Given this room, what is best for windows reflection and correct positioning of speakers

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
My setup:
Burmester 151 Music Center
Burmester 088 Preamp
Burmester 911 MK3 Power amp
Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Evolution +SuperPack with Ortofon Cadenza Black
Pro-Ject Phono Box RS2
Burmester BA31 Ambience Loudspeakers
Burmester V6 Rack
Burmester 948 Power Conditioner
Burmester Silver interconnects 3x
Better Cables Silver Serpent II Balanced XLR Audio Cable
Burmester speaker cables
Matrix XSabre MQA (for DSD/MQA)
iFi iGalvinizer 3.0
iFi Mercury 3.0 USB cables
UpTone EtherRegen with Supra RJ45 cable CAT 8 (coming soon)
Apple Mac mini with Audirvana (coming soon)
Dedicated power line with CB Gigawatt 16A (in the process)

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
BEAUTIFUL ROOM!

Reactions: Gankhuyag

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
speakers out further into the room, get rid of the coffee table 'thingy', move the 'massage' bed to somewhere else and replace with something far more comfortable for listening.

As for the windows, heavily lined retractable drapes for the lower half.

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
What speakers are you using? The ones shown appear far too close to the back wall. I'm sure you don't want to spoil the view so I'll not suggest you block it with curtains but to swtitch to horn speakers such as Avantgarges. These are far more directional than boxed speakers and far less fussy about closeness to walls or their surfaces. My own room is even more difficult than yours being semi-circular (actually more parabolic) with floor-to-ceing glazing along the curved walls, but only 7'7" ceiling height. I don't want curtains as these would block my valued view too. My Avantgarde Duos sound great. I tried Martin Logan electrostatics but they objected to their mid-room positioning.

You'll probably need more soft furnishing such as carpet, but maybe there is some. It appears too echoey, but hopefully you can adress that without resorting to curtains, You could perhaps (as I do) have some curtaining stored on the pillar between your glazing in such a way your view is retained but offering some degree of acoustic treatment. Anything you can do to soften the wall behind the listening position would help too. The yellow chair looks 1000% more comfortable than the grey job, so furniture needs moving or changing! Good luck - that should make a great room.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
Given the level of available resources your system and room suggest, and the obvious challenge of such a large room, high ceiling and expanse of glass I would suggest that you engage a professional room acoustics design/consultation firm. Since I am a convert to ZR Acoustics panels my recommendation would naturally be that you contact Delta Design/ZR for a consultation/proposal. But you could also use one of the conventional acoustics firms or get more than one consult/proposal. If you go the DIY route the most important step is eliminating the reflections off of the wall behind the speakers.

dcathro

Sep 16, 2016
Melbourne, Australia
  • Sad

Elliot G.

Industry Expert
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
www.bendingwaveusa.com
The two most important things that you need to do to get very good sound are
1) Positioning the speakers- room is large and you should move them out from the rear wall. It seems as if the speaker on the right is fairly far away from the glass windows so that is good to have space on the outside of the two speakers as well. The proper distance requires listening and moving the speakers in small increments and listening to the result. If you don't know how to do this or don't want to you can hire people to do this for you.
2),, The second thing is where you are going to sit. In the picture there are two items directly in front of the speakers are neither really looks like a comfortable place to sit, relax and enjoy the music.
Generally if you set up a TRIANGLE with the speakers 8-12 feet apart ( this is just an approx. since I am not in the room) and sit approx. 10-15 feet away ( again approx.) this is where you can begin to listen.
It is possible you might need some treatments on the windows or even the walls but that is really hard to say just from a rendering.
The overall acoustics of this room have to be experienced rather than take a look, echo, reflections etc.

hogen

May 15, 2018
Oslo, Norway
My setup:
Burmester 151 Music Center
Burmester 088 Preamp
Burmester 911 MK3 Power amp
Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Evolution +SuperPack with Ortofon Cadenza Black
Pro-Ject Phono Box RS2
Burmester BA31 Ambience Loudspeakers
Burmester V6 Rack
Burmester 948 Power Conditioner
Burmester Silver interconnects 3x
Nice setup! Just lacks a turntable;)

Reactions: RCottin

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Well, he says he has a Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Evolution. I guess we just don't see it.

Beautiful room. I may be wrong and mean no disrespect, but it seems you are seeking general background music for the room since it does not appear to be a typical audiophile lair with an optimized listening spot, correct?

May I also ask, what is the interesting 3 layered thing in the top right of the photo? Outdoor lighting?

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IMO. we worry about bad first reflections Less of a problem in large rooms. Given the likely sweet spot I do not think the windows are going to be a problem. If you have a laser pointer and a ,Mirror you caan put the mirror on the window. stand at the speaker point the laser at the mirror. See where the reflection goes. It will probably miss the listening position.

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
speakers out further into the room, get rid of the coffee table 'thingy', move the 'massage' bed to somewhere else and replace with something far more comfortable for listening.

As for the windows, heavily lined retractable drapes for the lower half.
Thank you. I will get rid of the furniture that designers suggested. Will follow your advices :)

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
What speakers are you using? The ones shown appear far too close to the back wall. I'm sure you don't want to spoil the view so I'll not suggest you block it with curtains but to swtitch to horn speakers such as Avantgarges. These are far more directional than boxed speakers and far less fussy about closeness to walls or their surfaces. My own room is even more difficult than yours being semi-circular (actually more parabolic) with floor-to-ceing glazing along the curved walls, but only 7'7" ceiling height. I don't want curtains as these would block my valued view too. My Avantgarde Duos sound great. I tried Martin Logan electrostatics but they objected to their mid-room positioning.

You'll probably need more soft furnishing such as carpet, but maybe there is some. It appears too echoey, but hopefully you can adress that without resorting to curtains, You could perhaps (as I do) have some curtaining stored on the pillar between your glazing in such a way your view is retained but offering some degree of acoustic treatment. Anything you can do to soften the wall behind the listening position would help too. The yellow chair looks 1000% more comfortable than the grey job, so furniture needs moving or changing! Good luck - that should make a great room.
This is just a concept drawing. Anything can be changed. My speakers are Burmester BA31.

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
IMO. we worry about bad first reflections Less of a problem in large rooms. Given the likely sweet spot I do not think the windows are going to be a problem. If you have a laser pointer and a ,Mirror you caan put the mirror on the window. stand at the speaker point the laser at the mirror. See where the reflection goes. It will probably miss the listening position.
Good advice. Thank you. Will check

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
Well, he says he has a Pro-Ject Xtension 10 Evolution. I guess we just don't see it.

Beautiful room. I may be wrong and mean no disrespect, but it seems you are seeking general background music for the room since it does not appear to be a typical audiophile lair with an optimized listening spot, correct?

May I also ask, what is the interesting 3 layered thing in the top right of the photo? Outdoor lighting?
Hi there,
1.The render is just a concept of my house where I will move next month. Here is the real photo of my current setup.
2. trying to find optimized listening spot. The furniture and other staff are just a suggestion of a designer
3. Oh, that is just a suspended chandelier

thank you

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
Hi there,
1.The render is just a concept of my house where I will move next month. Here is the real photo of my current setup.
2. trying to find optimized listening spot. The furniture and other staff are just a suggestion of a designer
3. Oh, that is just a suspended chandelier

thank you

Attachments

• 8C151B32-4826-46A7-BDB7-C8063991864A.jpeg
    8C151B32-4826-46A7-BDB7-C8063991864A.jpeg
    670.7 KB · Views: 73

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
1) Positioning the speakers- room is large and you should move them out from the rear wall. It seems as if the speaker on the right is fairly far away from the glass windows so that is good to have space on the outside of the two speakers as well. The proper distance requires listening and moving the speakers in small increments and listening to the result. If you don't know how to do this or don't want to you can hire people to do this for you.
2),, The second thing is where you are going to sit. In the picture there are two items directly in front of the speakers are neither really looks like a comfortable place to sit, relax and enjoy the music.
Generally if you set up a TRIANGLE with the speakers 8-12 feet apart ( this is just an approx. since I am not in the room) and sit approx. 10-15 feet away ( again approx.) this is where you can begin to listen.
It is possible you might need some treatments on the windows or even the walls but that is really hard to say just from a rendering.
The overall acoustics of this room have to be experienced rather than take a look, echo, reflections etc.
Thank you very much. Will try hard to experience once I move into my new house.

Last edited:

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia

This is a render picture

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
Maybe not for audio :)
I know, but trying to improve it

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
Given the level of available resources your system and room suggest, and the obvious challenge of such a large room, high ceiling and expanse of glass I would suggest that you engage a professional room acoustics design/consultation firm. Since I am a convert to ZR Acoustics panels my recommendation would naturally be that you contact Delta Design/ZR for a consultation/proposal. But you could also use one of the conventional acoustics firms or get more than one consult/proposal. If you go the DIY route the most important step is eliminating the reflections off of the wall behind the speakers.
Thank you. Unfortunately, I am so far away from you. In freezing and snowy Mongolia.

Reactions: the sound of Tao

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing