Golden Gate to Pacific or Horizon - differences?

itay123

Mar 5, 2023
hi,

I would like to know, to what extent the differences exist between the GG and the Pacific and from there to the Horizon...?
My next projects is probably upgrading the source and DAC,
it will probably start with the SERVER/Streamer network, will check it thoroughly soon,
probably the direction will be the Antipodes OLADRA g4, and the next step is upgrading the DAC from the Golden Gate (Balance) to -Pacific (Balance) or stretch the rope to Horizon (Balance),
my question, for those who have made the aforementioned switch, what differences did they mainly feel? My Pre-amp is a PILIUM Alexander, so I don't need a volume/pre control...

Thanks in advance

keithc

Dec 31, 2022
Paging @Golum @Blake and @christoph who had the GG + Pacific.

Putting in a plug for also considering the LDMS server which a number of us here on WBF use with their Lampizator Pacific/Horizon DACs. There's a thread on the Computer Audio forum about this.

Reactions: itay123

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I do believe all questions above were answered many many times on this forum in dedicated threads about Pacific, later on Horizon and LDMS as such. Anyhow if I would briefly summarize:
- Avoid balanced GG/Pac as IMHO you get nothing SQ wise vs SE version except pain to source NOS tubes which sooner or later you will or will want to do
- Horizon is natively Balanced so above does not apply to it
- GG vs PAC -> GG more tubey/warm sounding, tad less dynamic. PAC more detailed, faster and consequently tad "colder" sounding. All this with Engine 53. PAC 2 and GG3 I did not hear in my system hence can't comment
- Horizon best blend of virtues of PAC and GG and some more. Total bingo in my book
- LDMS server again fantastic unit with even more fantastic post sales care from the compony owner. Using it I believe now for 5 years with no single glitch and during the time upgraded power supply as well as chassis and outputs (spdif) - will add most likely i2s in the next round. Sonically exceptional by any means and out of heavy hitters like Taiko, Pink Faun 2.16,...probably best bang for the buck

Hope it helps...

Cheers;
G

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
hi,

I would like to know, to what extent the differences exist between the GG and the Pacific and from there to the Horizon...?
My next projects is probably upgrading the source and DAC,
it will probably start with the SERVER/Streamer network, will check it thoroughly soon,
probably the direction will be the Antipodes OLADRA g4, and the next step is upgrading the DAC from the Golden Gate (Balance) to -Pacific (Balance) or stretch the rope to Horizon (Balance),
my question, for those who have made the aforementioned switch, what differences did they mainly feel? My Pre-amp is a PILIUM Alexander, so I don't need a volume/pre control...

Thanks in advance
If you can swing the Horizon, you should do it ;)
As excellent as the Pacific is, the Horizon is really much better in every aspect :eek:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing