Grandioso K1X - the two Esoteric "Revolutions" installed!

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
The K03Xs has in total 6 Muses dual Op Amps in the output stage, two Muses 02 and four cheaper ones.
Very interesting: this Op Amp configuration is very similar to the output stage in the new K1X Grandioso which uses 12 single Op Amps
Muses 03.
In my K01Xs ( with the same pcb except the second level with two more AK 4497 )I have exchanged all theese dual OpAmps via brown dog adaptors and switched to BB OPA 627 single OP Amps.
The BB OPA 627 are spec-wise very similar to the Muses 03, even a bit better, and soundwise extremely similar.
Try this.
Did you find any solutions to the treble harshness? My guy says need to change the caps but there’s really not enough room..

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
Bridging the output electrolyt capacitors helps. There will be no DC offset.
To be sure you can measure it.

Reactions: John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Bridging the output electrolyt capacitors helps. There will be no DC offset.
To be sure you can measure it.
I guess there needs to be a more full scale correction beyond this though... my guy wanted to buy my K03Xs SE and give me the chance to try the new fpga x-series. I wish but can’t afford it at the moment.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
To John57:

The K03Xs has in total 6 Muses dual Op Amps in the output stage, two Muses 02 and four cheaper ones.
Very interesting: this Op Amp configuration is very similar to the output stage in the new K1X Grandioso which uses 12 single Op Amps
Muses 03.
In my K01Xs ( with the same pcb except the second level with two more AK 4497 )I have exchanged all theese dual OpAmps via brown dog adaptors and switched to BB OPA 627 single OP Amps.
The BB OPA 627 are spec-wise very similar to the Muses 03, even a bit better, and soundwise extremely similar.
And you can bridge the output electrolyt capacitors, there will be no DC offset.
So does this unit still have the signature harshness or has it been fixed??

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
So does this unit still have the signature harshness or has it been fixed??

There is no harshness anymore, instead pure musical satisfaction.
( But in combination with the Cybershaft OP20A clock plus power chord, cables...)

Reactions: John57

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
There is no harshness anymore, instead pure musical satisfaction.
( But in combination with the Cybershaft OP20A clock plus power chord, cables...)
I understand you have commercial interests here. Correct? Such upgrades are your business right? Just for full disclosure I guess.

Last edited:

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
I understand you have commercial interests here. Correct? Such upgrades are your business right?

No, I have no commercial interest in Esoteric upgrades, but a lot of enthusiasm for Esoteric and its wonderfull players. For more than three decades Im trying to upgrade them, starting with TEAC VRDS 25X over P70/D/70 to P02X/D02X and at last my new K01XS.

So Im sorry I cant help you with the work, but Im sure you can find someone doing this for you, its quite easy and there is no secret to do it.
You will not regret it, promised.
Your K03XS is a wonderfull component, maybe this helps you to enjoy it.

John57

Sep 29, 2015
Melbourne, Australia
Then thank you. And I’m envious of your skills. I’ll send you my unit, no? No.
I live in hope of eventually fixing or replacing my unit. Thanks a million for sharing your journey with us.

diaZ

Dec 30, 2019
Please share your experience if you have tuned your unit, thank you for your report of the internal shielding.

Aperalim

Jun 4, 2012
Perth, Australia
I gave my K1 Mu metal ( shielding ) treatment on all 4 of the power transformers, along with a few other mods... Made a big improvement. Looks like the new K1x has the same 4 transformers , and no shielding...
Dear Sir,
Can you describe what other modifications you made to your K1?
Also can you advise how to access internals of K1?
Look forward to hearing from you,
Cheers,
Chris

Reactions: SCAudiophile

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The following is my comments on K1X posted on the Soulnote S1 SACD Player thread on the Digital Forum last month.
https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/soulnote-s-3-cd-sacd-player-transport-d-3-dac.30849/

I copy and paste it here on the K1X thread which is a more appropriate place for it :

Yesterday I started to work on the assignment given to me by SCaudiophile and Mtakeda.
I called the Esoteric showroom for a serious audition of the Esoteric K1X.

The K1X was warmed-up and given a G-02 10M clock.

The amps were Esoteric C-02X preamp and Grandioso S1 stereo poweramp.
Speakers were Chario Academy Sovran.

My frd Raymond brought cd and sacd for the audition. Here are some of them :

What a surprise!
To be frank the AKM-chip-era Esoteric digital frontends are never my cup of tea.

The resistor-array-era Esoteric is a totally diff story.
There is a quantum leap in term of musicality!
:cool:

In fact I personally think that it's a bit resembling the personality of dCS.
:oops:

Let's talk more after I have listened to the Soulnote S-3 and Luxman D-10X.

But one thing is for sure : all cuurent Esoteric digital frontend owners must go to liaten to the new resistor-array-based series.
Many of you will take out your wallets at once!
:p

Last edited:
Reactions: QuadDiffuser

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
After being surprised by the performance of K1X at the Esoteric dealer showroom, I really wanted to know the effect of its optional external psu PS1.
https://www.esoteric.jp/en/product/ps1/top

I searched and searched and found that a frd has got the combo!
I rushed to his home and had an audition 2 days ago.

Here is his audio system :
Esoteric Grandioso top preamp & monoblock poweramps, K1X+PS1, Rockport Cygnus speakers.

20200629_221250~3.jpg

Here is his K1X + PS1 combo :

20200629_225515~4.jpg

What the PS1 does is to add not only authority but more importantly emotion to the K1X.
They are heavenly match.
Esoteric fans must buy them together!

I mentioned that K1X is a bit resembling dCS.
Paired with the PS1, my personal impression is that they are now performing at a level quite similar to a dCS Vivaldi One!
Haha. :cool:

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Great photos and a great review, thank you very much!

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The set of K1X+PS1 was given Cybershaft OP20 10M clock during our audition.
My frd brought his OP20 which was modded to have a dc input for external LPS too.

The LPS is a Deluxe Version made by Edison of N&E Audio of HK.
https://nandeaudio.com/product/low-noise-linear-power-supply-single-voltage/

Very nicely built with top components such as Mundorf caps and Audionote UK Kaisei caps.

20200629_231709~2.jpg

The sonic diff/improvement when the Cybershaft OP20 was given an external LPS was clearly audible.
Cybershaft owners please consider this mod or to upgrade to the newest models which have got the external dc power input already installed!
;)

Last edited:

matthias

Mar 14, 2019
Germany
To be frank the AKM-chip-era Esoteric digital frontends are never my cup of tea.
The resistor-array-era Esoteric is a totally diff story.
There is a quantum leap in term of musicality!
In fact I personally think that it's a bit resembling the personality of dCS.
:p

Please, can you share some details about their new DAC architecture?
Would you say it is similar to the dCS Ring DAC?
Thanks

Matt

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I have read this before my post #36 and would not say that there is enough clarification how this DAC works.
Can you explain the principles?
Thanks

Matt
I'm sorry but that's the best explanation of the circuit design and their implementation that I've found at this point. I'm actually surprised by their transparency and the level of detail they're openly sharing.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing