Found my bliss with Shindo Vosne-Romanee (+ Nagra 300p)

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Essrand, try to add some other Shindo and A23 gear to your system. Maybe first an amp, interconnect and speaker cables. All these add some significant magic in that direction.
Shindo can be sonically very special, as special, as the structures in the dealer/distributor/service can unfortunately be, too. If you have a dealer and you are a good client, you can receive many help, but otherwise it can be difficult…
I for myself had a complete Shindo system (as second system) in the past, from cartridge to speaker, everything was Shindo. It was a nice journey, some nice years, but I am glad to live Shindo-free now… ;-)

Actually all forums seem to be dead on Shindo themes, but the Facebook group is very active and I can recommend it.
Thanks for the heads up on the Shindo FB group, I was wondering where the Shindo addicts hang out these days.

What is your current system now? I wonder where people move on from Shindo :)

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
Thanks for the heads up on the Shindo FB group, I was wondering where the Shindo addicts hang out these days.

After owning Shindo Vosne-Romanee and Giscours WE 349AI moved to Thomas Mayer 10y line/RADA Precious One Phono
No regrets whatsoever

Reactions: bonzo75

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
High River, Alberta Canada

I think you will find if you haven't already that the Shindo FB group is not really that active either. Lots of passion but really not that many posts.

Although I havent had any issues I think I understand what Birdwatcher was getting at. I live in Canada and there aren't many dealers, it was a chore to place an order and the final all in price was a mystery right until the end. If I ever do have problems I am not looking forward to getting it repaired, although I expect this is frequently the case with anything out of the ordinary unless you live in a major city.

There is a real mystic to the Shindo products, this Is not something I buy into completely but I can see why many do. They are exotic, well built and have a very musical sound. I am not sure if my present Shindo Monbrison and Cortese will be the end of my journey but right now I am enjoying the sound of my system more than ever!

Is there better out there, of course there is. Unfortunately there is a lot of hi end equipment that does not live up to its billing.

Maril555

Jun 26, 2014
I think you will find if you haven't already that the Shindo FB group is not really that active either. Lots of passion but really not that many posts.

Although I havent had any issues I think I understand what Birdwatcher was getting at. I live in Canada and there aren't many dealers, it was a chore to place an order and the final all in price was a mystery right until the end. If I ever do have problems I am not looking forward to getting it repaired, although I expect this is frequently the case with anything out of the ordinary unless you live in a major city.

There is a real mystic to the Shindo products, this Is not something I buy into completely but I can see why many do. They are exotic, well built and have a very musical sound. I am not sure if my present Shindo Monbrison and Cortese will be the end of my journey but right now I am enjoying the sound of my system more than ever!

Is there better out there, of course there is. Unfortunately there is a lot of hi end equipment that does not live up to its billing.
The other thing about Shindo, at least in the US, is that it’s impossible to get ANY discount buying new
Luckily I had never had to service them, so I cannot comment on that

KevinO

Dec 26, 2018
.I have a Vosnee Romance running into a Cortese ( 300, not the 2A). All my cabling is either Shindo or A23. I have an A23 SUT. Speakers are the A23 Hommage Ken ( essentially a Keith Aschenbrenner build of a Ken Shindo design). Recently changed the tubes in the Cortese from the Pavane to a set of Western Electric that my dealer sourced for me. Noticeable improvement in all the areas I value. Sure, there are "better " systems out there, but for the first time for a while. I'm not actually looking. IS this my "forever" system? unlikely but for now I'm quite content.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
The other thing about Shindo, at least in the US, is that it’s impossible to get ANY discount buying new
Luckily I had never had to service them, so I cannot comment on that
It is the same in Canada. Their business model keeps things extremely tight and is not conducive to discounting. Limited production and few dealers means there is no need to discount.

As far as I can tell Shindo in Japan builds various but not all models on their own schedule. If you wish to order a particular component the dealer first checks to see if they are building that component. If they aren't you would be advised you would have to wait until they cycle back to building that model. If they are building the component you are looking for then you are put in line for it to be built. It would seem that there are only a few employees which Is fine if you want your component to be built meticulously but don't expect it anytime so.

I could be wrong on some of this but that is my take.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
.I have a Vosnee Romance running into a Cortese ( 300, not the 2A). All my cabling is either Shindo or A23. I have an A23 SUT. Speakers are the A23 Hommage Ken ( essentially a Keith Aschenbrenner build of a Ken Shindo design). Recently changed the tubes in the Cortese from the Pavane to a set of Western Electric that my dealer sourced for me. Noticeable improvement in all the areas I value. Sure, there are "better " systems out there, but for the first time for a while. I'm not actually looking. IS this my "forever" system? unlikely but for now I'm quite content.
A question on your A23 SUT. What cartridge are you using it with and have you tried any other stepups?

I had a pair of new Western Electric 300b lined up for my Cortese but unfortunately they failed in another amp. Western Electric failed to honour their warranty so I won't be looking to purchase them again.

Matteo Rotunda of Pitch Perfect Audio, a Shindo dealer, likes the original WE and suggests Takatsuki. He seems quite knowledgeable. My dealer, Graeme Humphrey at CDF in Montreal also likes the original WE but is lukewarm on the value of most 300b, feeling that the Cortese is so good that you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on the 300b tube.

Last edited:

td19

Sep 29, 2017
Shindo monbrison + thöress 845/f2a mono amps is a killer combo
When ever chance to test do it...goosebumps plays along emotionally. you quickly get tears of joy.
I think another Shindo preamp will give a similar feeling.;)
Interesting .., I have a Shindo Masseto (and also a Montille) and Thoress 300B monos, but have never thought to match the Shindo(s) with the Thoress. Must give it a try.

KevinO

Dec 26, 2018
A question on your A23 SUT. What cartridge are you using it with and have you tried any other stepups?

I had a pair of new Western Electric 300b lined up for my Cortese but unfortunately they failed in another amp. Western Electric failed to honour their warranty so I won't be looking to purchase them again.

Matteo Rotunda of Pitch Perfect Audio, a Shindo dealer, likes the original WE and suggests Takatsuki. He seems quite knowledgeable. My dealer, Graeme Humphrey at CDF in Montreal also likes the original WE but is lukewarm on the value of most 300b, feeling that the Cortese is so good that you don't need to go out and spend a fortune on the 300b tube.
I have a few Dynavectors here ; I've also used it with an EMT. I didn't try any other SUT's- moved to Shindo from ref level ARC amps/phono and didn't feel the need when I had ARC. Why the A23 SUT? It was an educated guess from talking to my dealer- I also had spoken with Matt Rotunda so felt the advice I was given was solid. Could have gone badly wrong but so far so good. Same as the WE tubes _ i was offered a pair at a very good price and didn't feel as if I had much to lose ( probably wouldn't have dome it as full price because The Cortese with the Pavanes is very very good .

Reactions: AudioHR

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022
I've really enjoyed the combo of Shindo Monbrison + Montille cv391 with Living Voice ibx-r2

Shindo tends to sound best with other shindo gear Shindo :)

td19

Sep 29, 2017
Interesting .., I have a Shindo Masseto (and also a Montille) and Thoress 300B monos, but have never thought to match the Shindo(s) with the Thoress. Must give it a try.
Correction ... Massetto (and also an Aurieges MM).

essrand

Jan 8, 2018
Would love to hear how it works out, once you have tried the combo :)

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
Actually all forums seem to be dead on Shindo themes, but the Facebook group is very active and I can recommend it.
My understanding is that Shindo is closing their doors.
Shindo will be no more, they are now a piece of audio history/heritage.

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
My understanding is that Shindo is closing their doors.
Shindo will be no more, they are now a piece of audio history/heritage.
That rumour is going around. As of now they are apparently still shipping models to dealers. It would be good to hear from someone that actually knows.

iaxel

Oct 25, 2016
That rumour is going around. As of now they are apparently still shipping models to dealers. It would be good to hear from someone that actually knows.
I heard it from their local distributor.

Juiced

Nov 26, 2022

AudioHR

VIP/Donor
Feb 11, 2023
I heard it from their local distributor.
Interesting! I am not doubting what you heard but it would be nice to have this verified.

If I may ask where are you located?

Reactions: Birdwatcher

KevinO

Dec 26, 2018
I am in New Zealand. Have just heard from the dealer here who says the rumours are total bollocks. Shindo is having problems supplying enough product so is prioritising who they do supply to. Still a going concern. A bit premature to write the obituary or consign them to a footnote in history.

Reactions: AudioHR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing