Given this room, what is best for windows reflection and correct positioning of speakers

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think another point to consider is there are windows and then there are "windows." You are dealing with structural glass, not farm house window panes that sing along with the music. It may not be as big a problem as you think. Aesthetics aside you have many options for placement that allow minimal interaction with walls.

Start with the basics. See where you are.

Reactions: hogen and Gankhuyag

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
I think another point to consider is there are windows and then there are "windows." You are dealing with structural glass, not farm house window panes that sing along with the music. It may not be as big a problem as you think. Aesthetics aside you have many options for placement that allow minimal interaction with walls.

Start with the basics. See where you are.
Got it. Much appreciated.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
From your owners manual. You have a rear firing tweeter. That means at least 1meter from the back wall.
The spatial audio reproduction increases with a greater distance between the speakers
and the wall, while the bass reproduction decreases. The BA71 speakers are designed
so that they do not need to be positioned near a wall to accentuate the bass. However,
since listening spaces have very different acoustic properties, positioning near a wall
may improve the acoustics in some cases.
The two speakers should be placed 2.50 m to 4.00 m apart. Ideally, the space between
them should remain free of any other objects. In a room with a rectangular ? oor space,
it is preferable to place the speakers on the longer wall instead of the shorter wall.
Similarly, positioning in the "hard" acoustic area (along smooth walls and windows) of
the room is preferable to the "soft" acoustic area (muted by upholstered furniture,
books and carpet). This especially applies for the amb...

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well i have never heard your speaker. But I am a dipole guy. I hope your speakers are not heavy because it is going to be a lot of trial and error.:D

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I was hoping some of the more room savvy members would chime here.i usually have no trouble drawing there attentions whenever I comment on room acoustics. lol.

Reactions: Gankhuyag

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
I have added acoustical room treatments to several small listening rooms including my current one which was built from scratch as a dedicated listening room. And I have used many of the leading brands of absorbers, diffusers, bass traps and other acoustical devices including ASC, ASI, Echo Busters, GIK, RPG, and most recently ZR Acoustics. One thing that I have learned is that eliminating the reflections off of the wall behind the speakers is more important than treating the other wall/ceiling/floor surfaces, although you cannot have great sound without treating them all. So if I had your room I would cover at least half of the wall behind your speakers with a combination of ZR Acoustics Sample Rate and Hybrid panels (which have proven superior to all of the others I've tried in my room) before addressing the side walls, opposite wall, and ceiling. The closer you move your speakers to the wall behind them the more effective the ZR panels are (and the fewer you need). Not sure how that works with a rear firing tweeter. Never dealt with such high ceilings or such a vast expanse of glass before so rather than speculate I defer to someone who has worked with something similar. In your position I would contact Delta Design/ZR and ask for a virtual consult. Your room is similar in size to some of the larger film and recording studios the've done.

Gankhuyag

Oct 19, 2020
Mongolia
I have added acoustical room treatments to several small listening rooms including my current one which was built from scratch as a dedicated listening room. And I have used many of the leading brands of absorbers, diffusers, bass traps and other acoustical devices including ASC, ASI, Echo Busters, GIK, RPG, and most recently ZR Acoustics. One thing that I have learned is that eliminating the reflections off of the wall behind the speakers is more important than treating the other wall/ceiling/floor surfaces, although you cannot have great sound without treating them all. So if I had your room I would cover at least half of the wall behind your speakers with a combination of ZR Acoustics Sample Rate and Hybrid panels (which have proven superior to all of the others I've tried in my room) before addressing the side walls, opposite wall, and ceiling. The closer you move your speakers to the wall behind them the more effective the ZR panels are (and the fewer you need). Not sure how that works with a rear firing tweeter. Never dealt with such high ceilings or such a vast expanse of glass before so rather than speculate I defer to someone who has worked with something similar. In your position I would contact Delta Design/ZR and ask for a virtual consult. Your room is similar in size to some of the larger film and recording studios the've done.
Great. Thanks. I will dig more into Delta Design/ZR solutions.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
you can also purchase software that will allow you to see what is going on in your room.

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
Beautiful view - must be lovely there in Ulaanbaatar!

Reactions: hogen and Gankhuyag

findog

Apr 29, 2019
www.tinyurl.com
It's on my bucket list to visit.

• Love

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That is a more convenient approach for me to do preliminary test! Any suggestions on the app?
i really don't know. What is your computer? Mac or PC? It has been a while since we discussed it here. I can make some inquiries. If you like.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
  • Love

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing