Field Coils for Audio Systems

Depending On budget, I am open to offers for my Cogent system.

The Cogent DS-1428 mid drivers are based on the original RCA 1428 with some improvements that were awarded a patent.

The system also includes the Cogent DS-1448 mid bass compression drivers

eso
Absolutely beautiful, but probably out of my price range and not suited to my multipurpose room.

Best?

Do you want a compression driver for a horn, or a direct radiator?

I use and really like the Supravox 215 ( 8" ) which has a range from 50Hz to 6KHz (no whizzer cone).

I have heard and been really impressed by the Rullit Aero 10" which have a wider bandwidth 50Hz to 15KHz.

Voxative make a range of 5" Lowther style field coil drivers.

Wolf Von Langa makes a range of compression driver field coils including a 4" in the style of the JBL 375, which I am told sounds fantastic.

John Wolfe at Classic Audio also makes and sells this style of compression driver.

There are Ken Songa's speakers, but I don't believe that he sells the drivers.

I am sure that there are many more choices. I hope your pants don't catch fire ;)

Good point - I'm looking for a radial driver, not a horn.

My first experience with field coil was wolf von Langa which led me to start building some. I wanted to buy their drivers but they stopped selling the drivers by themselves.

I'm going to check out those supravox.

Ive heard people with experience claim the vox are maybe not giving the bang for the buck.

Nobody mentioning ems/fertin. I've been interested in those, but I feel it may be a sideways move from my sonido.

I have $10k which isn't huge budget but for 2 drivers it isn't bad and I don't really need anything else these days and don't want to fritter it away on capacitors.

Good point - I'm looking for a radial driver, not a horn.

My first experience with field coil was wolf von Langa which led me to start building some. I wanted to buy their drivers but they stopped selling the drivers by themselves.

I'm going to check out those supravox.

Ive heard people with experience claim the vox are maybe not giving the bang for the buck.

Nobody mentioning ems/fertin. I've been interested in those, but I feel it may be a sideways move from my sonido.

I have $10k which isn't huge budget but for 2 drivers it isn't bad and I don't really need anything else these days and don't want to fritter it away on capacitors.

If you want a single driver approach, the Rullits could be your best bet. I heard them in an open baffle and they were beguiling. The only down side is that you won't have a lot of bass below 50Hz.

Rich of @Treehaus Audiolab uses them in his full range OB speakers and has a lot of experience with them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu