floating speaker cables.....on the cheap

gfroman

Dec 28, 2012

Inexpensive, but effective soft foam blocks supporting my Evolution Acoustics TRSC cables.

rpk

Aug 30, 2020
Germany
My first prototypes from 2017 for speaker cable guidance, the base plate is granite underlaid with Sorbothane. Today, 15 copies are used for power cords and speaker cables up to a height of 50 cm.
Regards Rainer
L1030812.JPG

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
I bought these for our bikes on the car rack. Then I tried them on my cables, great gain for the buck. Available on Amazon, $19.99.

Saris Protect-O Pads Set of 4 E79BC920-26E0-4FB5-B933-2AD7ED0DA3AF.jpeg

Reactions: Bohemian and HughP3

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
View attachment 83074

on Friday night when i first listened i needed to adjust my tweeter gain to begin with as the 'float' caused it to be too hot on top. that night and yesterday i continued to play around with that. i figured that was part of the picture. i had noticed an upward tilt to the balance. but i was almost listening 100% to digital. as the day went on yesterday and i listened to more vinyl i could see that all was not ok. i stepped back twice, going away and doing other things then returning to see how i felt.

thinking about it overnight i think i just need to play around a little to see where the best balance is overall. will some degree of float be better than none? i just don't know. how much of the positive attributes can i retain with less float?

so i wanted to communicate 'a stop sign' to anyone reading this thread about my reservations before you spend your $240 :eek: . as i said above......

i'm glad i've gone down this road for sure, to further understand cause and effect. i did order 2 sets of those Audioquest Fog Lifters to play around with. see where they might help, and assist with fine tuning. with a mature system that is delivering what you like........fighting to find a little more does require some relentlessness to find that last bit of musical truth. in this case not a lot of dollars at least.
This shouldn’t have been a shocker, as you were adding the high resonant points of metal and marble. That’s why I look at all of the high priced metal footers and chuckle. Que sera, sera.

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
A little late to rhe party. My 2 cents. People have touched on this. When a cable is on the floor, its getting some degree of dampening. Or picking up floor vibration. When hanging, it may act as a guitar string. When lifting a cable, it may be better to attached a damping material to the cable. Of course this could go either way.. Good/bad. lead core rope could be laid along the cord and wrapped down with a twine or maybe a small diameter rubber tube or yoga bands. This is just a thought.

I get where mike is coming from on the reduction of strain at connection points. If not for sonics, its a good idea for maintaining a solid mechanical connection. A cable pulling at a connection point is creating high and low pressure points as it tries to hinge. Over time this may deform the metal connection points. It may also loosen the internal connection in the cable of the conductor to jack.
There’s the static element, as well. Especially for those with carpet or rugs.

J007B

Jul 25, 2020
Reactions: Sa-dono

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
There’s the static element, as well. Especially for those with carpet or rugs.
One of the more recent claims (e.g., from Audioquest) with regard to cable elevators is that when cables are on or close to the floor the floor effectively becomes part of the dielectric, altering the cable's magnetic field and adding noise to the sound. Can't prove or disprove the science, but putting the Audioquest "Fog Lifters" (which are inexpensive) under my speaker cables raised them up a couple of inches above the Shunyata Dark Field Elevators (original version) I was using and resulted in a subtle increase in speed and clarity. Audioquest also claims that the smaller the contact point with the cable (a nylon string on the Fog Lifters) the better. Note that the current generation Shunyata cable elevators are similar - the cable rests on what is essentially a string, and further from the floor than with the original version.

FYI:

Based on the description and appearance I would expect the Shunyata DF-SS Cable Elevators to be superior to the Fog Lifters, but the Shunyata (which I haven't tried) are $133.00 each vs $19.00 each for the Audioquest.

Last edited:

Sa-dono

Dec 29, 2016
One of the more recent claims (e.g., from Audioquest) with regard to cable elevators is that when cables are on or close to the floor the floor effectively becomes part of the dielectric, altering the cable's magnetic field and adding noise to the sound. Can't prove or disprove the science, but putting the Audioquest "Fog Lifters" (which are inexpensive) under my speaker cables raised them up a couple of inches above the Shunyata Dark Field Elevators (original version) I was using and resulted in a subtle increase in speed and clarity. Audioquest also claims that the smaller the contact point with the cable (a nylon string on the Fog Lifters) the better. Note that the current generation Shunyata cable elevators are similar - the cable rests on what is essentially a string, and further from the floor than with the original version.

FYI:

Based on the description and appearance I would expect the Shunyata DF-SS Cable Elevators to be superior to the Fog Lifters, but the Shunyata (which I haven't tried) are $133.00 each vs $19.00 each for the Audioquest.
I don’t remember which forum it was from, but someone tested the theory, and his data backed it up. It only makes sense, as something else in touch with the dielectric, and another potential magnetic field. That‘s why the original ceramic cable elevators made sense to stop this problem.

The vibrations and resonances are what makes these products a tweaker’s paradise.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing