First High End Turntable

They know. It's what they do.

Never mind the wife, with the money some of you guys drop on the components your bank probably flinches at the withdrawl.

The Continuo and Cantus arm are made by Bo Hanson of Opus 3 Recordings in Sweden the company name is Rauna of Sweden. Thanks for the welcome.

Thanks don't think they have any distribution in the US???

My first table was a Dual 1228, which stayed with me until the big move to Vancouver.
It is there where I bought my Rega P3 with a Grace 707 tonearm and a F9E cartridge.
Next step was an Oracle Delphi with a Sirynx PU3 with a Black Koetsu.

Belt drive of course

Mine was an Acoustic Research, it replaced a Denon DP65. i still remember how good it sounded with an Audio Technica AT20 cartridge.

Michell Gyrodec

Hi,

My first high end turntable was a Michell Gyrodec w/ the metal platter, it had an Odyssey RP1-XG MK2 tonearm and had the original Koetsu Black Cartridge. I had it since 1986 and it was a present from my Dad when I was in Medical School. Its still w/ me until now and it has undergone an Orbe platter & clamp upgrade, latest suspension turrets/springs,stand alone motor mount and inverted bearing upgrade.I wont ever sell it because of its sentimental value.

tdh888

My first "high-end" (although I didn't know that term at the time) turntable was an Empire 208. It came with an Empire 98 arm and a 108 cartridge but they were soon replaced with an ADC 40 arm and an ADC-1. Eventually, the 208 bore an Audio+Design arm with ADC XLM cartridge and, ultimately, an SME III with Denon 103D. Of course, the 208 was heavily modified over this period in order to support the changes.

Myles....mine was the P3 as well in fact I still have it stored away. It is fitted with a Grace 707 MKII arm and F9E. It was a heckuva table in its day....circa 1979.

Myles....mine was the P3 as well in fact I still have it stored away. It is fitted with a Grace 707 MKII arm and F9E. It was a heckuva table in its day....circa 1979.

Ha! Had a Grace arm on my Linn LP12 for a while until the bearings, the Achilles heel of Graces, went south. Then went to a Basik arm (a mistake) and then put an ET2 on the lLinn.

Man you must be one old dude! :)

Hi folks, my first turntable that I would consider high-end was the Ariston RD110 Superior. Very heavy (in those days) and the tonearm base is well isolated from the external vibrations. I have fond memories of it.

I also had one of these (1975-1976?) with an Infinity Black Widow arm and one of the first Grado Signatures (IIRC, I finagled a pre-production sample somehow).

My first high-end table was an Ariston 11E, with a Grace 707 mk11 arm, and an ADC XLM 3 cartridge, and heavy Osawa mat. It was modified by taking out the foam from the springs, and dropping the motor from the top-plate. I never could get the belt to stay on, and the belt would pull the platter up-a truly closed system. With Klipsch Heresy's, it had the most realistic dynamics(just like people were there) i've ever heard-from soft to loud just like a person would be(I'm thinking Van Morrison here.). From there I went to an Oracle Delphi !(bought new for $125), Grace 707, Koetsu Rosewood(bought new for $50-those were the days!), Oracle Delphi 11(a step backwards), and now a Linn lp12, ekos!, arkiv, lingo, and mana reference table. I went with Linn so I wouldn't have so many variables, and they would be in business for awhile. Have you heard their Radikal dc motor? So much for the sound of a suspended deck. Of course, I have to win the lotto to afford it.

My first high-end table was an Ariston 11E, with a Grace 707 mk11 arm, and an ADC XLM 3 cartridge, and heavy Osawa mat. It was modified by taking out the foam from the springs, and dropping the motor from the top-plate. I never could get the belt to stay on, and the belt would pull the platter up-a truly closed system. With Klipsch Heresy's, it had the most realistic dynamics(just like people were there) i've ever heard-from soft to loud just like a person would be(I'm thinking Van Morrison here.). From there I went to an Oracle Delphi !(bought new for $125), Grace 707, Koetsu Rosewood(bought new for $50-those were the days!), Oracle Delphi 11(a step backwards), and now a Linn lp12, ekos!, arkiv, lingo, and mana reference table. I went with Linn so I wouldn't have so many variables, and they would be in business for awhile. Have you heard their Radikal dc motor? So much for the sound of a suspended deck. Of course, I have to win the lotto to afford it.

Huh?

If the "huh" was about the prices, I got the Oracle at Peachtree Salvage in the Atlanta area. They had no idea what its retail price was. The Koetsu looked like the cantilever was off center, but I knew they were handmade. There were many bargains when the Audible Difference moved from Tasso to El Camino Real in Palo Alto. If a poor college student looks long enough, he can find bargains.

People say that a suspended deck has a certain sound. I suggest they audition the lp12 with the Radikal, and then see what they think.

LOL! Yeah, the "Huh?" was indeed about the pricing you indicated. Congrats! Hopefully I'll be able to come across a deal like that one day!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing