Five favorite tweaks

1. Stillpoints Ultra SS. The improvement these made under every component was wild. Amp, power distributor, even grounding box. I became a believer and now realise isolation is critical.

2. Nordost QKore to QB8. Perhaps a special synergy is here between these two Nordost products, you have to hear it. But I have had far less success using QKore to ground other components, it’s been hit or miss, mostly miss.

3. Zilplex acoustic resonators. Like the Frank Tchang resonators but smaller and working on very high frequencies. Norm Luttbeg (rip) was a big proponent of this product. Expands the soundstage in your living room, does not effect tonality.

4. Rick Schultz’s magnetic High Fidelity cables. Not sure whether this falls under tweak category, but no other cables could come close for the same price, or at any price i am told. A thread about these cables with 20k comments was deleted off Audiogon. Rick is now making a new line of magnetic cables under his own brand name.

5. Track Audio Precision speaker stands. Srajan from 6moons still says these are the best stands ever made for bookshelf speakers. Makes a huge difference if you are into monitors. You don’t know what your bookshelves are capable of until they are on stands of this quality.

Unfortunately none of these tweaks comes cheap.

Now let me tell you about tweaks I used to use heavily but do not recommend anymore - any power filter, whether series or parallel. Years past when my system was less transparent all these power filters worked great. But as my system become much more resolving, filters now reduce micro dynamics and fine detail. All of them do, consistently. But at the same time you can get things like increased soundstage and perceived macro detail while this reduction occurs.

The user here called @Amir has talked about this and explained in words exactly what I experience.

And yet - I still keep buying these power filters as it’s a tweak I am addicted to!

Last edited:
Reactions: kennyb123

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing