Furutech GTX-D Rhodium NCF Outlet

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, if you wrap the barrel of the RCA with a few layers of teflon, doesn't that make it very hard to actually turn on and off the thread when releasing the RCA from the input? I agree the barrel on my WBT's has dropped off a few times, which is annoying, but one just screws it back on. The trick is to remember to turn it towards the input when releasing, otherwise you are possibly overtightening the whole affair, which I worry could actually lead to some damage. That aspect to me seems to be the biggest concern with this type of plug.

Nah, it just makes it smooth and with a little resistance. You should never be using enough torque on the locking barrel that it could possibly cause any damage. Just enough so the plug doesn't pull off the jack is fine.

I've also been using viscoelastic dampers on the barrels, they are really nice but my supplier changed things and the new stuff isn't working out. I have some carbon fiber tubing I've been playing with and this works even better, basically rings of carbon fiber that slip over the locking barrel. I may offer these as a stand-alone product to go with the WBT RCA plugs. I think that's the one thing WBT can improve, mechanical damping of the locking barrels.

Reactions: DaveyF

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Dave, the WBT locking barrels seem to be pretty durable and I think they do their job well...not sure how much of an upswing one gets by dampening that area, I would have thought that the locking aspect is more important....creating a solid connection with minimal to no loss. I actually own some cables that are from yesteryear, that the designer, Don Palmer, added mechanical and electrical dampening to the cable itself. At the time it was pretty revolutionary, but for some reason it never really caught on? Cable does sound very good, albeit it is beaten these days by some of the better high speed cabling.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Dave, the WBT locking barrels seem to be pretty durable and I think they do their job well...not sure how much of an upswing one gets by dampening that area, I would have thought that the locking aspect is more important....creating a solid connection with minimal to no loss. I actually own some cables that are from yesteryear, that the designer, Don Palmer, added mechanical and electrical dampening to the cable itself. At the time it was pretty revolutionary, but for some reason it never really caught on? Cable does sound very good, albeit it is beaten these days by some of the better high speed cabling.

The damping can make a pretty big difference. Some other cable makers damp WBT locking barrels.

Furutech is also evidence it makes a difference. Many of their connectors are exactly the same with the only difference being a stainless steel and carbon fiber body. This can make for some unbelievable differences. I've tested almost every one of them and the Furutech CF versions are always significantly better than their brass or plastic bodied versions... even though the electrical contacts are exactly the same.

So yes, I do thing WBT is leaving something on the table and the plugs can be significantly improved by damping the locking barrel.

Reactions: DaveyF

ayreman

Jan 2, 2017
Ukraine
I had a clear preference for the crimp sleeves vs bare (stranded) wire inside those connectors as the end result came together more cleanly. There's a lot of extra space in there, which is maybe why Dave is wrapping extra wire. But I didn't like the splaying of the bare wires inside the connectors and felt best using the sleeves. Caig ProGold is what I use in lieu of the Furutech stuff. Works great at substantial cost savings.

If worried about signal loss from materials, we should then be considering bare wire and ditching the connectors.
bazelio, I have 2 questions:
1. Could you please attach a photo(s) of the crimp sleeves you found worked best with CF-201 (R)?
2. When choosing spades for your speaker cables... what options did you test and compare? Did CF-201 (R) beat everything else hands down or was there a "|close call" with another contestant?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Ayreman,

Forgive me for replying to your question to bazelio; the crimp sleeves need to match your wire bundle as tightly as possible, so that it is not loose prior to actual compression. WBT are good, as is their crimp tool..

Rgds,
Paul

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Hi @ayreman ,

Just to be clear, I didn't say I tried various different crimp sleeves and found that one type was better than another. I simply said I tried twisting the bare wire and clamping down the connectors first and then also tried crimping. I preferred the crimped wires from a purely mechanical connection standpoint. A copper sheet should work also, but the reason to do that over copper crimp sleeves isn't intuitive to me. These are the sleeves I used (despite using Furutech spades): http://www.wbtusa.com/pages/crimpsleeves.html . Then someone loaned the WBT crimping tool to me. Easy peasy. If you're building silver wires, it'd make sense to use the silver WBT crimp sleeves instead of copper. Either way, just make sure the sleeves are a matching gauge to the wire so that there isn't a void. I didn't go to great lengths to select the specific spades. The connector choice for me always comes down to either Furutech or WBT. I'm familiar with how the materials they use differ in terms of sound, having done a fair number of DIY interconnects with the different types. In this case, I went with Furutech. Both are good, though slightly different.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
The damping can make a pretty big difference. Some other cable makers damp WBT locking barrels.

Furutech is also evidence it makes a difference. Many of their connectors are exactly the same with the only difference being a stainless steel and carbon fiber body. This can make for some unbelievable differences. I've tested almost every one of them and the Furutech CF versions are always significantly better than their brass or plastic bodied versions... even though the electrical contacts are exactly the same.

So yes, I do thing WBT is leaving something on the table and the plugs can be significantly improved by damping the locking barrel.

Thanks, Dave.

I won't disagree that the dampening can make a difference, just like so many variables in this hobby. ( many of which I have experienced myself).
Question in my mind is why this should matter....any thoughts on that?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks, Dave.

I won't disagree that the dampening can make a difference, just like so many variables in this hobby. ( many of which I have experienced myself).
Question in my mind is why this should matter....any thoughts on that?

Probably the exact same reason footers and racks change the sound. :)

Reactions: bazelio

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Probably the exact same reason footers and racks change the sound. :)
Ok, but why...any idea? Racks present a much larger footprint to a back wave or directional wave of sound than the other two...and they are usually subject to impact from less than rigid floors... or other underlying support. Footers, that’s another question, but their main duty is to add isolation to the supported gear, and in some instances to level it. The amount of wave impact on the footer should be very negligible, imo. Therefore, the same cannot really be said about it vs. the rack. OTOH, the barrel of the plug....how much wave impact is that likely to be seeing, I would say...nil.
So, maybe something else is going on, no?

purevinyl

Jan 7, 2018
has anyone tried Furutech 105.1 NCF Receptacle Cover?

any improvement/difference between the Furutech 105 NCF Cover?

Cheers

RnRmf

Apr 29, 2015
has anyone tried Furutech 105.1 NCF Receptacle Cover?

any improvement/difference between the Furutech 105 NCF Cover?

Cheers

I looked up info about it, last year and I thought I read a Furutech description that indicated the ".1" version was a minor redesign to fit better the duplex and wall plate but I'm not 100% on that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing