Frustration with Lack of Objective Advice/Information

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Maybe this a naïve post, but I'm really tired of not being able to get objective information on audio recommendations. Dealers want to sell you stuff they sell, "consultants" want to sell you stuff, many of the forum posters are ingenuine or trolls. Is it possible to get genuine, non-biased information?

I am just getting back into the hobby after a 30 year hiatus raising a family. You really can't listen to anything anymore, there are very few brick and mortar shops any more, and the ones that do exist that you would want to do business are few and very far between. You just have to cross your fingers and hope for the best. If you buy new and don't like it you immediately lose a minimum of 30% walking out the door with it. I guess it has always been this way to a certain extent, but not being able to hear product nowadays makes it a real gamble.

Sorry to be so cynical, but it sure would be nice to feel better about making informed selections.

Any thoughts on this or is this just the obvious.

Reactions: ashandger

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I suppose the question is: other than the disappearance of bricks/mortar places where you can audition for yourself...has the 'sales angle' ever changed in the 30 years you've been away? In fact, I distinctly remember walking into perhaps 50% of audio stores around the world and finding the sales guy having a clear bias to selling only his own equipment (imagine that)...and doing so by badmouthing not only other competing equipment...but in 1-2 cases, actually trying to make me feel bad about my own equipment so I had to 'upgrade'! Sadly ridiculous.

That said, your original question remains absolutely valid...are there sources of veracity or at least less sales-driven bias...and the good news is since then you have forums like WBF where you can ask (best done privately) for private opinions of people from literally all over the world who own the equipment, have owned the equipment or know it well and have compared it with other equipment you might also happen to know.

For me, more than anything (besides a personal audition) being able to speak with fellow audiophiles over the years (particularly those whose 'ear' I have started to be able to calibrate from their observations of systems or equipment I know)...has been an invaluable place to start.

So welcome!

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
I suppose the question is: other than the disappearance of bricks/mortar places where you can audition for yourself...has the 'sales angle' ever changed in the 30 years you've been away? In fact, I distinctly remember walking into perhaps 50% of audio stores around the world and finding the sales guy having a clear bias to selling only his own equipment (imagine that)...and doing so by badmouthing not only other competing equipment...but in 1-2 cases, actually trying to make me feel bad about my own equipment so I had to 'upgrade'! Sadly ridiculous.

That said, your original question remains absolutely valid...are there sources of veracity or at least less sales-driven bias...and the good news is since then you have forums like WBF where you can ask (best done privately) for private opinions of people from literally all over the world who own the equipment, have owned the equipment or know it well and have compared it with other equipment you might also happen to know.

For me, more than anything (besides a personal audition) being able to speak with fellow audiophiles over the years (particularly those whose 'ear' I have started to be able to calibrate from their observations of systems or equipment I know)...has been an invaluable place to start.

So welcome!
Thanks so much for the reply.

You are right...the sales bias has not changed.

I guess it will take time to discern the opinions which you can trust on the forum. I wonder if there is a way of searching for a particular piece of equipment that a member might have for feedback and advice? That would be very helpful.

Whbgarrett

Oct 7, 2019
Buying second hand can take a lot of the economic risk out of the equation. When combined with the resources of this and other fora and reviews (recognize the mags mostly review only what is advertised in them, but there good reviews and really good reviews if you pay attention), I find that works pretty well.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Is it possible to get genuine, non-biased information?

Hello WLP3,

It definitely is possible to get genuine information, especially, I truly believe, here, where people are putting their money where their sonic opinions are, and buying what they think genuinely sounds good to them.

But even in this genuine context the concept of "non-biased" is a bit inapposite because high-end audio is, in the view of most members here, a subjective hobby. Audiophiles will have different genuine views about what they think sounds good.

If an audiophile is going to have, in the end, a stereo system he/she truly enjoys I believe there is no substitute for taking the time to listen to music and to listen to stereo systems and to discover what you think sounds good to you.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Maybe this a naïve post, but I'm really tired of not being able to get objective information on audio recommendations.

My suggestion is to engage with others here at WBF in a positive way.

Maybe you would share a few examples of what you consider "objective information on audio recommendations." That could help people understand what you are looking for.

Alternatively, ask a few specific questions to which you seek objective information and recommendations. People here will tell you what they think if you ask. Most are smart enough not give an opinion on something they have not heard.

Reactions: WLP3 and John T

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

I guess it will take time to discern the opinions which you can trust on the forum. I wonder if there is a way of searching for a particular piece of equipment that a member might have for feedback and advice? That would be very helpful.
Good question and good idea!

To the moderators - is there any way to do a search for a piece of equipment in the members (ie, under their signatures or About sections)...and not the forums?

Reactions: WLP3

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Use the search bar at the top of the page. You can specify members in that search but it will not search About sections or signatures. Do a general search then you see which members discuss the item and you can then access their signature and portfolio.

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hello WLP3,

I was going to respond to your question by describing the process that I have gone through in the last few years and conclude with the comment that if I knew then what I know now, I would have done it all quite differently, and saved a bunch of money along the way.

Instead, I stumbled upon a great thread with two participants, member here ddk, and his friend Jam. Jam explains a process about rejecting the status quo and relying on yourself to discover and learn what you want. Only in this way will you be able to understand your goal and how to achieve it. This was written back in 2016 and I have not read a better group of posts offering advice than these from Jam and his friend David Karmeli (ddk). I recommend reading this thread. It is a sober take on the industry and how the individual hobbyist should approach it. Here is the link:

Tima and I can relate to what Jam writes as we have both recently returned from visiting David in Utah and experienced what Jam is writing about. You should read about some systems here. Some authors explain their goals and their approaches. Reflect on those as you listen to live music and begin to understand what you really want from an audio system. It is not about digital or vinyl, or speaker and amplifier typology. It is about knowing what you want and learning for yourself how to get there. Seek advice carefully, and always assess its value based on your own experience.

After a thirty year absence, I hope you rediscover what all the fun is about and how rewarding the hobby can be.

EDIT: I think Jam gets interesting around page 3, post #32.

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
[L]isten to live music and begin to understand what you really want from an audio system. It is not about digital or vinyl, or speaker and amplifier typology. It is about knowing what you want and learning for yourself how to get there.

+1

John T

Feb 15, 2022
WLP3: You have to make an informed decision and start from there. As previously noted this is a highly subjective game. All of us have evolved. This is the nature of subjective listening. What I thought sounded good 20 years ago is not the same as today. You have to determine what preference of sonic delivery you seek, albeit tube, solid state. And that may change. None of this is etched in stone. As PeterA expressed I hope you can tap in and reap some truly rewarding moments...John

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Buying second hand can take a lot of the economic risk out of the equation. When combined with the resources of this and other fora and reviews (recognize the mags mostly review only what is advertised in them, but there good reviews and really good reviews if you pay attention), I find that works pretty well.
Thanks for your response. One of the things that concerns me about buying used is my perception that once a piece of equipment has had more than two owners, that there is a diminished ability to re-sell after that. I only say that because I would be wary of buying anything that has had more than two owners. Is that a real concern? I don't want to buy a piece of used equipment that will be more difficult to re-sell. I am sure that it depends on the equipment but I don't want it to become a garage sale item.

John T

Feb 15, 2022
I think buying from one owner is a prudent approach. At least this way it has a smaller track record. Also If you stick with well regarded components, less surprises. John

oldhvymec

VIP/Donor
Mar 25, 2022
The route I went was the "hard way". Then I gathered all the information on "how to" build a great system and proceeded with a flexible plan.

I started with the basics first. A budget. I went from there AFTER I came up wit ha plan.

My plan was simple. The ROOM is 1/2 the sound and I (ME) assigned a value to the rest of my plan.
Equipment
Grid
Vibration control

It may sound funny to some and hilarious to others but my equipment is about 15-20% of the sound and maybe 25% with speakers. The other 25-30% is the grid and or noise floor and the rest is 360 degree vibration control.

When I add a budget to MY rules. I start hunting. I'm a helmholtz-soul in every way.. I choose what is visually pleasing for MY room. (usually a good looking biker chick or guy (I don't care)) is a great 6x9 foot back drop..

The equipment selection is rather arbitrary for me. I like the visual of Art Deco/ Gothic and a NON studio look. I use planars and small ribbons.

I don't recommends brands I prefer ideas. A "BRAND" can cost you a fortune and still sound like caca.
Educate first, remove the frustration and go from their.. ROOM # 2 right after a little learning..

Happy hunting and best wishes..

Regards

L3RD

Apr 30, 2022

As I see it, this hobby is all about personal taste. Years ago some "reviewer" was pimping Vandersteen 3 something, I think they were 3Bs. I heard a pair at a guy's house. They sounded like my speakers with Hiquphon tweeters would have sounded if I draped a towel over the tweeters. He loved his system, I found it dull, lacking detail, and uninvolving.

Very few cities have much of a selection of audio gear, and even if there are stores in your area, you'll only know how it will sound in your system, in your system. I tend to try to evaluate what a person giving an opinion on particular piece of equipment is looking for in a piece of equipment. If they seem to value the same trates that I value, I give some credence to their opinions. I find it limiting, but virtually the only way for me to evaluate equipment that I otherwise am unable to hear.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Maybe this a naïve post, but I'm really tired of not being able to get objective information on audio recommendations. Dealers want to sell you stuff they sell, "consultants" want to sell you stuff, many of the forum posters are ingenuine or trolls. Is it possible to get genuine, non-biased information?
(...)
Sorry to be so cynical, but it sure would be nice to feel better about making informed selections.

You can get objective information on audio gear - although it is scarce, very few reviews publish it. But any information you get on audio recommendations is biased - it is why you have to ask for personnel recommendations, not for certified and recognized textbooks with recipes. This in intrinsic to stereo high-end.

Recommendations are intrinsically biased by the adviser preference or attitude. In the high-end we can have either a passive attitude or an active attitude. If you just want to assemble a system with minimum involvement look for a good dealer or consultant, known for its success, and go with him. If possible try listening for some real systems that he has assembled, not just for shop or home demos. But if you want dive deep in the assembly and tuning of an high-end system, the firts thing you should do is understanding the preference and attitude of the friendly people posting recommendations. And remember two things - that in this hobby one man's meat is another man's poison and there are no absolutes.

My biased advice - first tell people what kind of music you listen and in what conditions. And do not accept that someone tells you how and what to listen. Humans are intrinsically good listeners and it is your preference that matters.

Reactions: Lagonda and WLP3

WLP3

Apr 6, 2022
Hello WLP3,

I was going to respond to your question by describing the process that I have gone through in the last few years and conclude with the comment that if I knew then what I know now, I would have done it all quite differently, and saved a bunch of money along the way.

Instead, I stumbled upon a great thread with two participants, member here ddk, and his friend Jam. Jam explains a process about rejecting the status quo and relying on yourself to discover and learn what you want. Only in this way will you be able to understand your goal and how to achieve it. This was written back in 2016 and I have not read a better group of posts offering advice than these from Jam and his friend David Karmeli (ddk). I recommend reading this thread. It is a sober take on the industry and how the individual hobbyist should approach it. Here is the link:

Tima and I can relate to what Jam writes as we have both recently returned from visiting David in Utah and experienced what Jam is writing about. You should read about some systems here. Some authors explain their goals and their approaches. Reflect on those as you listen to live music and begin to understand what you really want from an audio system. It is not about digital or vinyl, or speaker and amplifier typology. It is about knowing what you want and learning for yourself how to get there. Seek advice carefully, and always assess its value based on your own experience.

After a thirty year absence, I hope you rediscover what all the fun is about and how rewarding the hobby can be.

EDIT: I think Jam gets interesting around page 3, post #32.
PeterA,

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response and attachment. I very much appreciate it.

I will give you a bit of information on my background, and what precipitated my post:

I was raised around music like most of us here. My dad loved music and loved his McIntosh equipment. I have very fond memories of listening to great jazz music with my dad in his room. This exposure to music and and equipment cut my current audiophile teeth.

I listen primarily to jazz, vocals and some rock. For me listening to music is an event for me. I am not a background music person. I like to sit down and listen to great recordings. I appreciate the sonic experience more than the genre of music.

I started to get involved in audio in my twenties when I would go to an audio shop on my lunch hour (Audio Dimensions in Royal Oak, MI for those Detroiters out there) and listen to the big Magnepan speakers. They were unlike anything I had ever heard. Despite my new wife's protests I bought a pair of Maggie SMGa s and a Hafler DH120 amp and preamp combo. Such great little speakers (still have them). Children and other responsibilities put my further audiophile aspirations on pause.

Fast forward to February of this year. I was in the basement and happened upon those Maggies and thought of what fun I had enjoying music with those speakers and thought that it would be fun to create a listening room and get back into audiophilia. I selected a small, spare room off of the family room that I could make into my room. The room is about 11' X 11' X 9' . A bit small but would probably work.

So I started doing some "research" on the internet and various podcasts, etc. and wound up purchasing a pair of Harbeth P3 ESR XDs. Given my location in West Michigan, the closest Harbeth dealer was in the Detroit area. I made an appointment to listen to the speakers, but I had to hurry up because the owner had to set up some Estelon speakers that afternoon for a customer to trial in their home. My $3,600 purchase was more of an annoyance than anything else.

BTW, I had tried to buy some of the new little Maggie LRSs but could not even get a response after multiple emails and phone calls, so I gave up. Magnepans were outdated technology anyhow, right?

I always had an appreciation for the Audio Research gear that Harry Francis used to power the Maggies at Audio Dimensions, but never thought I would ever be able to afford a piece of ARC gear. The introduction of the I-50 integrated brought ARC in reach and I decided to buy one. Again, I had to go to the Detroit area to purchase one. I called the dealer and the salesperson said that they had one in stock but couldn't guarantee for how long, so I bought it over the phone. I picked it up a few days later without having ever listened to an I-50.

The bug bit again after setting up my new gear. Since I am now a card carrying audiophile, I should go to AXPONA '22 in Chicago. I bought a two-day pass and made reservations for a room at the Renaissance. While I wandered through the rooms, it became obvious how inadequate my system was. I needed more and better. There were a few rooms that stood out to me....Borreson, Raidho, Piega, Stenheim, Joseph Audio, Acora and Von Schweikert. I had really never heard of Von Schweikert before finding the forums a few months ago, and there seemed to be a pretty fervent following. They kind of looked like cheap knock-offs of Wilson speakers to me. It's funny, it seems like there are Wilson people and there are Von Schweikert people and the two do not mix. Anyhow, the Von Schweikerts sounded absolutely amazing. More real than anything I had heard to that point. Of course there was probably a million dollars worth of equipment in that room. I had read that the Von Schweikert Unifield 2 Mark IIIs were pretty amazing, and somewhat within reach at $10,000 so I thought I would see if they had a pair I could hear. They didn't, but they did have a pair of Endeavor E-3 Mk IIs which retail for $9,000. I asked if I could hear them and they said that they would set them up for me the following morning for me to listen to. They sounded fantastic. Having been assured that they would not be too big for my room, I bit the bullet and bought the show demos and brought them back.

No regrets, fantastic speakers...but they don't produce the scale of image that the old Magnepans did. Lifesize. I consulted the Oracle on the interwebs and found that they still sound great, but cool people don't listen to them and that they are really hard to drive. I sought out to find a pair somewhere not too far away to listen to this time. I couldn't find 20.7s but I could find 3.7s at a dealer an hour or so away from me. They sounded pretty good but were not broken-in and didn't seem to be set up very well. Rather than place an order for a pair of the 3.7s I decided to sleep on it (pretty proud of myself for that). I set out the following day doing more "research" and finding out that what I really want was not the puny 3.7s but the large-and-in-charge 20.7s. They were said to sound like $100,000 speakers if driven properly. That was the validation I needed to break out the credit card and place an order for the 20.7s! They were a steal at $18,000 (sorry, price just increased from $15k) Just like the giant ones I used to listen to at Audio Dimensions! They should be here in 18 short weeks!

But now what to do about power? One guy says Rogue Audio Apollo Dark monoblocks ($15k) with an RP-9 preamp (9k), one guy says that you can't really use old-school tubes on these any more and the hybrid Aesthetix monoblocks ($28k/pair) plus a pre-amp ($?), another guys says that he has really found "synergy" between the Audio Research Ref 6 SE (used $15k) and the Merrill 118 monoblocks ($38k).

Oh, BTW, I will be visiting Jim Smith in Atlanta on June 7th to learn about proper speaker placement. My hybrid Sumiko Master/Wilson WASP method that I have been using is obviously inadequate. I really need to step it up. I'm sure that Jim will have an equipment ecommendation for me as well. Oh and while I'm in Atlanta, I should stop by the dealer that sold me the VSA E3 MkIIs...I promise, I won't buy anything, honey...

And that is where I am as of yesterday, May 21, 2022. Pretty embarassing to write down. That sure is some strong Kool-Aid they are selling.

Sorry for being long-winded.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Good question and good idea!

To the moderators - is there any way to do a search for a piece of equipment in the members (ie, under their signatures or About sections)...and not the forums?

The search facilities of WBF have always been very poor. But using with knowledge the advanced google features we can find anything in this forum!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The search facilities of WBF have always been very poor. But using with knowledge the advanced google features we can find anything in this forum!

Indeed, google searches of items on the WBF forum are *much* better (just add "what's best forum" in quotation marks; adding those marks searches only for the entire term).

But that is the case for many sites. For example, I usually start searches for items on Amazon by googling the item and adding the word Amazon. The internal search engine of Amazon just isn't that good. Same holds for Discogs, I could go on. It's very hard to beat Google, really.

Bartolo

Jan 31, 2019
If this helps . . .

I for one firmly believe that there is no single right choice of hardware for any given owner/listener/hi fi enthusiast. All of the "good" gear is so good now that the differences can be quite subtle (and often one has to train one's ears to hear it), and/or it's possible to enjoy a variety of presentations that differ from each other somewhat subtly.

So after going so long with no hi fi at home, my belief is that there is at least some element of 'you can't go wrong' with much of the popular gear.

Because to really HAVE preferences you'll need to really educate yourself. Which means finding ways to listen to a variety of systems. Which absent a lot of brick and mortar stores, as you note, is difficult. And I really need to point out that hi fi sound very different in different rooms; so just because you like something at a dealer's extensively sound-treated listening room, it may well not sound all that similar in your own living room.

So what's a bloke to do? You've received good advice in this thread already.

One of your biggest decisions is source material. Do you own nice vinyl records? Do you own a lot of cds? Would you like to be able to control playback using an iPhone or iPad and not 'mess' with cds? (Because online lossless streaming works really well in 2022!). These decisions are important as they relate to whether you need to buy a turntable and phono stage, and/or cd player or streamer/player.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing