Finally got a pair of Maggie’s

sc53

Jan 14, 2014
I’ve been reading these forums for a couple of years getting the feel of the place. I got deep into the postponement and final arrival of Ron’s New System. I was an English major and grad student so I love a good story esp with dramatic elements. Today I drove 2 hrs to Breezewood PA to pick up a pair of not-even-broken-in-yet Magneplanar 1.7i from a very accommodating fellow hobbyist who lives in Pittsburgh. He met me in Breezewood for the exchange. I am a box speaker gal from age 12 until I retired 4 yrs ago. Now I’m satisfying my curiosity about single driver, and baffle-less, and horn, and planar speakers. I haven’t replaced my Audio Physic Avantera+ or Proac Response D15 or little Harbeth P3ESR but I’ve moved them into the corners of various rooms to try these other technologies after so many years of reading reviews about them. Now that I’m retired I figured it’s now or never. I’m open to advice on speaker cables and tweaks on placement of these Maggie’s. I’m using my Ayre VX5-Twenty amp right now and will also try my BAT VK55SE monoblocks on them. I’m amazed at the bass. I’m hearing lower bass than I do on my Audio Physics which I did not expect. I know a lot of people on here have panel speakers so I’m finally posting since today I joined the club!

Attachments

• IMG_3640.jpeg
    IMG_3640.jpeg
    961.9 KB · Views: 62

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars
Nice! congratulations. Would love to hear.

Reactions: sc53

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
I’ve been reading these forums for a couple of years getting the feel of the place. I got deep into the postponement and final arrival of Ron’s New System. I was an English major and grad student so I love a good story esp with dramatic elements. Today I drove 2 hrs to Breezewood PA to pick up a pair of not-even-broken-in-yet Magneplanar 1.7i from a very accommodating fellow hobbyist who lives in Pittsburgh. He met me in Breezewood for the exchange. I am a box speaker gal from age 12 until I retired 4 yrs ago. Now I’m satisfying my curiosity about single driver, and baffle-less, and horn, and planar speakers. I haven’t replaced my Audio Physic Avantera+ or Proac Response D15 or little Harbeth P3ESR but I’ve moved them into the corners of various rooms to try these other technologies after so many years of reading reviews about them. Now that I’m retired I figured it’s now or never. I’m open to advice on speaker cables and tweaks on placement of these Maggie’s. I’m using my Ayre VX5-Twenty amp right now and will also try my BAT VK55SE monoblocks on them. I’m amazed at the bass. I’m hearing lower bass than I do on my Audio Physics which I did not expect. I know a lot of people on here have panel speakers so I’m finally posting since today I joined the club!
One simple thing you might try is to reverse the speaker positions. Currently you appear to have the tweeter sections of the speakers on the inside. Your speakers are also angled in a fair amount and with their separation from one another, a little to close together (I can see from the doorway behind them that you can't really separate them much more then they currently are).
So by reversing their respective positions you may gain a wider "view" into the "soundstage". And try playing with the toe-in. Less may prove to be more beneficial.

Cheers.....

Reactions: christoph and sc53

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
nice set up. from one maggie owner to another they seem to be toed in way to much, especially with the tweeter ribbons on the inside. best to start with zero toe and make small adjustments from there.
don't be afraid to try them with the tweeter ribbons on the out side.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations, sc! Welcome to Magnepan ownership!

I recommend experimenting with the Magnepans between 5 feet and 8 feet from the front wall.

PS: I'm glad my system journey provided some literary amusement!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, ma'am and good evening to you. Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to the "What's Best Forum"!

Your toe in is honestly extreme and I would advise it to be adjusted. Here is a good synopsis that will help you out to optimize things in your room.

1699074753819.png

There is more to it, but this should put you more in the right direction. I hope this helps you. Have a great evening!

Tom

sc53

Jan 14, 2014
nice set up. from one maggie owner to another they seem to be toed in way to much, especially with the tweeter ribbons on the inside. best to start with zero toe and make small adjustments from there.
don't be afraid to try them with the tweeter ribbons on the out side.
Thank you sir! I will swap the speaker (tweeter) positions and aim them flatter. The instructions from Magnepan seemed to stress toe in. I’ve had them running all night on various recording of the Bach cello suites as the former owner told me they need 200 hrs of break-in and he’d only played them for 10 hrs. They have now accrued another 12 hrs.

ScottK

Apr 30, 2023
mars

sc53

Jan 14, 2014
I moved the speakers further apart and my chair further back and reduced toe-in. Sounding good. At this point I like the tweeter panels on the inside.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    835.9 KB · Views: 28
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    758 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: MRJAZZ

sc53

Jan 14, 2014
After a week of playing nonstop I think the Maggies sound amazing. Today I swapped out the Ayre VX5-Twenty for my BAT VK55SE monoblocks. Good sound but the BATs need to warm up. They haven’t been turned on since last winter due to the heat they put out. I’ve moved the Maggie’s back and further apart and my listening chair further away. Now listening to the Anette Askvik album Mike recommended (on Ayre QX5-Twenty streamer via Roon).

Attachments

• IMG_3739.jpeg
    IMG_3739.jpeg
    979.8 KB · Views: 15

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
My brother lives in central KY — not so far to drive!
Florence Y'all! LOL
I am in Louisville area.
Once you find the zone you like for the maggies the micro adjustments afterwords are huge in sound. I have had rooms that sound better with tweeters inside and others the outside, sounds like you figured that part out quickly, awesome.

Riverdinaudio

Nov 9, 2022
I am at CAF 2023. Magnepan is here! Sorry to report that the Magnepan pricing scheme is no longer the value to cost leader. Their MSRP is now firmly is the Audiophile Pricing Model. Ladies and gentlemen it was a lovely ride while it lasted. Better hold on to your Magnepans!
For the record. I became a Tweeter Out listener this year for all my panel speakers. I also regret selling my 3.7i...

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I am at CAF 2023. Magnepan is here! Sorry to report that the Magnepan pricing scheme is no longer the value to cost leader. Their MSRP is now firmly is the Audiophile Pricing Model. Ladies and gentlemen it was a lovely ride while it lasted. Better hold on to your Magnepans!
For the record. I became a Tweeter Out listener this year for all my panel speakers. I also regret selling my 3.7i...
Recently learned that when i inquired about a pair of 3.7i's. Welcome to the post scamdemic world.

sc53

Jan 14, 2014
I was in the Maggie Room at CAF yesterday too, listening to the brand new 2.7i. Sounded marvelous. Price was not astronomical. Also heard the new Clayton Shaw open baffle Caladan—again lovely sound and very reasonable $3 grand price.

Attachments

• IMG_3747.jpeg
    IMG_3747.jpeg
    604.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3745.jpeg
    IMG_3745.jpeg
    772.6 KB · Views: 16
Reactions: MRJAZZ

sc53

Jan 14, 2014
Not sure that video link will open but the band (?) ((composer??)) is Ghost Rider. I heard this artist in two rooms.

sc53

Jan 14, 2014
OK just swapped in my Audiophysics on the BATs and I can get the volume I need for Springsteen. Thank you Jeff Fox at Command AV in Falls Church for my Audiophysics and Ayre. I have wide ranging tastes but what Jeff sold me is home.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing