Got to listen to this today for a short bit!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
What were your impressions of the setup? It looks very, very nice!

Tom

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
It is indeed a very nice set up!

The sound was excellent but did not overwhelm me with awesomeness. My time there was very short and only had a chance to listen to a couple songs. In my opinion the speakers were too far apart. I feel the towers should have been reversed, but that is my opinion, I was not the one measuring and setting them up.

I have come to the conclusion that Wilson speakers do not sound good outside of a purpose built listening room. In this case their theater was the only room big enough to let them breath, but its a purpose built theater, and an awesome one at that, but not a dedicated listening room. My one and only complaint with Wilson speakers is the Tweeters as I always know where they are at all times and I think the distance between the speakers in this environment amplified that.
So in short the sound quality was amazing the soundstage not so much which hindered the potential of the whole experience.

I will say this however, in earlier threads there was much discussions and debate over value. I will say the of the uber expensive speakers out there, after looking at these up close and personal, these could definitely be considered a value at that price. The build quality and attention to detail is off the charts. When you look close at all aspects of design, architecture, machine work, materials, fit and finish the pricing is fair. If it were my design and I knew it was a limited production run, and at that price it is, the price is justified.

There is only one place I have ever heard Wilsons disappear and that is Steve's room, a purpose built listening environment, the Wilsons sound exquisite.

It is truly an amazing speaker that I would love to hear in a dedicated room with some time to spare.

Hats off to Wilson, extremely well done.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing