteless and subway has mastered it! How could fresh baked bread be so lousy for heaven's sake? In our area the chain that makes decent subs is "Jimmy John's." Huge step up from subway. Quizno's is not bad either but they overfranchised and some of them near us have gone out of business.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
To me, a "simple sandwich" is composed of any number of things that I don't have to cook in order to make the sandwich. Anything in the refrigerator I can pile onto a Kaiser roll or rye bread is fair game for a simple sandwich, and that does NOT preclude a protein that is already hot and ready to go.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I think there is an art to making a sub sandwich subpar and tasteless and subway has mastered it! How could fresh baked bread be so lousy for heaven's sake? In our area the chain that makes decent subs is "Jimmy John's." Huge step up from subway. Quizno's is not bad either but they overfranchised and some of them near us have gone out of business.

I think part of the problem is due to the yeast they use and how much of it they use. When bread is baking, you shouldn't just smell the yeast. That is all I ever smell with Subway bread. Sometimes when I walk past a Subway like in an airport, the smell of that yeasty bread cooking makes me nauseous.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
To me, a "simple sandwich" is composed of any number of things that I don't have to cook in order to make the sandwich. Anything in the refrigerator I can pile onto a Kaiser roll or rye bread is fair game for a simple sandwich, and that does NOT preclude a protein that is already hot and ready to go.

Agree 100%! Nothing better than a late night snack and a walk to see what your fridge has available for consumption. I can pretty much make a sandwich out of anything.......

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Gary, some people are so quick at making a hot sandwich that they'll make two by the time you make a cold one! :b
{Are microwaves part of this thread?}

* Music lovers are usually good at making some of the best sandwiches.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Gary, some people are so quick at making a hot sandwich that they'll make two by the time you make a cold one! :b

Have another toke, Bob!:p

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Chicken liver sandwich/mayo on whatever bread you like.

Yikes! Another "head for the hills" sandwich for me. I know some people just love chicken livers and gizzards, and some like them deep fried, but I would go on a hunger strike/diet if I had to eat them. That's what makes us all different though.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Not a fan of it either, but I do like Pâté . Not sure if I would enjoy it with Mayo though. You only live once, so maybe I'll give it a try.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
{Are microwaves part of this thread?}

Where do we draw the line between simple and complex sandwiches?

The OP said a TOASTER was allowed.

A hamburger patty can be thrown in a pan or on an IR burner, cooked in a few minutes and tossed on a plain bun. Is that a still a simple sandwich?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Chicken liver sandwich/mayo on whatever bread you like.

Chopped liver sandwich [that's chicken liver, not beef liver] with lettuce and tomato on a roll, rye bread or pumpernickel, with or without a combo with roast beef, corned beef, pastrami or turkey is yummy. I never tried it with mayo.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Sounds as if it should be served to detainees in Gitmo!!!

You haven't lived until you have had a great chopped liver sandwich. You may need to travel to a New York deli.

It ISN'T chopped, ground up and cooked like browned ground beef and served. It's combined with onion, finely chopped hard boiled eggs, chicken fat (schmaltz) salt and pepper and gribenes (fried crispy chicken skin that has had the fat rendered out-the Jewish/kosher equivalent of pork rinds). It's all ground through a mix master grinder and sauteed. Usually served cold, but I like it warm or cold. YUMM!

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A simple sandwich is about the food you have at hand (although the bread can be toasted).

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Chopped liver sandwich [that's chicken liver, not beef liver] with lettuce and tomato on a roll, rye bread or pumpernickel, with or without a combo with roast beef, corned beef, pastrami or turkey is yummy. I never tried it with mayo.

It's been a while, but some minced red onion in that chopped chick liver and mayo. Tomato, lettuce great addition to cut the richness factor.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
A variant of the Peanut Butter and Banana Sandwich.

Toasted bread
Butter
Banana
Sugar, Maple Syrup or Honey drizzled on top.
Open-faced.

A cup of hot chocolate on the side!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing