Grand Prix Audio Monaco 3.0 turntable

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
First look at the GPA Monaco 3.0 by Roy Gregory. compares 2.0 to 3.0. Don’t think he used new battery. Full review to follow.

Thanks for that Lxgreen, much appreciated.

From Roy's description of its size, it sounds like the battery power supply exists. I'm vaguely recalling it works with both the v2 and v3 controller. I cannot recall if John (@jfrech) has it or not. With luck Roy will have one for his full review.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
First look at the GPA Monaco 3.0 by Roy Gregory. compares 2.0 to 3.0. Don’t think he used new battery. Full review to follow.

Excerp from review:

The improvement was as obvious as it was shockingly effective. The increase in dynamic range and resolution, the reduction in grain, the improved dimensionality, focus and presence, the distinction between the body of performers/instruments and the enclosed acoustic space, the absence of the mechanical or process related artefacts that separate the reproduced performance from the sense and musical impact of the original event – all were present, all were obvious, but all were also integrated into a magnificently persuasive and natural whole. The v3.0 made the v2.0 sound small, compressed and muted, both in terms of colour and dynamics, which is fairly remarkable given that the v2.0 generally does just that to other record players.
Thanks for posting. That is exactly what I am hearing.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Thanks for that Lxgreen, much appreciated.

From Roy's description of its size, it sounds like the battery power supply exists. I'm vaguely recalling it works with both the v2 and v3 controller. I cannot recall if John (@jfrech) has it or not. With luck Roy will have one for his full review.
I have the battery, but I have not tried it AC only. Another user here has the 3.0 w/o battery and is getting the battery on a demo to post for us all soon

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I have the battery, but I have not tried it AC only. Another user here has the 3.0 w/o battery and is getting the battery on a demo to post for us all soon

Cool. I look forward to your take. I"m glad that he actually built it. It has been a while since I talked with Alvin; he is usually super busy.

I'm vaguely recalling you were using an alternate power supply to the GPA wall wart and found improvement that way.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Cool. I look forward to your take. I"m glad that he actually built it. It has been a while since I talked with Alvin; he is usually super busy.

I'm vaguely recalling you were using an alternate power supply to the GPA wall wart and found improvement that way.
Hi I did on my Monaco 1.0 and 2.0. First I used a Red Wine Audio battery, thought it was a little quieter. Then the Nagra Classic PSU was another step up, less noise more clarity.

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
This member from Audioexotics forum seems to think the battery made a big difference.

This chassis on top of the computer is the battery power supply for the computer and motor control. Alvin of Grand Prix Audio spent over a year to develop it for Monaco analog turntable. After connection and chosen ISO (complete isolation from the AC mains), the presence of vocal is enhanced tremendously. For example, his/her intake of air and release of lung muscle is delivered with energy that defines realism. Even background vocal has a soul. By the same token, musicians behind every instrument become alive. Dynamic contrast is notably improved as a result of much faster transient. Bass is snappy with focus. Everything is alive.

Reactions: jfrech and tima

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
Hi Peter, I agree everything is worth trying. My suspicion (or is it preconceived bias? ) on the Grand Prix Monaco 3.0 is that a power cord won't matter. When playing, it's off a battery and the entire PSU is disconnected from AC. But we all know something may still be feeding back into the wall...after I get settled in with the new table, I'll for sure get back to you here.
It’s likely the ground wire that is causing a difference in sound. This is likely still connected to the AC, even when in battery only mode.

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The dealer showed me how he changes Record sides or puts on new record. He just held the platter while still rotating to stop it and removed the record, then held it again to put new record on. It seems like this should be a bad thing but he speaks with Alvin Lloyd regularly so I’m assuming he checked this out.
Can I ask why not just lift the record off the spinning platter?

Lxgreen

Jul 27, 2020
Westlake Village, CA, USA
Can I ask why not just lift the record off the spinning platter?
The platter had a clamp that needs to be unscrewed and screwed on. Tough to do with spinning platter

Reactions: tima

Zeotrope

Feb 11, 2021
France, Canada
The platter had a clamp that needs to be unscrewed and screwed on. Tough to do with spinning platter
I see thanks, dumb question on my part! It’s like the Brinkmann Bardo. That’s direct drive so it’s not a problem to hold the platter with your hand, even with the power on.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Well, I got to try the battery vs ac wall wart on the Monaco 3.0. My battery supply had gone back to GPA for an update so about 2 weeks on the factory supplied AC wall wart. It sounded great, I had also rec'd my new Nagra HD Phono so a few changes at once.

Yesterday my dealer brought the battery out so got to listen to it again. First I will say the Monaco 3.0 computer is a big step up from the 2.0 computer. If you're considering this in steps, the 3.0 computer alone is the first thing to do. Again, I thought the AC sounded great until the battery came back. Umm, yes the battery makes big diff. First it's just more quiet, like quite a bit. How this is happening I can't tell you but it's easily heard. Everything, every instrument is more palpable, more real sounding. Definitely more dynamic energy that you can feel. I swear the AC just sounded slower in everything (but no speed change).

So a big YES on getting the battery supply from Grand Prix Audio.

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
After waiting for some time -- a shake-out period? -- GPA is publishing information about the Monaco 3.0 on their Web site. There is also information about the Fuel Station, the new rechargeable battery power supply.

So, three components and a modular architecture that supports backward compatibility, which is pretty cool as it allows a step-wise upgrade path. The 2.0 turntable can itself be upgraded to version 3.0. Significant changes there with a new slotless fluid damped motor and super simple armboard swapping. The 3.0 controller is usable with the 3.0 and 2.0 tables. The Fuel Station works with both the Monaco 2.0 and the 3.0, and also with the Parabolica. The 3.0 controller and Fuel Station are designed to be stackable.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
see msg #10 - that was summer 2022 so not sure if it is current. best answer, ask a dealer or GPA.

Hi, Tima, link didn't work for me. I was charged $19.5k for the 3.0 Computer and $14.5 for the battery from my dealer. And I did them once at a time (battery wasn't quite done at the time). The computer alone on a Monaco 2.0 is a BIG deal (I had the 2.0 at the time). Then I added the battery, it's surprising more quiet allowing more everything, it is better and I recommend the battery. (Keep in mind at the time I was powering the Monaco 3.0 computer of a Nagra Classic Power supply, which itself is a pretty killer power supply, but alas, Alvins gizmo is better). I since had my internals on my 2.0 upgraded to 3.0 and better again.

I am only guessing and could be wrong, but a brand new 3.0 is likely around $65k with battery. Prices on everything keep going up...

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
Hi, Tima, link didn't work for me. I was charged $19.5k for the 3.0 Computer and $14.5 for the battery from my dealer. And I did them once at a time (battery wasn't quite done at the time). The computer alone on a Monaco 2.0 is a BIG deal (I had the 2.0 at the time). Then I added the battery, it's surprising more quiet allowing more everything, it is better and I recommend the battery. (Keep in mind at the time I was powering the Monaco 3.0 computer of a Nagra Classic Power supply, which itself is a pretty killer power supply, but alas, Alvins gizmo is better). I since had my internals on my 2.0 upgraded to 3.0 and better again.

I am only guessing and could be wrong, but a brand new 3.0 is likely around $65k with battery. Prices on everything keep going up...

Hi John, Thanks for the follow-up. The link just goes to the GPA support page where you can send them a message or question. The $52k mentioned in 2022 did not include the battery, so your guesstimate on total package price and also Ne Plus Ultra pricing seems in-line with those 2022 expectations. Your 2.0 was rebuilt/upgraded, not a brand new unit -- I have not seen one yet, but my understanding is there is a new motor and ... here I'm guessing ... a new carbon fiber plinth to allow the quick arm board change?

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi John, Thanks for the follow-up. The link just goes to the GPA support page where you can send them a message or question. The $52k mentioned in 2022 did not include the battery, so your guesstimate on total package price and also Ne Plus Ultra pricing seems in-line with those 2022 expectations. Your 2.0 was rebuilt/upgraded, not a brand new unit -- I have not seen one yet, but my understanding is there is a new motor and ... here I'm guessing ... a new carbon fiber plinth to allow the quick arm board change?

I did the new motor, new bearing, new platter coating, I am sure a few other things, but skipped the quick change arm board. Saved a buck but wondering If I really want that too now that I have my Safir 9 arm with no interchangeable head shells...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing