For what it's Worth-Tesla

Tesla tells me I can upgrade to a new model S and transfer my FSD and unlimited supercharging to the new car. If I drove my car a lot, I’d consider it. But as it stands since I work primarily from home since the pandemic began, and take the train to work when I need to be in the office, it’s hard to see a good reason to upgrade. I’m happy with my model S. It’s been the most trouble free car I’ve owned in 40 years! I kind of miss the endless waiting in Audi and BMW showrooms waiting for my car to get its tuneup or oil change or whatever. Tesla takes all the fun out of car ownership! A car that doesn’t need servicing. Feels strange to me still…

We are a 4 Tesla family as well. My wife and I have a S and a 3 here and a Y sitting in Florida. My older son has a Y. My younger son in LA drives an ICE. Do not have FSD but friends do. They mostly use it to drive home after having a few drinks. It works beautifully.

We are thinking of getting a computer upgrade for the S. It was one of the last S to be made with a sun roof. My wife being from Cali loves her sun roof. Oh and free supercharging.

We are thinking of getting a computer upgrade for the S. It was one of the last S to be made with a sun roof. My wife being from Cali loves her sun roof. Oh and free supercharging.
The new computer is a quantum leap ahead of yours.

TESLA FIGHTS BACK.

There’s a new Cybertruck in our neighborhood that I keep seeing. Now there’s a car (oops, truck) that I could get excited about owning. It’s so distinctive. Puts everything else in the meh category. I wish Musk would rearchitect his entire fleet along this theme. The Tesla’s I’ve seen lately are looking too bland. Or other cars are copying their style. Of course the Cybertruck is going through its teething problems. Maybe in a few years when they have the bugs fixed. I could see myself doing a long road trip post retirement in one of these.

The new computer is a quantum leap ahead of yours.
Nice pun, actually. When quantum computers arrive, which will happen in our lifetimes, our current Tesla computers and MacBook Pros will feel like floppy disk drives. Remember those? The Japanese Government finally has decided to stop requiring them!

Reactions: steve williams
Are You thirdty?

just an fyi, California reduced net metering reimbursement by 75%. so the whole game of putting loads of panels on your house to sell back power to the utility is over. solar panel sales have plummeted as a result.

Teslas also cost 20% more to insure than ICE vehicles, so any cost/benefit analysis needs to include this. its now widely reported that EVs require quicker tire replacement.

just an fyi, California reduced net metering reimbursement by 75%. so the whole game of putting loads of panels on your house to sell back power to the utility is over. solar panel sales have plummeted as a result.

Teslas also cost 20% more to insure than ICE vehicles, so any cost/benefit analysis needs to include this. its now widely reported that EVs require quicker tire replacement.
That is correct to a degree. No one is putting panels on to sell back energy to the utility companies. They are putting panels on to minimize their high costs of electricity. As for insurance rates my cars cost about the same premium as did my two Mercedes. As for tire life I've not had an issue. Having said all of this, California has become a $hithole and people (including yourself) are leaving in droves.

Reactions: SCAudiophile
That is correct to a degree. No one is putting panels on to sell back energy to the utility companies. They are putting panels on to minimize their high costs of electricity. As for insurance rates my cars cost about the same premium as did my two Mercedes. As for tire life I've not had an issue. Having said all of this California under our governor has become a $hithole and people (including yourself) are leaving in droves.
yeah, the homeless issue was a big issue for us.

I like Teslas a lot actually (particularly the Model S). I just feel owners exaggerate the cost differential. btw, here in texas solar panels aren't terribly popular. just not enough clear sky during the year and would require a large battery investment and we aren't there on cost yet.

the people who are grandfathered into net metering like yourself have a heckuva deal.

Reactions: steve williams
Ironic Solar energy is the perfect way to get off bf the grid.

Got 30,000 miles out of my first set of tires. Damn good if you ask me.

That's what you might expect from a high performance summer tire, like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which has a 300 treadwear rating and has a 30k mile warranty with most getting 40k+ miles... Typical all season tires will last at least 50% longer and have much higher treadwear ratings. I have a few friends with Teslas, they all wear tires very quickly and use the mileage warranty on the tires.

Most of the issue is abrupt initial acceleration, it would take Tesla 15 min to update their software so acceleration is more gradual for the first few tenths of a second the accelerator pedal is first pushed or it's position is increased. It would change the feel of the car a bit, but it would allow tires to last much longer. They will still wear tires more quickly than average because they are heavier and can accelerate faster, but I think it's the instant torque that's responsible for most of the accelerated tire wear. So smoother drivers who don't tip-in the throttle quickly are probably significantly easier on tires. "With great power comes great responsibility" applies to cars, and on a track it costs exponentially more to run a larger, heavier and faster car vs a lighter and less powerful car.

On another Tesla related subject, I read Tesla has been testing prototypes of hydrogen fuel cell type batteries with excellent results and EVs in general may end up using fuel cells instead of Li-ion. I suppose since the tech is new it may progress faster than you'd expect, especially compared to ICE tech that's been around for over a century. But I do wonder about infrastructure, with changing tech there may be far better batteries but no infrastructure to support them. It'll be interesting to see how EVs evolve.

Reactions: Tangram
That's what you might expect from a high performance summer tire, like Michelin Pilot Sport 4S, which has a 300 treadwear rating and has a 30k mile warranty with most getting 40k+ miles... Typical all season tires will last at least 50% longer and have much higher treadwear ratings. I have a few friends with Teslas, they all wear tires very quickly and use the mileage warranty on the tires.

Most of the issue is abrupt initial acceleration, it would take Tesla 15 min to update their software so acceleration is more gradual for the first few tenths of a second the accelerator pedal is first pushed or it's position is increased. It would change the feel of the car a bit, but it would allow tires to last much longer. They will still wear tires more quickly than average because they are heavier and can accelerate faster, but I think it's the instant torque that's responsible for most of the accelerated tire wear. So smoother drivers who don't tip-in the throttle quickly are probably significantly easier on tires. "With great power comes great responsibility" applies to cars, and on a track it costs exponentially more to run a larger, heavier and faster car vs a lighter and less powerful car.

On another Tesla related subject, I read Tesla has been testing prototypes of hydrogen fuel cell type batteries with excellent results and EVs in general may end up using fuel cells instead of Li-ion. I suppose since the tech is new it may progress faster than you'd expect, especially compared to ICE tech that's been around for over a century. But I do wonder about infrastructure, with changing tech there may be far better batteries but no infrastructure to support them. It'll be interesting to see how EVs evolve.
Granted, a few of my annual miles are on my winter tires but the bulk of my driving is in the summer, as we have a vacation property that we are back and forth during those months. I have 41,000 miles on my Model Y and when I had the summer tires put on in April the tech said there was lots of life left in them. Agree 100% that rapid acceleration will kill tires quickly (my other car is a 911) so I try to accelerate without stomping on the pedal. With a recent software update (maybe it has been there a while but I didn’t notice) there is a “chill” acceleration mode, which I use. It’s still plenty fast off the line.

Granted, a few of my annual miles are on my winter tires but the bulk of my driving is in the summer, as we have a vacation property that we are back and forth during those months. I have 41,000 miles on my Model Y and when I had the summer tires put on in April the tech said there was lots of life left in them. Agree 100% that rapid acceleration will kill tires quickly (my other car is a 911) so I try to accelerate without stomping on the pedal. With a recent software update (maybe it has been there a while but I didn’t notice) there is a “chill” acceleration mode, which I use. It’s still plenty fast off the line.
Mine is always in chill mode

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing